BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup Semi-final .

FA CUP SEMI-FINAL ‘PREVIEW’.

BlackburnvChelsea_scuffle_L.jpg

As Rovers’ prepare this week for the eagerly awaited FA Cup Semi-final against Londoners Chelsea, we sit down to share our thoughts on what could lie ahead and resemble on what history really is.

BLACKBURN ROVERS

FA CUP SUCCESS

won 6 times, loosing only 2 finals

1st FINAL APPEARANCE

LAST FINAL APPEARANCE

LAST FA CUP VICTORY

BIG FACT:

The only team to have won trophy on three successive seasons.

THIS SEASONS TOP FA CUP SCORER:

Derbyshire (4)

CURRENT INJURIES

Robbie Savage (broken leg, expected back June 2007)

Andre Ooijer (broken leg, expected back June 2007)

Steven Reid (ACL, expected back July 2007)

CHELSEA:-

FA CUP SUCCESS:

won 3 times, loosing 4 finals

1st FINAL APPEARANCE:

LAST FINAL APPEARANCE:

LAST FA CUP VICTORY:

BIG FACT:

Won less than half of their FA Cup final appearances.

THIS SEASONS TOP FA CUP SCORER:

Lampard (5)

CURRENT INJURIES

Arjen Robben (knee, expected back 27th April 2007)

ROVERS 2006/07 FA CUP PASSAGE:-

3rd ROUND: Everton (A)

Won 1-4: Derbyshire (5), Gamst (21), Gallagher (38), McCarthy (90)

4th ROUND: Luton Town (A)

Won 0-4: Derbyshire (10, 56), McCarthy (37), Gamst (74)

5th ROUND: Arsenal (A)

Drew 0-0:

5th ROUND (replay): Arsenal (H)

Won 1-0: McCarthy (86)

QUARTER-FINAL: Man City (H)

Won 2-0: Mokoena (27), Derbyshire (90)

CHELSEA’S 2006/07 FA CUP PASSAGE

3rd ROUND: Macclesfield Town (H)

Won 6-1: Lampard (16, 40, 50-pen), Wright-Phillips (67), Mikel (81), Carvalho (85)

4th ROUND: Nottingham Forest (H)

Won 3-0: Shevchenko (8), Drogba (17), Mikel (45)

5th ROUND: Norwich (H)

Won 4-0: Wright-Phillips (38), Drogba (51), Essien (90), Shevchenko (90)

QUARTER-FINAL: Tottenham Hotspur (H)

Drew 3-3: Lampard (21,70) Kalou (85)

QUARTER-FINAL (replay): Tottenham Hotspur (A)

Won 2-1: Shevchenko (54), Wright-Phillips (60)

LAST FA CUP MEETING BETWEEN SIDES

1983-84: (3rd Round): Blackburn 1-0 Chelsea (Brotherston)

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

1930-31: (5th Round): Chelsea 3-0 Blackburn

1908-09: (2nd Round): Blackburn 2-1 Celsea (Cameron, Latheron)

To finalise my preview, I've managed to get in contact with Lee Brotherston, who is the son of a former Rovers' winger, the late Noel Brotherston. I thought it would have been very appropriate that we should get a few words from someone linked to the famous winger, as he was the last person to score in an FA Cup tie between Blackburn and Chelsea, in which Blackburn won 1-0.

noel.328267.full.jpg

(Lee Brotherston with one of his fathers jerseys)

LEE, HOW DOES IT FEEL THAT YOUR FATHER SCORED THE WINNER IN THE LAST FA CUP TIE OVER CHELSEA?

I was actually unaware of this fact, until you had mentioned it earlier. So I said it to my mum Lynne and she believes that we could have been mascots for that match, as there is a photo of my brother Ryan and myself in our lounge as mascots before a Chelsea fixture. Anyhow, it's a real privilege to learn of this fact and I'm proud of what my father achieved. I do have the feeling that if we score on Sunday it will come from the left hand side again.

