[Archived] Rovers 2-1 Wigan

den

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going for a Rovers win :brfc:

Rovers 2 - 1 Wigan

Can probably guarantee that if heskey plays against us today that he will score :(

Hope that we can get some of the atmosphere from thursday night going early today and coupled with an early goal and we will be in business.

I am starting to get worried now as I have noticed that whenever a majority of posters on here predict a Rovers win that is when they lose. So although I don't actually believe my own prediction and in an attempt to avoid disaster: Rovers 1 - 2 Wigan

..............McCarthy.......Heskey (2)

C'mon you predictors of doom where are you? Let's have a bit of support!!

Edited by Fife Rover

Lads,

I'm a disgrace. I was meant to do the preview for this game and foolish volunteered myself for it despite being in Germany since Wednesday with work. i missed my Saturday morning flight due to a slightly drunken state from teh night before and had to travel 200km and get a flight from Frankfurt last night.

Only for this I would have had the preview submitted on Saturday (yesterday) lunchtime. I also tried to do Harry Redknapp stunt, but unfortunately big coup never pulled off, so you have to make do with a crappy preview from myself.

If I'm to be punished, ie banned from the board for a week, then so be it. Once again I apologise for this.

Following our first win in Europe, the team don’t have to travel as we have a tough fixture at Ewood against Dave Whelan’s Wigan Athletic. They surprised a lot of people in last seasons campaign when they reached the final of the Carling Cup and finished a well respected 10th in the Premiership, when many doubters had them to be relegated. Wigan will be looking to regain their form they held last season and are looking to ensure Dave Whelan achieve’s one of his ambitions, by defeating his old club Blackburn Rovers.

- - - - - WHEN & WHERE - - - - -

Date: Sunday 1st October

Time: A traditional 3:00pm kick-off

Place: Ewood Park, Blackburn (Home to the best team in Lancashire

- - - - - WIGAN HONOURS - - - - -

One of the least successful clubs in the Premiership, but after only turning professional 28 years ago, what do you expect??

Division 2 Winners: 2003

Division 3 Winners: 1997

Auto-Windscreen Winners: 1999

Freight Rover Trophy Winners: 1985

League Cup: 2006 (runners-up)

- - - - - CORRESPONDING FIXTURE (2005/06) - - - - -

A drab enough 1-1 draw in last season’s corresponding fixture at Ewood Park. Both teams were lacklustre and failed to deliver the goods. Wigan opened the scoring through current Rover Jason Roberts in the 53rd minute, but Rovers equalised through ‘Shefi the Farmer’ in the 84th minute.

- - - - - PAST RESULTS - - - - -

Ewood Park, 03/04/06

Premiership

Blackburn Rovers 1: Kuqi (84)

Wigan Athletic 1: Roberts (53)

JJB Stadium, 31/12/05

Premiership

Wigan Athletic 0:

Blackburn Rovers 3: Pedersen (15), Reid (53), Bellamy (85)

Ewood Park, 03/01/98

FA Cup

Blackburn Rovers 4: McGibbon (20og), Gallagher, (37) & (60), Sherwood (48)

Wigan Athletic 2: Lee (62), Lowe (68)

- - - - - CURRENT FORM - - - - -

Wigan have endured a poor start to the season, picking up their only win at home to Reading at the end of August. It was obvious that they would struggle this season us they sold five key players this season. Last season’sgoal-scorer Jason Roberts secured a £3 million deal during the summer and paved the way for the Lactics to make their most expensive signing in the form of ‘Emile Heskey’. Yet to hit form, I feel that some side will get a thumping from the HAC (Heskey & Camara).

(A) Newcastle 2-1 L

(H) Reading 1-0 W

(A) Portsmouth 1-0 L

(A) Everton 2-2 D

(A) Crewe 2-0 L

(H) Watford 1-1 D

- - - - - TREATMENT TABLE - - - - -Rovers go into this game with slightly more worry over their treatment table listing, but have only two major concerns as quite a few of the players have made their comeback.

ROVERS (out):

Peter Enckelman (ankle)

Ryan Nelsen (hmstring)

Steven Reid (back)

ROVERS (doubtful):

Francis Jeffers (ill)

Jason Roberts (groin)

Andy Todd (leg)

Robbie Savage (hamstring)

WIGAN (out):

Ryan Taylor (broken leg)

WIGAN (doubtful)

Lee McCullough (thigh)

- - - - - PLAYER EXCHANGE - - - - -

With ex-rover Dave Whelan running the latics, it won’t be surprising to realise that there is fairly strong links between the two clubs. Over the past five seasons there has been no fewer than five players who have represented both clubs, with one of them making a double switch. Henchoz has moved to Ewood Park for the second time and could be on the bench for todays game.

Wigan’s top scorer from last season, Jason Roberts could also play some part in the game as he prepares to play against the Latics for the first time. He has missed the last month due to a groin injury, but returned to training this week.

ROVERS – WIGAN

John Filan (Goalkeeper)

Alan Mahon (Midfielder)

Stephane Henchoz (Defender) –via Liverpool

David Thompson (Midfielder)

WIGAN – ROVERS

Jason Roberts (Striker)

Stephane Henchoz (Defender)

- - - - - KEY PLAYERS - - - - -

ROVERS: (Savage) With Robbie Savage in the best form of his career, he will be the one to watch out for today, controlling the midfield. The controversial midfielder should also lift his game a bit further, especially as Paul Jewell showed significant interest in him during the transfer window.

WIGAN: (Camara) Henri Camara has only managed the one goal his season and that came last weekend against Watford. The Senegalese International can finish well and with his pace, he could cause Ooijer a few problems at the back.

- - - - - PREDICTION - - - - -

Physical game with Rovers edging out a 2-1 victory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.