BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2-1 Wigan

den

The football we saw, in particular during the second half was as good as anything at Ewood for a long time. However reading the qualities today you wouldn't know that. We are still being completely ignored by the press and tv medias. i think we could win the Uefa Cup and they'd still be blathering about bloody Tevez or Harry or some other bugger.

One other thing, I remember some pundit commenting that you can measure the quality of a team by its full backs. Well the two Aussies are as good as anything this season, and who could have predicted that?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we did a man city in the first half and played fooking awful

but wigan didnt take advantage, we scored our goal at the best time possible it gave us a lift at half time

sparky seems to have had a rage again, and the man city game comes back were we come out and play very well

we could have had 3 or 4 and it would have still been a fair score

i thought roberts was quite poor and lazy when he came on

Neill didn't make any major errors as I could spot today.

IMO Neill was one of those at fault for Wigan's goal....both he and Gamst were beaten too easily, as was Ooijer, when Heskey beat him to the ball.....still, if Peter Jackson wants to give Lucas another watch then who am I to argue....but I thought Emerton, Benni and Brown were all in with a shout

What we need is more Benni interviews!

Saw his after match interviews on Football first and MOTD. What a great character, what a great sense of humour.

'If you stick some candy in my mouth, I'm gonna take a bite' - on his lucky winner. Priceless :lol:

Funny that when the second half display is much better than the first, the feel good factor is up. If the halves had been reversed and the second half was awful, we'd all be down.

You describe just short of 18000 keen supporters as pathetic? You obviously wern't there so whats your adjective for the ones including yourself who didn't go then?

btw if you need any help I've a few in mind.

come on fella - best way is just to ignore - you know he only says it so that someone will bite!

On an unrelated note - when does the rovers site update it's video match highlights?

come on fella - best way is just to ignore - you know he only says it so that someone will bite!

On an unrelated note - when does the rovers site update it's video match highlights?

Normally on a monday, not sure for a sunday game tho

Taken from the official site: "Rovers World subscribers can get all the post match reaction from today's game on Monday's edition, with highlights from 10pm."

Edited by cn174

The football we saw, in particular during the second half was as good as anything at Ewood for a long time. However reading the qualities today you wouldn't know that. We are still being completely ignored by the press and tv medias. i think we could win the Uefa Cup and they'd still be blathering about bloody Tevez or Harry or some other bugger.

One other thing, I remember some pundit commenting that you can measure the quality of a team by its full backs. Well the two Aussies are as good as anything this season, and who could have predicted that?

WE are the ONLY team (well.. and Wigan)not to be shown on premiership highlights on danish television. The only. And its two weeks in a row now I think.

Even the dodgy tv strams dont have rovers. Not league not UEFA cup. Grrrrrr!

Hopefully they wil come round again as the season progresses and we Rovers continue to show the quality like last year. Towards the end quite a few had to give, although reluctantly, and admit Rovers are a foorce. Not only physical but playing wise as well.

*eck all them pundits and GO Rovers

Edited by brfcjon

With useless Jeffers starting we can't hope for many goals thats for sure.

Rovers 1

Wigan 1

Why is Jeffers playing? He's useless, give Galley a run, at least he's scored this season. We shouldn't be losing to Wigan!

Sounds like you two have made your minds up without ever seeing him play for BRFC. Part of the give a dog a bad name brigade are you? <_< imo he was third choice for MoM behind McCarthy and Bentley. The entire team played somewhat flat footed in the first half (as I warned that would earlier in this thread) after the European game.

I will go as far as saying that our 4 current strikers are the best and most talented group of strikers that I have seen since the days of the SAS, Newell and Gallagher.

1. McCarthy was NOT in offside when Roberts got the ball passed Kirkland, but he was offside in the build up when Neill played the ball behind their defence.

I've been thinking about that "offside" goal. McCarthy was definately onside when he recieved the pass from Roberts - so the claims were that he was offside when the initial ball was played through. Well, last season the flag should have gone up when Benni turned and chased. The linesmen are interpretting the rules differently this season. They have been told to keep the flag down until the player in an offside position touches the ball. We saw that on a number of occassions yesterday.

So in this case, the linesman was correct in not raising his flag initially, because Benni didn't touch the ball first. Then, when Roberts played the ball sideways and Benni scored he was onside. So the decision was correct? I think it was.

The old rules were better for all concerned linesmen, refs supporters and players. Decisions were black and white and thats that. Benni would have been given offside when the ball was played to Roberts. He'd have had a rollicking from his team mates and the the play would have been stopped. Nowadays linesmen are on a hiding to nothing.