WHAT'S BEEN BLACKBURN'S BIGGEST DOWNFALL THIS SEASON?

Certainly injuries have played it's part and we've had a few long term casualties, but loosing twice to United this season has been my own lowest point.

WHAT HAVE YOU MADE OF CHELSEA'S SEASON?

Despite them not playing their best football and well-known rifts in the ranks, they've had a fairly decent season. With one trophy down, they're expecting another three, but hopefully we'll rule that down to two after the weekend.

WHO DO YOU FEAR IN THE CHELSEA RANKS (if anyone)?

As we all know, Chelsea have a very strong side and Benni will find it tough getting past John Terry and Petr Cech. Shevchenko isn't quite the player he once was and despite the fact of him coming into some sort of form, Samba will have him in his back pocket. We'll also have to be cautious of Lampard as he's capable of scoring a vast amount of goals for Chelsea.

WHAT DO YOU FEEL ARE BLACKBURN CHANCES IN THE SEMI-FINAL TIE?

I feel that we have a good chance. As you know it's the FA Cup and anything can happen. Logic does say that we're going to get beat, but I'm a firm believer in history and that's what Chelsea has very little of when it comes to prestigious FA Cup.

WHERE CAN BLACKBURN WIN THIS TIE?

We'll need McCarthy to step up a gear, as we could be relying on his fire-power as he's capable of the best. We've seen what he's produced in the past, especially in the replay against Arsenal. If Pedersen and Bentley both hit top form, then Chelsea could be in for a torrid time. Finally you can never look too far past our best goalkeeper that we've ever had the club and Friedel could become another potential match-winner.

WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS ON MARK HUGHES?

Hughesy is a great manager and would love to see him stay on as manager for a few more season's. He's brought belief and some decent talent to Blackburn and we've also endured a few great cup runs under him. Let's hope we can make it to a final now though.

WHAT HAVE YOU MADE OF MOURINHO?

He's a character. He's shown that he's a good manager, but many will argue that he's had ample resources readily available to him. Whatever they win or don't win, he'll definitely be gone at the end of the season, as Mr Abramovich rules the roost at the Bridge.

KEY-ENCOUNTERS?

Shevchenko and Samba (laughing)!!

I think the Bentley and Ashley Cole will be a real interesting encounter. I feel that Cole has been well over-hyped and id Bentley is on top of his game, then Mr McLaren will have to sit up and take notice. There will also be a familiar one of Drogba and the grass as he'll be usually be lying spread-eagled on the turf many times over, looking for his penalties and free-kicks.

PREDICTIONS?.

Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Chelsea.

Pedersen free-kick.

ANY THOUGHTS ON THE OTHER SEMI-FINAL?

C'mon Watford!!

I haven't really thought about it to be honest. I hate to say it, but you can't really see anything other than a Man Utd win, as they've shown they are one of the best sides in Europe.

Thanks very much Lee for your insight into this weekends FA Cup Semi-Final.

Much appreciated and maybe we might be able to get a small collection and buy you a pint before the season ends!!

:rover::brfc::rover:

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to be honest, I'm starting to get the same feeling as before the last semi v Arsenal - i.e. that there's no way we'll win.

Chelski seem to grind out win after win even when they're not playing well.

Still - stranger things have happened. Should be a very enjoyable day whatever happens.

I don't read any prediction before the match, and never ever talk about next game... it necessarily result in we lose.unwittingly, I read this topic! Sorry.... It's my jinx. Don't throw stones at me ...

I really want to break my zinx up.

but ...my prediction is ... 4-1 lose and at least 1 sending off .

If we're to have the slightest of chance in this game then the 11 players in red will need to each play a blinder. Nelsen needs to lead by example...Emo and Warnock cannot afford a lapse in concentration and attacking wise Bentley and Gamst have to step up to the mantle. And Benni-show us why your a big game player please.

Chelsea appear to have no injuries at all-and this should point to a resounding victory for them.

If we fall behind then we're screwed-especially if we did go 4-5-1. If we could somehow get our noses in front then you just never know.

