BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If You Could Change One Result In Rovers History

Ricky

This came up on the Englandfans website and I thought it was quite interesting.

If you could change one result in Rovers History what would it be. It could be one game that you feel started a bad run or just one game purely on result alone. Legia Warsaw, where we were a matter of minutes away from the last 16 of the champions league, arsenal in the FA Cup semi.... the list goes on.

For me I guess it is the Southampton game at Ewood in the 1998 - 1999 season. We went down to a poor 2-0 defeat, if we'd won that game we would not have been relegated that season and would not thave had two seasons in the First Division.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This came up on the Englandfans website and I thought it was quite interesting.

If you could change one result in Rovers History what would it be. It could be one game that you feel started a bad run or just one game purely on result alone. Legia Warsaw, where we were a matter of minutes away from the last 16 of the champions league, arsenal in the FA Cup semi.... the list goes on.

For me I guess it is the Southampton game at Ewood in the 1998 - 1999 season. We went down to a poor 2-0 defeat, if we'd won that game we would not have been relegated that season and would not thave had two seasons in the First Division.

The game at the Dell in Southampton when Tim Sherwood got sent off for spitting at Francis Benali?? I went to that game!!!

Cracking thread.

There's quite a few, Rovers 2 United 4 hurt in more ways that one, got run over and ended up spending 9 weeks in hospital with 5 broken vertebrae directly afterwards. Twas a United fan that did it, from Barnsley no less.

The Man United semi last year denied us a tilt at possible silverware so that's up there as is the semi defeat by Arsenal.

The defeat by Celtic left me speechless for about 24 hours as I couldn't believe we'd got beat but the main one for me was the quarter final FA Cup defeat on penalties to Sheffield United in 1993. It was a game we dominated from start to finish and still ended up on the wrong end of the result. To make it worse we had to walk through a load of their lot celebrating and taking the p***. A bloody long journey home that was.

From a completely selfish point of view I'd change the Feyenoord result.

Because a) I would have loved to have seen 2,500 of us go mental and B) because when the steward took the ball off me I managed to recover which had been kicked into the crowd I could have said, 'your going out and we beat you 1-0 so AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!' as it was I said, 'please can I keep the ball' :(

Edited by Martin

Same for me (1960 Cup Final). Broke my heart that day. I still hate that man Deeley, not to mention Derek Doogan who claimed to be fit and patently was not. The barsteward also posted his transfer request before the match.

Last season at Old Trafford in the Carling Cup. A win would have left us with Wigan in the final and a fantastic chance of another trophy.

This would be mine as well. Followed the entire cup run travelling from London and as a relatively young fan, would have loved the chance to win some silverware.

I think the 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in 2004/2005 has to rate up there with one of the results that I would change. It's one of two matches that season (including the Arsenal semi-final) that saw us dragged through the mud for being a dirty team.

I just wonder whether things wouldn't be so bad with the media and the football world in general if we had won that day. The focus would probably have been more on how Chelsea and Mourinho were sore losers and perhaps things wouldn't be going so bad with the referees today, who are no doubt a bit more willing to not give us the benefit of the doubt.

It also would have put a huge dent in the Chelsea psyche as well and it would have had possibly huge ramifications on Chelsea's future successes. Mourinho saw the victory as passing some sort of special Premiership fitness test.

Now that I've written that, I'm starting to think that those who name the Arsenal match would be hitting it right on the money. The FA Cup final is one of the most famous and well-known football events in the world and, apart from the Champions League final, no other cup competition is telecast live in Australia. It is certainly given a lot of hype and analysis on the broadcast too.

The instant worldwide recognition that the club would receive just by participating in the FA Cup final would be hugely beneficial to its reputation and worldwide supporter base and beneficial to the bottom line these days: in terms of finance.

But I have to pick one, so it would be the Chelsea result I would change. We weren't ready for an FA Cup final that season, really, and would probably only be making up the numbers. We might not be swimming in goals at the moment, but not so long ago we looked almost completely toothless up front and very rarely looked like scoring anything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.