BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes And Mccarthy Fallen Out?

Guest Kamy100

8 Premiership goals in 23 appearances (many as a sub). He must have a stinkin' attitude eh? What we need is a headless chickien that bags the magic 1 in 3...

Errr............when I was at school, 8 still divided into 24 three times so that latter description would also apply to McCarthy then..................

Except the bit about all the effort and running about..............

Irony eh? You can't beat it.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I read rubbish like this, I sometimes wonder if players (especially strikers) arriving at BRFC would do themselves a favour by underperforming for their early games / first season.

Clearly you USABlue would be far happier with a hard working striker without the trimmings. Did you see that lad for Barnsley at the weekend? He missed a simple 1 on 1 to deny his side a chance of extra time and who knows what else, and had only scored 2 goals in 40 games for them - but one of those was against Chelsea in the QF. But my word he works hard - and his head hasn't been turned by Chelsea, even though he knocked them out of the cup. Shall we snap him up to replace Benni??

Players like McCarthy and Samba can't win with some of our fans. They arrive, do too well early on for their own good, and then get slated because they can't maintain amazing performances week in week out over long periods.

McCarthy should have only bagged 8 goals in his first season, then his 11 this time around would be seen as the correct return. Samba should have bottled some of the awesome ball winning crunchers in his early days because now we'd forgive him his positional misjudgements.

These things reflect Rovers fans expectations for the club as a whole. If we're not making a domestic semi-final or in 6th place in the Premier League, half of the fans are up in arms. People need to get real. We are doing brilliantly to be where we are, and having McCarthy on the books is amazing - as a season ticket holder I pay to see great footballers and he is one.

I sincerely hope the reports of a deal until 2011 are true - I'll be buying season tickets for the next three years to watch the most skillful footballer at the club for ages.

Benni Mac a personal fave of yours? Not enough from him for me this season, not for 40K a week. Also clearly nothing tris, you know nowt about what I would prefer. What I would "clearly be happier with" is a player that puts in a few full shifts, even if he does have a few fancy tricks and good ball control, Benni just does not seem to put in enough effort. When he does I am the first to make mention of it, as I did a few games ago. Also a player that while he is under contract can remain focused on staying and playing for BRFC at somewhere close to %100 would be nice. It just seems to me that certain players, Benni's MGP's as an example can have one good season, win the hearts of a few fans and then to those fans they can never put a foot wrong, they will defend them to the hilt, even if their inclusion and subsequent under par performance seems to hurt the TEAM as a whole, oh well go figure.

Your sarcasm, regards the Barnsley game, is as lost on me as Benni was lost in the Chelsea game, he simply did not show up, I'm not on about missin a chance.

Anyway glad you are buying season tickets based on him being here, no doubt he has great skills but I guess I am not allowed to express any disappointment about his preformances cos you buy season tickets huh? Yes I do enjoy watching Benni too, at times, most of the time this season he has simply infuriated me.

Two differing opinions but I suppose yours is th eonly one that counts cos you'll be buying tickets, that little snipe was not lost on me, I am happy you will be donating to the 40K pw. Of his 8 this season, are 5 penalties?

I agree with Tris, he is one of the few players that have actually made me laugh out loud at just how brilliantly skillful he is, the guy is a genius. Some of his work has left me open mouthed, stunned by what was unfolding in front of me-unprecedented at my time at watching football at Ewood, from a home or away player, and I've been going since 1981.

I agree with Tris, he is one of the few players that have actually made me laugh out loud at just how brilliantly skillful he is, the guy is a genius. Some of his work has left me open mouthed, stunned by what was unfolding in front of me-unprecedented at my time at watching football at Ewood, from a home or away player, and I've been going since 1981.

I can't argue with that, sublime skill he does have, just wishing he'd bring his lunch pail once in a while too.

Benni Mac a personal fave of yours? Not enough from him for me this season, not for 40K a week. Also clearly nothing tris, you know nowt about what I would prefer.

And you know nowt about what his actual salary is. (Articles in the Daily Mail and at Tribalfootball without any quotes equals nowt)

As for pointing out that many are penalties; Well, we actually need to score the penalties we get. Benni does that. Derbs missed his last one, and IIRC Roberts (Against Bolton?) did too. Now of course we wouldn't have missed all of them had someone else taken them, but a solid penalty taker is very nice to have. Now don't get me wrong, Benni is capable of more than he's shown this season, but I think he gets too much criticism. Hell, some people even complained about him last season when he scored for fun, how he even then didn't put in enough effort.

