BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crazy Proposal

What is this? the effing NFL ?

Why not have the multiball option after 85 minutes, along with big pointing foam gloves for kids, advert breaks before every goal kick, manditory mullets and 3 points for a goal outside the penalty area?

And cheer leaders running on and showing their frillys to the ref before every free kick given against the home side.

Wow so Wenger starts crying that we killed the game against them to get a replay and the FA runs to his bidding.

Why don't we do this then and have seedings put in place based solely on league position when the draw is made. Then the higher seeded would be the visitors when it comes to playing each other. That way these Big 4 won't get home draws against the Bournemouth's, and Bury's of the world...

Scrapping the replays...Poppycock!

i was just about to post this thread bucky. agreed that it is outrageous and no doubt we all agree that it is something that is not wanted. a draw has been a part of the fabric of this game ever since league games began 2 centurys ago. there is absolutely nothing wrong with the points system as it stands and if no winner can be found in the the game then i think a draw is a fair result for both teams.

I'll repeat my suggestion mentioned in an earlier thread at the time Mr Whinger was going on about teams going to Franchise Stadium and not playing expansive footy that allows them to score at least six goals past team from tourist hell hole.

Take our Arsenal cup fixture as an example:-

They get drawn at home.

The home team due to all their fixtures/injuries/pressures on their 30 man squads decide that they do not want a replay.

They have the option to make this game decided on the day, with typical extra time and then penalties.

In exchange for this choice, they relinquish home advantage, with the match played at Ewood.

Fairly simple idea that deals with the big clubs alledged problem with fixture back logs. Smaller club in exchange receive an increased chance of progression and could even be allocated a higher percentage of the gate.

I personally feel however that it is not necessarily fixtures piling up that is the concern, however they wish to increase their chance of success at smaller clubs expense.

Although it would be interesting to see Kenyons, Gills & Deins view!!

It's an interesting proposal, but I think the first and the big question which must be asked is

What is wrong with draws? Why do they have to be abandoned?

Then I put my anorak on and looked at the currrent premier league and looked at each teams draws. If penalty kicks are a 50/50 outcome & three points then the only team that would move up a place is Watford. They have 11 draws ergo: 11 points.

If they had won those games via a 50% chance of penalties & 3 points then they would be on 36 points & above Wigan.

No other team would have moved a place.

I somewhat agree with Wenger, I think though the advantage should ALWAYS go to the most attacking football sides.

There should be a designated part of a score that refers to corners as being the second choice for deciding a match

Blackburn 0/11 - Arsenal 0/09 - Rovers win

The 4-5-1 Everton, Bolton and even counter attacking styles of Chelsea and Liverpool would fall short in a draw situation. Also this would encourage more teams to go on the attack leaving the back exposed for a counter and possibly what we are there for GOALS.

Of course a team could rack up 30 corners but they would mean squat if they were down 1 nil

I somewhat agree with Wenger, I think though the advantage should ALWAYS go to the most attacking football sides.

The advantage as always usually ends with the better sides winning the ties and not necessarily the most attractive. Look no further than Chelsea for an example. I must say Wenger suprises me as one off games usually suit the smaller clubs. Home and away fixtures caused by a drawn tie suit the bigger clubs.

I suppose that it's the usual story of managers of the richer clubs whingeing about too many games though. If thats his real problem then he should apply pressure to get the Champions League format returned to the old European Cup one. The FA Cup has been around for 130 years or so whereas the Champions League for around a decade so it's obvious that that is the root of the problem. Alternatively how about conducting less friendly but lucrative pre-season games? Course he'd never do that would he? His whinges are more about TV money and not gate receipts as is increasingly usual with the big clubs.

It's also a lot to do with attitudes of managers. Recently our fixture pile up has actually seemed to inspire us whereas theirs has destroyed their season. Maybe not having the luxury of a large squad is the key. Wenger should reflect that he might well have got past us if he had picked his first X1 at Highbury!

I rem the likes of LUFC and Liverpool playing about 65 matches a season in all comps when they were top dogs. The Prem league has been reduced by two teams and now teams only play 38 matches instead of the 42, yet we still hear the moans ...... or are the moans really just the excuses of a manager who has run his course at a club in an attempt to deflect from poor performances?

Absolutely crazy idea.

