BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Isnt That Nice Of Him?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, sounds like he is keeping his options open to me. THe way he phrased it is essentially saying that he will stay at Blackburn because he doesn't think he can break into the top four or five sides. So if suddenly they do become interested (oh, what price Liverpool?) he will be able to go citing the fact hedid not anticapte it.

All fair enough I supose but i wouldn't all get wrapped up in his commitment to the club.

"I don't know if I have a get-out clause here"

Surely he should know!

Indeed.

Very odd article indeed and very Bellamyish. Same time of year as well.

If he is happy here and has no intention of moving, why say anything at all?

Perhaps it is a genuine attempt to reassure the fans he won't "do a Bellamy" but it backfires completely with him saying that and also putting in the caveat about the club selling him over his head.

I take great pleasure from this. What it means is Benni has done well enough to raise the interest of the anti Rovers, the press. This happens every bloody time we have someone doing well the media comes out with reports of the "big four" and their interest. All gets a bit old if you ask me.

As for the statements, very pc, whatever one wants to perceive one can. So have fun with it.

I'd find it refreshing if players just came out and said "if any of the big four Premiership clubs came in for me, I would want to go."

I don't blame McCarthy if he did want to leave for any of these clubs. They are massive clubs and has every right to want to play for them. I think we are seriously deluded if we think ANY player would want to play for us more than Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

That's just the way it is though. Just like the fact that if any player had the choice of any of the clubs in the English game, we would probably get the nod ahead of about 80 other teams. What goes around comes around I'm afraid.

Yes of course there is! Lucas Neill.

....But he gets slaughtered for his honesty.

Come on Gordon, "honest?" at what point has he said:

"I appreciate there's a very generous contract offer on the table from the club and I know the fans are entitled to a reasonable expectation that I demonstrate the same sort of loyalty to the club that we've seen from far better players than me such as Nelsen, Tugay and Friedel by signing that new contract so that if I do leave at least the club will be handsomely compensated. Sorry though, I can't give any thought to anything like that, I'm only interested in maximising my own pay day when I leave."

Instead we get guff about him "keeping his options open"

He's perfectly entitled to do that and I suppose in cold hard financial terms I don't blame him but let's not make him into some sort of latter day saint who's loyally seen his contract out, when in reality he's simply running it down for his own benefit.

I'd find it refreshing if players just came out and said "if any of the big four Premiership clubs came in for me, I would want to go."

I don't blame McCarthy if he did want to leave for any of these clubs. They are massive clubs and has every right to want to play for them. I think we are seriously deluded if we think ANY player would want to play for us more than Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

That's just the way it is though. Just like the fact that if any player had the choice of any of the clubs in the English game, we would probably get the nod ahead of about 80 other teams. What goes around comes around I'm afraid.

Very good post indeed.

Rovers fans just love to scandalise even an innocent comment. We must be either looking for excuses or incredibly insecure (or both).

Whenever I see comments like this and the same old reactions from posters, I look back at that wonderful thread in (I think) 2001/2002 when Tugay said he admired Newcastle as a team, after Sir Bobby had said something nice about him.

He "must never wear the shirt again" and was a typical example of an ungrateful player who thought he was too good for Rovers.

Too true, he's been terribly disloyal to the club and been an utter disgrace in the 5 years since.

Come on Gordon, "honest?" at what point has he said:

"I appreciate there's a very generous contract offer on the table from the club and I know the fans are entitled to a reasonable expectation that I demonstrate the same sort of loyalty to the club that we've seen from far better players than me such as Nelsen, Tugay and Friedel by signing that new contract so that if I do leave at least the club will be handsomely compensated. Sorry though, I can't give any thought to anything like that, I'm only interested in maximising my own pay day when I leave."

Instead we get guff about him "keeping his options open"

He's perfectly entitled to do that and I suppose in cold hard financial terms I don't blame him but let's not make him into some sort of latter day saint who's loyally seen his contract out, when in reality he's simply running it down for his own benefit.

Jeez Rev...he only said Lucas had been "honest". ;) Not worth getting all hett up about.

To the people who are wondering why our gates are down, you need look no further than this sort of comment, he's been here a dog watch and he's flying the kite that says come and get me. Liverpool'll be in shortly trying to swap him for a no mark striker ( Robbie Fowler anybody ) just like the Lucas Neill /Warnock saga.

Archived