BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gallagher

trs

Interesting comments made by Richard Dinnis on radio lancs yesterday.

Dinnis recently spoke to the rovers coaching staff on the subject of offering gally a new contract and was told that they see a big future for the lad.

The interesting bit was they see him becoming a much better player when he reaches 25 and beyond.

They say he has a fantastic football brain and see his future position as just behind the front man/men and likened him to Teddy Sheringham (their words not mine).

IMO the lad has excellent passing ability and more importantly sees it early so I can see where they are coming from on that score.

Next Teddy Sheringham eh?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gallagher would certainly have to improve his heading skills to be classed in the same league as sheringham in that department.

i see what they are saying about he has a football brain and seeing it early, he almost caught howard out yesterday with a shot on the turn from about 30 yards which the toffees keeper done well to turn around the post.

only time will tell really

I don't think anyone outside of East Lancashire would mention Paul Gallagher and Teddy Sheringham in the same breath.

Gally has great vision and the ability to pick an early pass, best (or rather most visibly) illustrated by the killer ball for Stead to score against Man Utd a couple of seasons back.

However his all round game is sadly deficient, and more worryingly, has shown no improvement since he broke into the first team 3 years ago. Lightweight, poor in the air, doesn't score enough goals, lacks pace, lacks positional awareness.

Sheringham has everthing on that list except pace, which he's never needed. It's worrying if the Rovers staff see Gally's future position as "behind the front two" because Rovers as a 4-4-2 team never have the luxury of letting anyone play there. If they did, I'd rather see Dunn or Bentley before Gallagher.

When Gally was in the reserves his scoring record was superb. Somewhere along the road he lost that knack of getting regular goals.

No he didn't. He's simply up against better defenders. :rolleyes:

My gripe with Gallagher is that he doesn't offer enough when the other team are in possession. A good pass here and there is not enough. He does not have enough passion or fire in his belly to succeed at this level. And that is a quality that is well nigh impossible to coach into a player.

Interesting comments made by Richard Dinnis on radio lancs yesterday.

Dinnis recently spoke to the rovers coaching staff on the subject of offering gally a new contract and was told that they see a big future for the lad. The interesting bit was they see him becoming a much better player when he reaches 25 and beyond. They say he has a fantastic football brain and see his future position as just behind the front man/men and likened him to Teddy Sheringham (their words not mine).

Richard Dinnis is puddled.

the mans on drugs

Don't shoot the messenger! It reads like Dinnis was quoting the BRFC coaching staff and not making the comments himself.

The Fans of course know if Gally has got what is takes more then Mark Hughes and his Coaching staff dont they.

You'll get to know fans always know best.

What Gally lacks can be worked on in time and with experience. Rovers are obviously very keen to give him time and let him develop, which doesn't seem to have been the policy in the past. It is true to say that not all players start out top draw, some come good at a later stage. I hope Gally is the latter.

When looking at goals to games i always look at games started to goals ratio as a sub appearance doesn't always give the player a chance to make an impact. This season (inc cups/euro) 5 starts 2 goals. Nonda 20 starts 5 goals.

Maybe not the next Sheringham but he may come good, you never know.

No he didn't. He's simply up against better defenders. :rolleyes:

My gripe with Gallagher is that he doesn't offer enough when the other team are in possession. A good pass here and there is not enough. He does not have enough passion or fire in his belly to succeed at this level. And that is a quality that is well nigh impossible to coach into a player.

Agree with that, Gally is an excelent passer and finisher but every other area of his game is weak. THe only way he could make up for that deficiency is if he offers a huge amount of work rate, and while he has shown improvement in this area recently he's still not any where near where he needs to be to really threaten getting a regular place.

Teddy Sheringham is arguably the most imaginative player England has produced in the last decade and a half. Comparisons to him, while I sort of see the parallells, don't do either Teddy or Gally many favors as he is just in a different league.

I personally feel that Gally can come very good indeed. There were times when he was playing very well and simply got dropped for senior players. The lad has never had the crack of the whip that we've given so many other players before, simply because these players were paid for. And his goals record is fine, given the amount of starts he's had. He scored about twelve from the right wing for Stoke. Not bad at his age. Very pleased we signed him to a new contract. No Teddy Sheringham, but I feel he will turn out to be a very good player, well worth keeping onto.

I personally feel that Gally can come very good indeed.

Well I hope he does it in the reserves rather than weaken our first team. It would help his cause no end if he put himself about like Sav or Reid. I cannot understand why it has not occurred to him. It really does cost nothing and requires no special ability.

I'd say that Gallagher is definately better used up front or behind the front man, as opposed to being played on the wing. He does have a good cross, but does not have the strength, pace, confidence or ability to beat a man.

His good passing and finishing is far better used in the centre.

I'd say that Gallagher is definately better used up front or behind the front man, as opposed to being played on the wing. He does have a good cross, but does not have the strength, pace, confidence or ability to beat a man.

His good passing and finishing is far better used in the centre.

after watching his inept display on Saturday, I'd have to agree (that he's better as a front man/ behind the striker) - his passing and positional play were woeful.

Bentley was started in 'the hole', at Everton, he's never excelled there.

Bentley is a better midfield man, and gally is a better link-man.

gally tends to have a bigger impact games, when he comes off the bench, but he has never had a decent run in the side, I'd give him a couple of starts whilst derbs is out.

I'd rather have him than jeffers. the bloke looked off his face and off the pace on Saturday!

I like Gally, he has something, time will tell exactly how much talent, I think we should hold off judging him for a while yet, it has hardly been easy for him, I'm not blaming Hughes, but he has been in and out of the team, played in several different positions, asked to do some difficult things, when the time is right hopefully he will get a run of games in a settled position then maybe he will come good like Bentley, I, for one, am delighted he has a new contract and remain optimistic

I like Gally, he has something, time will tell exactly how much talent, I think we should hold off judging him for a while yet, it has hardly been easy for him, I'm not blaming Hughes, but he has been in and out of the team, played in several different positions, asked to do some difficult things, when the time is right hopefully he will get a run of games in a settled position then maybe he will come good like Bentley, I, for one, am delighted he has a new contract and remain optimistic

That's the most commas in a single sentence that I've ever seen. Possibly the longest sentence ever too. Good work.

Archived