BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Axe The League Cup. Champs Lge For Fac Winners

What is the point of having two domestic knock out competitions now that the formats are so similar?

Axing the League Cup for Premier League clubs would reduce fixture congestion and raise the profile of the FA Cup.

To make the FA Cup more attractive, consideration should be given to awarding the winners one of the Champions League places.

:brfc:B)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree.

Short memory?We won the thing 5 years ago. 30k rovers fans, geat atmosphere ,great game, great day, domestic honour, uefa cup etc.

Also, it tends to be some prem league clubs who are apathetic towards the league cup because of fixture congestion etc. Well, there are 92 league clubs. Most of these would be in favour of keeping the league cup. Any cup which allows the likes of Wycombe to match chelsea can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Lastly, generally, the league cup finals have been more exciting than the fa cup finals over the last 10 years

The league is predetermined by the amounts of money you have to spend; only rich clubs win the prem! However, on their day any club can beat anyone else almost without exception. Therefore the more cup competitions you have, the more chance of a smaller, less well-off club winning something, so why on earth would anyone want to scrap the League Cup?

I'm all for keeping the League Cup.Even the big clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea want to win it now.

It's same with the U.E.F.A Cup,it's getting it's status back.I think the U.E.F.A Cup games have been a lot more exciting than most of the so called prestigious Champs League..

Lets not forget that great day in Cardiff,that's what it's all about.

There is substance in awarding the FA Cup winners a Champions League place. It would mean the big 4 wouldnt be guaranteed a spot through the league and all clubs would start taking it a hell of a lot more seriously.

However the League Cup is a good competition that allows lesser clubs a chance. Sure Chelsea / United etc.. have won it recently but the 1 legged no replay format means that with the luck of the draw there is more chance of a smaller club winning it than the FA Cup.

If the big clubs want less games why not revert the purely money-spinning Champions League back to a straight knock out.

If the big clubs want less games why not revert the purely money-spinning Champions League back to a straight knock out.

I was just going to say the same thing. The League Cup is a long standing English Football tradition and it must stay.

There is substance in awarding the FA Cup winners a Champions League place. It would mean the big 4 wouldnt be guaranteed a spot through the league and all clubs would start taking it a hell of a lot more seriously.

However the League Cup is a good competition that allows lesser clubs a chance. Sure Chelsea / United etc.. have won it recently but the 1 legged no replay format means that with the luck of the draw there is more chance of a smaller club winning it than the FA Cup.

I think teams take it seriously enough as it is and to award a Champions League spot to the winner would devalue the competition greatly. There is no way that we could allow a Plymouth or Watford to be in the Champions League.

I was just going to say the same thing. The League Cup is a long standing English Football tradition and it must stay.

In my opinion the change they should change European competitions by making the Champions League only available to champions and the winners of the previous Champions League and UEFA Cup (if that team qualifies through the league then it will be passed on to the team finishing second) while making the UEFA Cup a straight knock-out the entire time and put all of the other sides in there (meaning in England this wold be 2-5, FA Cup Winners and League Cup winners). It will never happen but I think it would make things more interesting (although I probably only think that because I support a side who will probably not be in the Champions League anytime soon).

Better still , why don't they just sod off and form a Euro league - that way they get to play money spinning games on the continent every week .....

It would last 5 years at the most. Brilliant, especially when they "big teams" come crawling back and have to work through the league system to reach the top league again

:tu:

Surely the campaign should start now

You must be joking. If anything, Rovers fans should be campaigning for more competitions. The more the big teams have to play, the more they have to rest players and get suspensions, opening up chances for us to win things.

With no League Cup we'd probably never win another trophy again.

It should be made into a British Cup with the Scottish league added into it

No thanks! Just leave the Scottish League alone. As it stands now it is still 98% uncontaminated by big money and apart from the old firm can be relied on to play a more enjoyable and watchable game of footie as it used to be in Engand until the big money poisoned it.

Better still , why don't they just sod off and form a Euro league - that way they get to play money spinning games on the continent every week .....

Absolutely! And take F****ing Rangers and Celtic with them. Then we can ALL get back to a decent and fair competition.

And stop playing meaningless games such as the Man U vs European XI in a 'celebration match' :blink: next week.

The League cup has to stay, its the only real chance that the smaller clubs have to win a trophy.

Quite like the idea of turning it into a British cup. In fact I think it would be a great idea to add teams from the Welsh and Irish top leagues as well. I daresay UEFA would oppose it though.

Archived