BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth 3 Blackburn Rovers 0

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our ill discipline is a disgrace! Thee is no need for a team on the opening day of the season to have two, yes two centre halves sent off. The back four is going to have to contain some of the the reserves for Wednesday if Nelsen doesn't make it. Anyone fancy going down Brockhall tommorrow with their Shinnys and boots, we might just get a game. :(

Our ill discipline is a disgrace! Thee is no need for a team on the opening day of the season to have two, yes two centre halves sent off.

Now thats not fair if Todd's was a legal challenge. There is a suggestion that he won the ball so I shall reserve judgement until I see the incident and I suggest you do likewise ihd. Or are you interested in auditioning for the positioon of a Talksport commentator?

I saw the damm thing on the internet and from what i've seen he may have got a touch on the ball but the fact remains thenodrog we were down to 9 men and until the referee says he were wrong, read it in the newspapers, it will still say red card. So before you go slinging insults around like even associating me with a Talksport presenter, think first! Please.

As for Wednesday night, if we line up with Mokoena-Matteo-Jay-Gray we are going to get hammered.

Edited by ihatethedingles

Are the suspensions effective straight away or is there still a week between them coming in?

I assume we will appeal todd's

Pretty sure reds at least mean that the player gets banned straight away. It may be different for Lucas but after his performance it may be best for him to have a game off-but is there anyone to come in?

Utter rubbish. Hadnt seen such an inept performance for a long time. Actually last season at Fratton Park we were outplayed and dominated probably more than today but we had a fella who was a bit inspired that day.

Anyways, onto the main observations:

Lucas Neill in the first half was shocking. He was totally dominated by Benjani and the way he played, you would think he was trying to engineer a move out of the club this way. His body language wasnt good at all.

Bentley takes way too much time on the ball, and was muscled out of the ball way too many times for a central midfielder.

Reid is a very good central midfielder but just an Ok right winger. Doesnt have the technique to take people on and create things on the wing.

Gray was pretty good the whole game.

The amount of times that Mokoena let the ball bounce instead of clearing it early was unbearable.

Overall, we just lacked that spark. You couldnt see where we would create any chances other than set pieces.

And, the less said about Emertons woeful attempt of a shot off Benni's pass only 8 yards out, the better.

I personally wont blame the ref for much. Neill had it coming but the red on Todd was a tad harsh.

Gotta spend in my opinion and one center back wont suffice, as we need to strengthen in midfield too for sure.

Edited by Bobby G

All the fuss about how well Neill did at centre half in the world cup bemuses me. The truth is Australia had nobody else to play in that position (Popovic doesn't count he's useless) after Vidmar had to withdraw...

Neil was always first choice centre-back along with Moore. Vidmar would have been the third centre back.

I saw the damm thing on the internet and from what i've seen he may have got a touch on the ball but the fact remains thenodrog we were down to 9 men

You have the advantage over me cos I've not seen it but from what you are saying the ref made a mistake not Todd. So why are you so quick to blame Todd? I dont care whether the ref rescinds the card or not if as you imply Todd has made a clean tackle to prevent a certain goal then I will not join a lynching party. What exactly would you have him do?

The referee doesnt have to overturn the decision, Rovers can appeal.

Neill's suspension doesnt kick in for a week as it was for cumulative yellows, but it cannot be appealed. Todd's kicks in straight away, but can be appealed under the fast track system.

Now thats not fair if Todd's was a legal challenge. There is a suggestion that he won the ball so I shall reserve judgement until I see the incident and I suggest you do likewise ihd. Or are you interested in auditioning for the positioon of a Talksport commentator?

Todd's challenge was perfectly timed. He put the ball out for a corner.

Neill's was probably fair at two yellows, although the second one was a push, on the half way line, out on the touchline.

Pompey were committing fouls all afternoon on Roberts and Benni, with little punishment. Johnson was guilty of a terrible two footed foul on Pedersen. Ref gave no foul, hence no booking.

Having said that, the difference between the two sides, was that Pompey defended far better than rovers.

well hopefully we will have a couple new faces in soon we need it we were dreadfull typical rovers all the hype, we have changed, we are now better and more skillful then get beat 4-0 n get 2 players sent of bring back dunn and sign huth.

The one thing you can say in our defence today is that Todd's challenge was actually an extremely good one from an impossible position - slow mo replays showed he got the faintest of touches on the ball and it should have been a corner. Can't really blame the ref though, it looked like a clear penalty and first glance initially.

Hope we appeal that red card immediately.

Other than that it was a shambles. Portsmouth looked fitter/sharper/faster/more determined/first to the ball - take your pick. We didn't create one worthwhile chance.

We can maybe carry one passenger who does nothing over the 90 minutes (Pedersen) we certainly can't afford two (Bentley) and certainly not in the middle of the park.

The defence had a collective nightmare. Gray spent the whole game too far forward and the ball kept getting played in behind him, as with the second goal. A shocking piece of defending from Neill for the opening goal and no complaints from him for two completely silly and needless yellows. Terrible defending from Mokoena for the fourth.

Who's going to play in the middle on Wednesday?

Reid must be moved into central midfield in place of Bentley asap. MGP can't be allowed to put in any more non appearances like that.

We need to improve all round and fast.

**** BIG GULP ****

Remember to cross yourselves before you enter the ground come Wednesday.

What a terrible day.

Do the suspensions start for Wednesday? I seem to remember last season they were activated after 6/7 days. Has the rule changed this season? If Todd got the ball that can be overturned pretty quickly I would imagine. Although the FA will find some reason to justify his suspension.

Back to today.

Firstly, Neill has absolutely infuriated me today - I am livid with him. I haven't seen the game (watched Soccer Saturday) but by all accounts Neill was way off the pace today. I'm not saying he was trying to get him sent off but Charlie Nicholas didn't give the impression he was being careful after receiving a yellow. I am not happy with him at all. I look forward to seeing his contribution on Football First this evening.

Secondly, Mokoena is not a right back. Granted we had injuries, but it doesn't take a genius to work out when Mokoena plays there we look defensively vunerable.

It's only the first game and there are plenty of points left to be won (and lost) - but we have started in just about the worst possible way.

The only glimmer of happiness I have within me is that Hughes and his team pay great attention to detail and we couldn't be in better hands.

When someone gets in from the game please tell me - how bad was it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.