Draws are becoming a rarity anyway following the introduction of 3 points for a win; look at Rovers' figures this season- w12 d4 l13. (For the statistics freak, the Highland League table shows a remarkable lack of draws season after season).

Abolishing draws goes totally against the grain of football- some of the greatest games I have seen have been draws. Indeed, Aston Villa 0 Notts County 0 in the '70s in the old Third Division is an outstanding example- both teams got roared off by an appreciative 30,000+ crowd. It would have been a travesty if that had gone to penalties after both keepers had saved at least half a dozen good on target strikes during the game.

How many times have we seen ten men behind the ball playing for penalties in European competition or FA Cup replays? It is occasionally exciting to experience the drama if not the quality of football in knock-out Cups with one team hanging on for grim death but to have a club like Man City with hopeless attackers and some decent defenders building a wall then having good spot kickers would be the death of football.

Going to penalties for an extra point will actually benefit negative sides and encourage defensive football.

Teams that are tight at the back and don't score many goals will be able to pick up many more points than they can at the moment by playing for 0-0's and 1-1's and picking up the extra points in the lottery of penalties.

At 0-0 with ten minutes to go, I would imagine many teams would just play out the rest of the game, happy with at least a point and a good chance of two.

At the bottom of the league, after a long hard season you'd find the teams going down would probably be the ones who'd been the worst at penalties all season, missing most opportunities to turn one point into two.

It's a stupid idea and it devalues football skills and tactical knowledge.

To be fair, in the NHL they have a shootout. The winner gets an extra point, but the loser still gets the 1 point for a draw. For them that works pretty well, but it is a faster higher scoring game (mostly) and they still work on the 2 for a win, 1 for a draw. Plus they play 82 games and have playoffs.

Still, it wouldn't work for the Premiership.

fife...they have cheerleaders at boltonabeit 12 year old,a bit disturbing i know.

neekoy ..your idea on corners is flawed ,you say it would reward attacking play...eg.team A has 80% of possesion and 10 shots that hit the bar,post or just miss and do everything but score now team b has one attack and the goalie tips it over the bar and its a draw on your corner proposal team b deserves to win because of 1 shot.

They complain because they're still in both cups and the European cups, news flash - TOUGH TITTY.

You dont want fixture congestion, dont enter European competitions

Exactly, the extra money they get from these competitions can easily fund increased squad size, they have a monopoly already.

What next don't bother playing the game? Just give them the money? Make the actual 'draw' the competition. Hot balls , cold balls all the way to the final? no fixture congestion?

I wouldn't knock the NFL too much I think there are many good ideas in there (amongst the really bad ones).

Centralised player contracts with the premier league so clubs don't negotiate with players (salary caps become possible - whilst premier league still can attract the best in the world), every summer hold a 'draft' with players of different classes & positions in different pots and hey presto every club gets a new squad every year.... best manager gets his team working together fastest and anyone can win the league (and be relegated!) - football is super competitive and the crowds flock back.

Next problem, solution to world peace.....

Apparently the FA Cup has a rule whereby if both teams agree, the game can be decided on the day with ET and pens and no reply. SO here is a challenge to the big boys who dont want replys - make the other team a tempting financial offer (200k?) to decide on the day. And for all you cycnics out there ..... of course their accountants won't have the final say!

Madness

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It's exciting enough as it is, there is no need to try and make it "more exciting"

Fools

I agree Bucky.

However, as Ronin hinted at... then I think it's part of an 'April Fools'.

Do you remember when Match of the Day extended the length of the goals for some football club about 6-8 or so years ago.

I think it was a Premiership team and remember the keeper was struggling badly on the high shots.

Could this be something similar??

All this would do is either make defensive teams more defensive, because they'll know they can't win if they play an open match, so they'll go for penalties. Or it'll make teams play open football and get whooped.

I swear, if Fergie complains about having too many games, after playing Manchester United against Europe, then i'm going to spontaneously combust.

To be fair to Wenger he has come out he is the first manager to criticise the idea.

League considers scrapping draws

Scrapping cup replays might not be such a bad thing...providing, as Mourinho suggested, that the lower team gets to play at home. Having the big sides needing to win away from home may lead to more giantkillings. After all...isn't it those that help make the FA Cup special? The chance of David overcoming Goliath...

Archived