Gutted I missed the last ten minutes, but I knew we would win as soon as I left...

Looks like the future's bright the futures brown, anyway - good debut.

I felt Franny tried his best and would have scored except for some good saves by Kirkland, who other than gifting us a dubious goal played very well.

At least I got to work on time and had bragging rights.

Then the inevitable happened, Oijer got caught one on one with Heskey and was left trying to play catch up, foolishly he tried to tackle Heskey from behind

The operative word being 'foolishly'. The two pens that he has given away are indefensible and imo a player as obviously thick as he is a liability to the team and I will take alot of convincing otherwise. Heskey had a lot still to do to score and John Terry was not even near the play ffs! :angry:

I guess too much water has gone under the bridge between him and the manager but all I can say is 'get well soon Andy Todd'.

Personally I think Rovers were well worth the win and deserved the 3 points.

It is very clear that supporters have differing views about how Rovers are progressing, I think that most would have accepted our current position, points total and still being in 3 cup competitions !

So how or where do Rovers progress from here ?

We are now resigned to Sunday football for at least 5 weeks and that is not too bad a thing although it may affect the crowd attendance. Surely Rovers can pull another rabbit from the hat to ensure the games are a little better attended with a school kid initiative.

We need Tugay to go away for a 5 day break to recharge his batteries.

Savage and Bentley need a break as above.

Roberts and Jeffers should get plenty of time to work together because both looked a nuisance yesterday, and we could well have a serious problem up front if Benni and DR Congo continue to impress as they have.

I have taken a look at the up coming games and we really have a chance to get some points on the board pre Christmas with only liverpool, manure and arsenal to be concerend about. All the other games are winnable or at least are games we can take something from.

I saw an article about Rovers finances recently and I think in January we might just see a bloody good Tugayesque midfielder coming into the club !

Happy Monday :brfc:

what a game!

for me, apart from their early goal and for 5 mins after the pen, wigan were never in the game.

i disagree with people who are saying we started badly. we created 3 or 4 great openings in the 1st half and battered them into submission in the 2nd.

i cant understand people critics jeffers. they obviously weren't at the game. his awareness and movement are superb and hopefully yesterday's display will give his confidence a boost.

the same goes for ooijer's critics. yes, he got done for pace and his challenge was rash (heskey still had a lot to do), but the game should've been stopped for a foul on bentley.

the offside goal is open to interpretation. i feel we're owed that one, after the pen decision and the linesman was flag- happy to say the least. i dont think he'll run the riverside on his next visit.

McCarthy is certainly on a hot-streak at ewood, 4 goals in 5 games. if he can keep that form going and bag a few away goals, we'll even surpass last seasons achievements.

i'm delighted with our current form. 6 unbeaten in all competitions and 4 straight wins and playing some superb inventive and attacking football.

if this form doesn't encourage stay-aways to return, nothing will.

their loss. it's an absolute privilege to watch rovers.

For an experienced European international player, Ooijer makes an awfully lot of misjudgments. What was the point of that late challenge on Heskey who rarely scores, let alone with his left foot from the left side of the area! :)

Overall a good performance and I thought we were worth the win especially with our second half performance. Roberts' pace is a great asset and Benni looks to be on fire. His movement, touch and shooting is top drawer as well.

the offside goal is open to interpretation.

It not really. If the linesmen are told to keep their flag down until the player touches the ball, then Benni was onside.

Report by Wigan fan.

" Despite a good start at Ewood Park, Latics once again failed to capitalise from being in a position of strength and in the end were lucky not to have conceded at least four more goals than the two Blackburn did manage to put away."

To be fair to Heskey, asfar as can I work out he's not had a bad run against us -

Leicester 7 games 2 goals

Liverpool 7 games 4 goals

Birmingham 3 games 1 goal

Wigan 1 game 1 goal

18 goals and 8 goals

To be honest I don't rate Heskey either.

He gets felled far to easily and thought he would be better off as a bouncer due to his size and strength, but again they have to be fit to stand their ground. I agree with someone saying our defence made him look good and Ooijer needs to work on picking up a yard of pace. In the Premiership he's going to be up against top class strikers, (Shefki excluded and also because he's in the Championship) :lol: but he seems to be constantly a yard behind the opponent. Either this or indeed it's to concentrate on reading the game quicker to make up for the 1st initial yard.

Anyhow, great result yesterday with quite a few positives. Very impressed with the way in which Jeffers linked up with Bentley for his goal. A run of four straight wins is fantastic and now we mustn't get complacent. Well done Hughesy and the lads.

:rover::rover:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.