BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Away + Coleman Fired.

Poor decision. Coleman showed he was a good manager in his first couple of seasons at Fulham but hasn't received any backing from Al-Fayed. Tigana was allowed to squander money on the likes of Marlet and Sava but Coleman has had to just grin and bear the losses of the likes Saha, Malbranque, Finnan, Davis, Van Der Sar and Boa Morte.

bing the board can't sack themselves for selling players so the manager keeps the fans happy. If they go down they blame coleman, if they stay up sanchez is a hero.

They have a weakish team that has to perform all game every game and rarely do.

Just the pick up they need ahead of an encounter with us.

Coleman has proven himself to be a good coach. Fulham's position is indicative of the quality of their squad: average. To sack your manager when there is little chance of you going down is strange to say the least.

To the outsider it looks a bit harsh given his overall record but Fulham fans who watch their team week in week out probably feel differently.

The old "Shelf life" syndrome?

Strange time to do it though. If it was for purely footballing reasons, you'd have thought the Fulham Board would have acted six or seven games sooner.

Always liked Coleman. Goes a bit over the top with his reactions to reffing decisions but he's honest and certainly shows passion.

Think they could well regret this move. Fulham have been gradually weakened as each season has gone by since Tigana left. Coleman has plenty of tactical noose and will always be able to stop a poor run with this manor. Unfortunately they're relying more and more on the ever ageing Bryan McBride to put the goals in. Who will Laurie Sanchez bring to the club apart from David Healy?

You know a manager's on his last legs at a club when he splashes cash on an 'established' non-entity.

Simon Davies has declined into mediocrity since his days as one of Mark Hughes' Wales' (non-tournament qualifying) star performers. When Coleman signed him, the writing was on the wall. You sign mediocre players from middle-of-the-road clubs at your own peril (usually). (Curbs and Marcus Bent is another example).

Coleman is a good manager who has been unlucky to lose his job because the Fulham board listened to supporters rather than back him through the tough times. Hopefully he will still be available when Hughes leaves next season.

What do Fulham expect? Coleman has probably done as well as anyone could with what he's had, the ionly way is down for them. Pity because I think its a good away trip and with their away record a guaranteed 3 points at home.

Considering Fulham have sold two of their best players in the window- Malbranque and Boa Morte - I think this is a bit harsh... In the longer run it will give Sanchez more time to build a team though.

As for Jim Mk II I am a little baffled as to why he thinks Coleman should have got more support by the board and why Hughes should be sacked. Surely Hughes is doing a better job than Coleman in a similar situation?

I was hoping we could get Sanchez when Hughes left for greener pastures...

I just read the reason I wouldn't want Coleman - only 2 away wins in 2 seasons - including a loss to Sunderland.

Coleman is a good manager who has been unlucky to lose his job because the Fulham board listened to supporters rather than back him through the tough times. Hopefully he will still be available when Hughes leaves next season.

Please renew my faith in the human race and tell me you are joking.

Guest shoppybrfc
You know a manager's on his last legs at a club when he splashes cash on an 'established' non-entity.

Simon Davies has declined into mediocrity since his days as one of Mark Hughes' Wales' (non-tournament qualifying) star performers. When Coleman signed him, the writing was on the wall. You sign mediocre players from middle-of-the-road clubs at your own peril (usually). (Curbs and Marcus Bent is another example).

He also signed McBride who hasnt done too badly, got 5mill for Boa Morte, who stopped playing well a few seasons ago, but Curbs was too dumb to realise this :D. Also Bullard was looking good, their equivalent of us losing Reid. Although he does seem to be wasting Collins John, and Helguson is nothing more then championship striker, same with Radinkski.

I'd be gutted if Coleman was our manager WHEN Hughes goes, hes a moaning prick.

I think it is actually quiet a good decsion by the Fulham board.

If they had decided that they need a change, and lets be honest Coleman was hardly setting the world on fire was he, then why wait until they are in trouble after ten games next year? Why not bin him off when they are not in trouble, give the new manager a few games this season to get to know the players and then he knows what to buy over the summer. Fulham are then well placed to get a good start next year.

He is under little pressure as Fulham are not pushing for any honours and look safe from relegation. So on the whole, I think they have made a decent decision.

Coleman is a good manager who has been unlucky to lose his job

A link for you below James....

"Fulham went backwards under Coleman. He didn't understand the importance of physical fitness"

It appears as if Chris Coleman is from the same school of management as Graeme Souness when it comes to fitness work on the training ground. Both managers neglected to physically prepare their players properly. In the case of Rovers, this led to a squad (which as Mark Hughes publicly said) was nowhere near fit enough for the demands of the Premiership. Mr Souness was the man responsible for the woeful fitness levels.

In the case of Fulham, they are currently hovering just four points above the relegation zone, having played one more game than rivals Sheffield United and West Ham. They are in a relegation dogfight. Mr Coleman is the man responsible.

I just read the reason I wouldn't want Coleman - only 2 away wins in 2 seasons - including a loss to Sunderland.

Coleman has an abysmal away record with Fulham. They were dreadful when they came to Ewood Park in December. As Sylvain Legwinski says of Coleman: "He didn't work us hard. He didn't seem to know what it takes to run a football team. Fulham have gone backwards under him."

It's ludicrous to suggest that Hughes should be sacked and replaced by a manager who has left Fulham five points worse off than Rovers (with Fulham having played one more game).

• 2 months later...
Interesting decision to hire Chris Coleman. when's the last time a Welshman was hired to manage a Spanish club?

I can't give you the year, but John Toshack has managed in Spain. He was in charge of one of the Basque clubs- twice I think, and I have the impression he might have also managed Real Madrid for a spell.

Coleman could do OK since they are relegated. Maybe any politics, surly players etc. can be sorted out and the club can rebuild. I thought Chris did well at Fulham considering he had very little money and had to sell his best player every season.

Archived