Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Return Of Henchoz

The Fly

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Anybody think he deserves a year long extention to his current contract?

I think he's done better than Todd this season...

What does everyone think? :brfc:

1) No

2) Arguably, but Todd has had a long period of enforced inactivity and is probably just reaching peak match fitness

3) I think he's done better than Ooijer when he's been on the pitch.

4) Can Billy Sharp play centre back? :rover:

Edited by RevidgeBlue

the problem with henchoz these days is that he is so slow, i mean my nan would fancy her chances in a sprint race.

great experience, solid defender and a decent back up.

can he take the club forward? imo no, when nelsen returns there will be to many ahead of him in the pecking order and he will be surplus to requirements.

I suppose the question id like to ask is. Henchoz or Todd?

Todd has had a long period of enforced inactivity and is probably just reaching peak match fitness

True, but in my eyes Henchoz has had less training since he left Wigan and has done an ok job for us to make up the numbers.

Im looking forward to Zurab coming back personally because i think he kicks Henchoz and Todd into touch!

Only my opinion of course but given a fully fit squad the pair of them would be watching the match from the bench.

And have Nelsen with who? Hope you're not suggesting Nelsen and Zurab to be our No. 1 pairing. Zurab was the weak link in the defence for months. For me Ooijer and Nelsen would be a pretty good partnership - albeit lacking a bit of pace. We have Emerton providing pace down the right side so I suppose the question is therefore who will provide it down the left? Over to Mr. Hughes...

I suppose the question id like to ask is. Henchoz or Todd?

True, but in my eyes Henchoz has had less training since he left Wigan and has done an ok job for us to make up the numbers.

Im looking forward to Zurab coming back personally because i think he kicks Henchoz and Todd into touch!

I think you are right on both counts there WSR. Personally I would rate Henchoz as about on a par with Todd but both of them behind the Admiral, Ooijer, and Zurab (in that order) and with Matteo bringing up the rear (assuming Neil goes).

P.S. Aren't we well-off for CB's!

Edited by Fife Rover

I think Henchoz was a decent signing. With the injuries that we have had at centre back it looks like a wise move to have bought him in. Yes he is slow, but he has experience at this level and provides important cover. Once Nelsen and Zurab gets fit, Henchoz won't be anywhere near the first team set up.

• 4 weeks later...

In light of the Ooijer injury I just want to add a bit of praise for Henchoz. When we signed him I thought it was not a good move. He's probably played more this season than Sparky would have wanted. However he has been suprisingly good in camparison to what I thought he would be.

Yes he's slow but he still shows with his reading of the game that he's a quality defender who has a habit of getting blocks in when needed. I wouldnt want him to have a long spell in the side as he does get found out at this level with pace now but, credit where credit is due, he's proved to be a valuable squad player.

Fair play to Stephane and Sparky.

Edited by Hasta

In light of the Ooijer injury I just want to add a bit of praise for Henchoz. When we signed him I thought it was not a good move. He's probably played more this season than Sparky would have wanted. However he has been suprisingly good in camparison to what I thought he would be.

Yes he's slow but he still shows with his reading of the game that he's a quality defender who has a habit of getting blocks in when needed. I wouldnt want him to have a long spell in the side as he does get found out at this level with pace now but, credit where credit is due, he's proved to be a valuable squad player.

Fair play to Stephane and Sparky.

i'd agree with that post just to add for a free transfer he proved to be a great signing.

his pace leaves him vulnerable at the back occasionally as we have all seen but his displays on average have been excellent and to be fair with the injuries and messing about with our back for this season, we could be in a spot of trouble without him.

Got to say, he's proved me completely wrong, I was dead against his signing but his general play has been excellent.

The only problem is, his lack of pace is going to put him in a goal conceding/sending off situation occasionally.

That happens, pace or not Rev.

He was nothing short of superb today against Man City.

After five minutes play he looks like he's about to have a heart attack. He's getting exhausted too quickly, which has led to some rash challenges and one too many cards for my liking. Apart from that he's not done too bad. Shame Liverpool saw the best of him and not us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.