Rovers 1 Chelsea 0

Gamst

Last night I watched Man.U. dispose of Roma like the were playing a Conference team. They were simply awsome, and however much I have hated them in the past, I have to give them the respect they have earned and fully deserve after that performance (I will never refer to them as Manure again). What has this got to do with Rovers coming game against Chelski? Simple! Rovers will NEED to raise their game to something like the level shown by Man.U. to have any chance of progressing in the semi on Sunday. And I do believe it is POSSIBLE; providing the players every last one of the 16 chosen sets their minds to DOING it. We have seen it already this season that they can raise their game on the few occasions when they ALL decide to do it together. So COME ON YOU ROVERS!!!!! Get out there and play the game of your lives ---ALL of you TOGETHER!!!!!

We experienced this "power play" against us at OT last week. Second half United practiced their power play on us and only succeeded in scoring 4, not 7. We should take heart from that, and remember the few times we have produced "power play" of our own this season. We have done it a number of times in patches and our opponents on the day could not live with it. Examples: Portsmouth at Ewood, Citeh H & A, Bolton A, Spurs A last season etc. It can be done! Just needs total committment from the players and coaching staff!!

:rover: please please please please pretty please,no one start singing COME ON YOU REDS :wstu::brfc: PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not holding out much hope but all I want is for Rovers to show that we can put up a good fight and play good football.

And hopefully that annoying England superstar ( :unsure: ) Frank Lampard won't score or assist against us like he always dows.

I am still unbeaten watching Rovers play away from home this season, so this tie is already won :rover:

Rovers 7 - 1 Chelski

Mokoena 11, 60

Roberts 17

Benni 19

Bentley 44, 49

Warnock 81

for Chelski: Mikel 39

if they can, we can :ph34r:

no seriously:

Rovers 2 - 0 Chelski

Derbyshire 57, 81

:rover:

I just can't see a way we'll win this game. I keep searching for where we might have the real edge and I can't find it, Chelsea just seem to grind results out and even if they don't really turn up I think we'll find it to be very difficult. I'm never very optimistic when we play Chelsea, against Liverpool, United and Arsenal I always feel pretty good because I feel their attacking style might allow us to either sneak it or that they won't play well. Against Chelsea on the other hand they are just so organised that they are pretty much a more skillful version of the midtable sides.

Chelsea 3-0 Rovers

First goal to come shortly before half-time and then two to follow quickly after.

I'm going to this one of course but it feels like punishment more than anything.

Spent more than £100 and all for watching a near certain Chelsea win.

Our players will be closed down by Chelsea like frightened rabbits chased by ever persistent rays of light, like the type you see on theatre stages.

There can only be one result in this and I will buy everyone on this mB a pint if Blackburn Rovers get to the final.

No scoreline prediction from me.

All the fans ask for Rovers is that you play with pride and passion and give these Chelsea b'stards the hardest game of their lives.

:brfc::rover::brfc:

P.S.

Noel Brotherston is fondly remembered by all at Ewood,I may be wrong but was the goal he scored against Chelsea in the cup a fantastic 30 yrd volley?.........I have never forgotten it to this day.

Lee Brotherston, if you do read this site would you be kind enough,if possible,to send in some photo's of any of your fathers football memorabilia,I'm sure all Rover fans would love to see them.

Same as against Arsenal please.

With teams like Chelsea and the ManUre (I will still call them that) if you score too early it almost gives them a shockk wake up and they come out all guns blazing in the 2nd half.

Leave Benni on the bench. Don't give them any space, kick lumps out them (make sure Hughsy gets the nod off the ref though before any sendings off of course) then bring McCarthy and Dunn on with 20 mins to go and make sure some silly goal celebration with Roberts has been arranged and it will be job done.

1 - 0, McCarthy 85

The FA have today announced that in future all Semi Finals, as well as the final, will be held at Wembley in order for tha fans not to have to worry about the tickets.

The story is on the Beeb but I haven't posted the link.

So enjoy the day out on Sunday.

Archived