And you know nowt about what his actual salary is. (Articles in the Daily Mail and at Tribalfootball without any quotes equals nowt)

As for pointing out that many are penalties; Well, we actually need to score the penalties we get. Benni does that. Derbs missed his last one, and IIRC Roberts (Against Bolton?) did too. Now of course we wouldn't have missed all of them had someone else taken them, but a solid penalty taker is very nice to have. Now don't get me wrong, Benni is capable of more than he's shown this season, but I think he gets too much criticism. Hell, some people even complained about him last season when he scored for fun, how he even then didn't put in enough effort.

A solid penalty taker is not worth £40k a week! We can't carry him on the off chance that we might get a pen, and if we get one when he's not on the pitch then the fact that he might have scored it is irrelevant.

If he is to be worth a new contract then he has to be interested in playing for the club.

He is a goal scorer who adds little else to the team apart from score goals, so what is the point of keeping him when he isn't even doing that? Unless he improves considerably or this is a ploy to make more money from a summer sale then I personally think a new contract is a big mistake.

He is a goal scorer who adds little else to the team apart from score goals, so what is the point of keeping him when he isn't even doing that?

Maybe your forgetting his haul last season?

Players can't play amazingly well for their entire career, they go through phases. Benni Mc also adds flair into rovers game and can spur on players like MGP and Bentley to get into the game more.

As Lathund said, Pens have to be scored, they are by no means a formality and Benni has been very reliable at sticking them away.

You can't chuck a player of Benni's class on the back of them having a bad season. I don't quite get the people who call for Roberts to start ahead of Benni all the time, yes he works hard but that's it! Roberts has shown us what he has got and it's just not good enough to get ahead of Benni, even Derbyshire has more prem goals and he's been on the right wing!

There have been quite a few balls lurking around in the box this season that were crying out for Benni to be on the end of. And if he had been on the pitch at the time I am sure the net would have bulged accordingly.

Players like McCarthy and Samba can't win with some of our fans. They arrive, do too well early on for their own good, and then get slated because they can't maintain amazing performances week in week out over long periods.

The treatment of Nelsen by some of the fans was even more disgraceful. But that's football.

To be fair to USABlue McCarthy has added very little to the side this season. He comes too deep, the way we are playing doesn't suit him. If we could get the ball to him more often in or around the penalty area I am sure he would be effective, but it doesn't get there. Too often when he does recieve the ball he is a million miles from goal. The reason this happens is partly his fault (coming deep, lack of effort, lack of pace, poor runs behind the defence) and partly the teams (poor service, paying relatively deep, lack of support from midfield).

McCarthy is a high quality player but the way we have adjusted our play this season means he is not in the picture. I am not against him, he is apart from Tugay the most skillful player at the club, but if we can't get him to fit with our game what is the point?

If we could use the money raised to buy a player who completments Cruz better that would be a shrewder move imo.

Maybe your forgetting his haul last season?

You can't chuck a player of Benni's class on the back of them having a bad season.

And you can't forgive all sins and give them the Earth on the back of one good season that they show no evidence of repeating.

There have been quite a few balls lurking around in the box this season that were crying out for Benni to be on the end of. And if he had been on the pitch at the time I am sure the net would have bulged accordingly.

He's had plenty of time on the pitch. No goals from open play this year (since October?) and he only lost his place a few weeks ago.

as a season ticket holder I pay to see great footballers and he is one.

I sincerely hope the reports of a deal until 2011 are true - I'll be buying season tickets for the next three years to watch the most skillful footballer at the club for ages.

If it was just (discounted) season tickets that paid for the players, you'd still be watching Bobby Svarc and Joe Craig upfront, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to mention the fact you have a season ticket in almost every post replying to one of us overseas fans.

Overseas TV rights - paid for by USABlue, me and a few hundred million others - contribute more to Benni's wedge and also play a key role in attracting the great footballers for the global exposure. Or perhaps you believe that Benni and Santa were attracted by the thought of performing for 14,000 tartan rug clad die-hards huddled around their thermoses?

