BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth 3 Blackburn Rovers 0

From NOTW Review

Gray 3/10 - Has to be one of the worst left backs in the premiership.

Why is it only a handful of people on this board can see Gray is crap.

If Gray was for sale, Im sure only a few clubs in the premiership would be in for him and they'd probably be watford and sheff utd.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I not surprised that when I log onto here the reaction is as though we're half way through the season, rock bottom and without a win.

Yesterday's performance was a shambles, no doubt about it. We were very poor, but one thing we must remember we were without both of our first choice centre backs, and no matter what anybody says about strength in depth etc etc that is a major blow for any side. To lose one, we should be able to deal with, but two will (and did) cause a major problem. When was the last time the Axe and Todd played together at this level ?

Also, Neil was awful and I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I think until he sorts his future out he should not be in the side - he doesn't look interested and his inclusion is only going to cause unrest amongst other players who are committed to the cause (supposed to be anyway!). At least he'll be out whilst he's suspended.

Everyone has the right to feel dissapointed after that performance and making the long journey, but lets not over react, give it a few games before you all blow you stack !

Getting confused H501

We hope..as we can;t get any worse

Its not getting beat - its the performance and the way we got beat

Exactly -first game off the season and we should be ready for it - Hughes words that we will hit the ground running.. we weren't even walking , it looked like we where crawling backwards. When has Zurab been our rock?

Not what I saw today he can't..

Yes it does if it means we have put similar performances like that and couldn't realise that Bnetley is no first teamer and Mokoena is not a RB.

Disagree - I think he is quite adpet at CB .. would appear on todays performance though he doesn't want to be be here anymore.

Zurab & Nelsen will play at CB when both fit. They are our strong hold. Todd has no pace and Neill aint a CB play him where he does best at RB

Everyone has the right to feel dissapointed after that performance and making the long journey, but lets not over react, give it a few games before you all blow you stack !

Indeed. I was chatting to an Everton fan on Friday and he said (with last season in mind) how important it was to get off to a good start.

I've said on here that imo although we finished 6th and discounting the top 3 and Sunderland that there was only a cigarette paper between the rest. We were'nt all that good last year, we struggled to beat the likes of Villa and Boro in the spring who at the time were flirting with relegation, we got easily turned over by West Brom and Everton etc.

Not wanting to be alarmist after one bad result but experience of other teams tells me maybe the emphasis should be on attitude and the old Souness target of 40 points before we start thinking that we are capable by right of another top 6 finish.

Well having watched and recorded the Sky FF 55min version, I have to say that we definitely got what we deserved. It's not so much that Pompey were the better side, but rather that they knew exactly how to play us. They (in effect) gave us a dose of our own medicine from a year or so back. They were straight in on Rovers players as soon as we got the ball; absolutely no time to settle or to think. On the day; good tactics to which we had no answer.

Secondly our defence was non-existent; complete shambles all afternoon. Neil and Axe were **********!!!!!!!

Whoever said Neil is better at CB than RB needs shooting. As for Neils two yellows and someone saying the second was a soft one, I say look again. IMO the first one could and maybe should have been a red, and the second was definitely a yellow given that the ref had specifically warned Neil earlier to be very careful. No, folks you can't blame Mr Wiley for that! Neil is a stupid ASS.

In midfield we had the only Rovers outfield player that came out with credit on the day; yes our much maligned and hated Robbie Savage! He was the only one that played his nuts off in MF. Reid was just about OK but probably not properly fit so will say no more on him. Bentley and MGP might just as well have not been on the field at all; nobody would have noticed any difference.

Up front Benni and Roberts did next to nothing, but given the complete shambles behind them I will excuse them (this time).

Brad had a good game overall; not the best he's ever had but good. Brilliant save of the penalty that should never have been.

Then we come to the performance of Rovers favorite ref, Mr. Wiley! Well surprise, surprise , I thought he did OK. He was certainly right in his sending off of Neil. He was slated for not giving Rovers a penalty when the Pompey player lay on the ball on the goal line and would not release it. Well having looked again and again at that incident I am forced to the conclusion that if our man had not stuck the boot in when and where he did (in the groin region) we would very likely have got one. You have to allow that the ref was probably thinking what to do about the situation with the Pompey guy just lying on the ball, when along comes our guy and boots where he thinks the ball is but inevitably catches the pompey guy where it hurts most and he acts accordingly giving Mr. Wiley not much choice, or an easy way out however you choose to see it. Whichever way, the ref did nothing wrong in awarding a free kick to Pompey.

For the rest of the match he was pretty even handed and performed as well/ badly as any other ref on average.

With the one exception of the Todd incident in stoppage time. When you look at it from behind as the ref did it definitely looks like Todd gets nothing on the ball and trips the man; therefore a penalty and red card for last defender. BUT when you see it from an angle further to the right you can see that Todd gets enough on the ball to send it for a corner and the Pompey player just trips over Todd's outstretched leg.

Wiley has agreed to look at it again and therefore give him credit for that. It should result in the card being rescinded.

Overall not a good day for Rovers, but as many others have said already it happend in similar fashion last year. Nuff said. :tu:

I don't understand why Hughes keeps playing Mokoena at right back when he has been terrible in that position almost without fail. I'm not trying to start a witch hunt (or Axe hunt... <_< ) but it is evident to all that the guy is a liability in defence - whether that be full back or cb.

He's tried and failed so we should look at other players to fill the gap - Emerton, Taylor (played there in pre-season last year) or even Kane.

(But not Jon Douglas! He was made to look like Darren Peacock with his boots the wrong way around by Julio Arca in a Worthy Cup game against Sunderland whilst playing right back).

