SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If You Could Change One Result In Rovers History

Ricky

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised the home defeat by Coventry in 1967 with the Ferguson sending off hasn't featured although no way would our return to the top flight have been a long one.

The most intriguing one to have reversed would be the 2-0 defeat to Swansea at the Vetch in 1981. Quite apart from taking the swagger out of Leighton James, I just wonder if we'd taken the second promotion on the trot if we might have manged to stay there. Certainly Kendall would have left for Everton regardless but I guess we would have kept Jim Arnold and found a strike partner for Garner who was better than Viv Busby.

And Swansea remember spent most of the 81/2 season in top or second places in the old First Division finishing a very creditable 4th. Although we were still in the era of English club domination of Europe, I rather think we would have held our own in the top division had we gone up then but wouldn't have done had we won at Palace in '89.

The 3-0 defeat at Palace in the Play Offs. Hell on earth.

Yep definitely that one, never experienced a feeling like after a football match.

After that, similar to Philip, it would probably be nicking a goal in one of the three consecutive 0-0 draws we had at the end of the season in 1981 when under Howard Kendall we failed to get a second successive promotion to the top flight on goal difference.

Good thread ..... 1960 Cup Final is the obvious one but I'd like to nominate a pivotal game in Rovers' history :

Blackburn Rovers 1 Coventry City 2

Crunch game towards end of 1966-67 season, Rovers pressing for promotion straight back to the old first division after relegation the previous season but beaten by Jimmy Hill's up and coming Coventry team.

Coventry, confident and buoyed by the burgeoning motor industry, promoted and stayed in top flight for more than 30 years; Rovers, seemingly in decline like the town's textile industry, slowly sunk down the divisions and did not return to the top flight until the Walker era 25 years later.

All of the above plus Eastville 1981.

Any of the early live tv games. The cameras often came to Ewood when we played top flight opposition (FA Cup on a Friday evening v Southampton?) and we hardly ever won.

Any of the numerous play-off games we lost.

Nearly all the European results.

There are more but too many to mention here.

:brfc:B)

Edited by MCMC1875

My signature says it all.....3 - 0 at Palarse!!!!

But also a new one..

Villa 1 - 0 Rovers 1979/80

FA Cup 5th round replay

We were in the old 3rd division, villa soon to be European Champions, 1 to 1 at home on the Saturday the old riverside stand shaking with noise and then despite 5,000 away fans getting beat at villa listening to the game aged 9 on a portable radio with the great commentator Jones on the old Radio 2

Guttted!!!!!!!!

A bit of a strange one for me, I'd go for the Liverpool away game, May 1995.

It would have stopped all those "Utd lost the title, you didn't win it" comments.

2nd would be the Palace game, oh what a long drive home.

Palace every time - never forget that sick feeling when the third went in

Palace away, or maybe Trelleborgs, or 0-0 v Man U when we were relegated in the 1990's

Now as for England results, the list is too long to mention!

Edited by steven

Its Rovers related but not a game we took part in.

In 1995 as the title run in came to a head Man.U were away to Coventry. A very poor Kevin Richardson header back to his own keeper resulted in Man.U scoring. If not for that, United would have been denied points and we would have had the chance to win the title at home against Newcastle on VE day.

I`ve never forgiven Richardson for that.

Same for me (1960 Cup Final). Broke my heart that day. I still hate that man Deeley, not to mention Derek Doogan who claimed to be fit and patently was not. The barsteward also posted his transfer request before the match.

That's the one for me too Al. That was disaster day for Rovers in many different ways all at once.

First, and for me foremost, was the disasterous way in which the Final tickets were distributed. That alone cost Rovers the loss of several thousand regular fans who have never forgiven the club and never been inside Ewood Park since.

Then there was the Dougan episode you have referred to above.

Next was the loss of Dave Whelan with a broken leg that ended his career and ultimately cost Rovers the game through having to play for most of the match with only ten men.

All in all not a day that Rovers fans want to remember, but at the same time one they can never forget. :ph34r: :ph34r:

P.S. And just to make matters worse the ****ing Dingles won the 1st Div championship that year as well :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

For me I think it would be the Palace result.

Close second though was the FA Cup game at Ewood against Liverpool (when they were good) leading One-Nil deep into injury time and then Mark Atkins scores the own goal. Was at school at the time and it was full of glory-hunting Liverpool fans, who now all seem to support Man U or Chelsea due to some long forgotten family link.

I'd just like to take a different slant on this:

I wish we had scored three more goals in any of these matches

7-1 Norwich 4-10-1992

7-0 v Forest 18-11-1995

7-2 v Wednesday 25-8-1997

Then we would have top bragging rights over scoring more goals in a prem match than anyone else.

As it is....some blooming Scum team.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.