And you can't forgive all sins and give them the Earth on the back of one good season that they show no evidence of repeating.

He's had plenty of time on the pitch. No goals from open play this year (since October?) and he only lost his place a few weeks ago.

Of course, BL. Didn't make myself clear there. I meant if Benni had been lurking in the box! He's been too far out most of the time as joey says.

Perhaps with a little improvement in his work ethic he would have been on the pitch. That's really my only bitch, well that an offsides and his touting himself for just about anyone but Rovers at seasons beginning. Nothing more than that really.

Also don't forget I am not just on his case, I give credit where it's due, in fact it was just the other week I was lauding his efforts in the first half. He was so full of effort I believe I even asked who the imposter was. Now if he brought THAT effort week in and week out I would not complain one bit even through a bit of a lean spell on the scoring front.

No goals from open play this year (since October?) and he only lost his place a few weeks ago.

Around the time he was dropped from the South Africa squad for the African Nations. Maybe that has affected him more than we thought.

His work ethic has definitely improved since his lean spell, however I'm not sure that's what i want him to be doing. I'd much rather he was lazy and scored goals, rather than chase around and be nowhere near the goal when he is needed. Still the idea with 2 strikers is that 1 is on form when the other isn't and if your lucky you get 2 in form and storm the league.

You saw Duncan McKenzie then. Benni's not quite in the same showboating league as Dunc was.

Perhaps with a little improvement in his work ethic he would have been on the pitch. That's really my only bitch, well that an offsides and his touting himself for just about anyone but Rovers at seasons beginning. Nothing more than that really.

Also don't forget I am not just on his case, I give credit where it's due, in fact it was just the other week I was lauding his efforts in the first half. He was so full of effort I believe I even asked who the imposter was. Now if he brought THAT effort week in and week out I would not complain one bit even through a bit of a lean spell on the scoring front.

Did he score though?

Supposed effort does not necessarily mean goals, which is what we need.

I would much rather he was lazy and scoring than full of running and not.

McKenzie is the single most exceptional talent I ever saw in a Rovers shirt- so many things that lad did are etched forever in my memory.

Lars Bohinen could do some wonderful things with a football and the current generation are well-served by Tugay and Benni but McKenzie is the best and that goal he scored at Field Mill the most impudent and breath taking.

And what about the role of a certain Stuart Metcalfe ? He could do amazing things but never got to the big time.

The same could be said of a certain Simon Barker.

Rovers have been graced with some quality players over the years and for that we are truly thankful.

And what about the role of a certain Stuart Metcalfe ? He could do amazing things but never got to the big time.

Yeah, he was on The Big Match Revisted today. Rovers away at Newcastle, April 1983.

He received the ball on his chest just inside the area, juggled with it and then hit a beautiful lob into the top corner giving the keeper Jim Arnold no chance!

Yes, the best own goal I've ever seen.

We got beat 3 - 2.

I trust in Hughes. We signed Bellamy he did good, he went, we made profit and replace with Benni.

Benni did fantastic and got 23 goals (18 in league) - we kept him and signed Roque for cheap - again has done great.

Ok Benni hasnt got as many goals this year but from 28 games i think (21 as a starter) he has 8 league goals (10 in total), which is as many as Drogba and more than Viduka, Andy Johnson, Darren Bent, Kuyt, Crouch etc.

Would you advise there clubs to sell aswell?? Dont be daft.

Who could we replace Benni with for a sensible price?? Id rathe we shifted Roberts and Gallagher and signed another top class striker to go with Roque, Benni and the young Potential in Derbyshire.

I trust in Hughes. We signed Bellamy he did good, he went, we made profit and replace with Benni.

Benni did fantastic and got 23 goals (18 in league) - we kept him and signed Roque for cheap - again has done great.

Ok Benni hasnt got as many goals this year but from 28 games i think (21 as a starter) he has 8 league goals (10 in total), which is as many as Drogba and more than Viduka, Andy Johnson, Darren Bent, Kuyt, Crouch etc.

Would you advise there clubs to sell aswell?? Dont be daft.

Who could we replace Benni with for a sensible price?? Id rathe we shifted Roberts and Gallagher and signed another top class striker to go with Roque, Benni and the young Potential in Derbyshire.

good work, i agree with that post

Archived