I forgot how depressing this place can get after a defeat. Come on guys, it was one game and we usually start badly. There is no reason to blow this out of proportion and say that we are favourites for relegation, we are still good candidates for Europe and we should bring in a few more players in the next couple of weeks to make us even better. As has been pointed out, several teams have done poorly this weekend and not all of them have suddenly become favourites to go down.

It isn't the end of the world, but like all but the top 4 we have to be worrying about relegation and bottom half finishes for a good part of the season, it is up to the squad to play the way that we can. One game doesn't change our plans for the season, I'm sure Hughes will be working hard to get everything right and hopefully there will be players comig in to plug some gaps.

We wont go down but a game against Pompey is something we should be looking to get something out of with ambitions of a European place. The difference between making it to Europe and not is a very thin line.

Thankfully, this was only the first game and it gives us the chance to get it right straight away.

Come on you Blues.

Glad you can see the funny side coz I cant :angry:

I just find it amusing how Rovers fans completely and utterly over react after a defeat, especially after the first game. I was at West Ham last year and the second half performance was one of the most abject performances I've ever seen, yet we had a great season. People need to calm down and not come out wiith stupidly over blown booming statements like:

"SORT IT OUT HUGHES, SORT IT OUT NOW!"

or

"Forget about Europe, it's the Championship next season"

Somebody dig up the West Ham thread from last season, It's an exact copy of this one.

Well having watched and recorded the Sky FF 55min version, I have to say that we definitely got what we deserved. It's not so much that Pompey were the better side, but rather that they knew exactly how to play us. They (in effect) gave us a dose of our own medicine from a year or so back. They were straight in on Rovers players as soon as we got the ball; absolutely no time to settle or to think. On the day; good tactics to which we had no answer.

Secondly our defence was non-existent; complete shambles all afternoon. Neil and Axe were **********!!!!!!!

Whoever said Neil is better at CB than RB needs shooting. As for Neils two yellows and someone saying the second was a soft one, I say look again. IMO the first one could and maybe should have been a red, and the second was definitely a yellow given that the ref had specifically warned Neil earlier to be very careful. No, folks you can't blame Mr Wiley for that! Neil is a stupid ASS.

In midfield we had the only Rovers outfield player that came out with credit on the day; yes our much maligned and hated Robbie Savage! He was the only one that played his nuts off in MF. Reid was just about OK but probably not properly fit so will say no more on him. Bentley and MGP might just as well have not been on the field at all; nobody would have noticed any difference.

Up front Benni and Roberts did next to nothing, but given the complete shambles behind them I will excuse them (this time).

Brad had a good game overall; not the best he's ever had but good. Brilliant save of the penalty that should never have been.

Then we come to the performance of Rovers favorite ref, Mr. Wiley! Well surprise, surprise , I thought he did OK. He was certainly right in his sending off of Neil. He was slated for not giving Rovers a penalty when the Pompey player lay on the ball on the goal line and would not release it. Well having looked again and again at that incident I am forced to the conclusion that if our man had not stuck the boot in when and where he did (in the groin region) we would very likely have got one. You have to allow that the ref was probably thinking what to do about the situation with the Pompey guy just lying on the ball, when along comes our guy and boots where he thinks the ball is but inevitably catches the pompey guy where it hurts most and he acts accordingly giving Mr. Wiley not much choice, or an easy way out however you choose to see it. Whichever way, the ref did nothing wrong in awarding a free kick to Pompey.

For the rest of the match he was pretty even handed and performed as well/ badly as any other ref on average.

With the one exception of the Todd incident in stoppage time. When you look at it from behind as the ref did it definitely looks like Todd gets nothing on the ball and trips the man; therefore a penalty and red card for last defender. BUT when you see it from an angle further to the right you can see that Todd gets enough on the ball to send it for a corner and the Pompey player just trips over Todd's outstretched leg.

Wiley has agreed to look at it again and therefore give him credit for that. It should result in the card being rescinded.

Overall not a good day for Rovers, but as many others have said already it happend in similar fashion last year. Nuff said. :tu:

he lead on the ball causing obstruction, we should have had something, and sol campell dived all over roberts...

Todd may not have pace, but he can pass a ball a million times better than either Nelsen or Zurab.

Our best pairing is Nelsen and Todd

A lack of pace doesn't excuse being beaten in the air pathetically for their second goal. He isn't good enough in the air or against pace and simply cannot be considered first choice if we are to progress, especially with the suspect tempremant he will always have.

If anybody couldn't remember the result from the West Ham game then it will have been burned onto their brain by now - it's mentioned about twenty times! :D

Mokoena at right back, Neill at centre back, Bentley in central midfield, an unfit Reid on the right wing...if anyone had a bad day at the office yesterday it must have been Hughes! Still, hopefully he will have learnt from this game and against Everton on Wednesday we will see a very different side, both in lineup and in determination. It sounds like Todd's red card will probably be rescinded and that is important as, like Jan, I do think that he is still our most reliable pairing with Nelsen in the centre. That said, the Ooijer signing could change all that.

This shows how disciplinary problems can come back to bite us on the bum. Already short on numbers on the back we will miss Neill for a match and possibly Todd will be suspended as well. Not only that but Tugay may have been a good option today which would have allowed Reid to be used only as sub if need be. That said, it seems like Portsmouth would have given him no time to work his magic but his suspension meant we didn't have that option.

We can mention various incidents in which we can feel hard done by but the fact remains that we have finished bottom of the Fair Play League for the previous two seasons and have hit the ground running in our quest for a hat trick. We need aggression in our game but need to keep control. Silly sending offs like Neill's sounds to be (I haven't seen any of the game) need to cut out of our game.

A question for those at the game...did Lucas really seem disinterested like some have suggested?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.