SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup Semi-final .

GMP recommended hostelries for Rovers fans on the day:

Samuel Platts - Trafford Wharf Road

The Village - Third Avenue

Trafford Park Hotel - Ashburton Road West

Salford Quays: Lime Bar, Exchange Bar, Quay House

If the weather's nice, the Quay House has a good beer garden by the water.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to the queries on the semi-final preview topic below are details of a great pub in Manchester City Centre which will be open to Rovers fans from 10am (a whole two hours earlier than usual).

It's the Lass o'Gowrie on Charles Street, which is a stone throws away from Oxford Road station and about a five minute walk from Piccadilly station or St Peters Square tram stop. It's a traditional victorian ale house, no chrome or similar rubbish in sight and it's got a good selection of ales including Fosters, Carling, Greene King IPA (Southern, but I'm told it's good), Staropramen, Abbots Ale, Speckled Hen and 4 guest ales

The pub also does a good selection of home made grub including pies, roast dinners, sandwiches and will on Sunday be offering an all day breakfast as a football special.

Reason I know you'll get a warm welcome is that my boyfriend is the landlord, and although a Spurs fan from North Wales (??, I keep reminding him of that glorious day in Cardiff in 2002) he realises that Rovers fans can drink all Londoners under the table. I will of course be having a few beers in the pub before making the short trip to scum palace. There may be some Chelsea fans in there too but it's a pub which has never had problems with rival supporters.

More info on the pub, including a map and directions can be found at www.thelass.co.uk

Let's hope it's a great day for Rovers, and enjoy your day wherever you get your ale

Hi LeChuck, the pub prides itself on welcoming all football fans to watch their team without hassle, abuse or trouble. Often they have rival fans sat next to each other indulging in a bit of friendly banter.

Anyone out of line is quickly thrown out. They've got a big screen and 3 plasma screens all showing the game. They get a lot of neutrals watching games there so think you'll get a good atmosphere during the match itself.

Please wear your Rovers shirt with pride, there's no silly football shirt policy at this pub!!

In response to the queries on the semi-final preview topic below are details of a great pub in Manchester City Centre which will be open to Rovers fans from 10am (a whole two hours earlier than usual).

It's the Lass o'Gowrie on Charles Street, which is a stone throws away from Oxford Road station and about a five minute walk from Piccadilly station or St Peters Square tram stop. It's a traditional victorian ale house, no chrome or similar rubbish in sight and it's got a good selection of ales including Fosters, Carling, Greene King IPA (Southern, but I'm told it's good), Staropramen, Abbots Ale, Speckled Hen and 4 guest ales

The pub also does a good selection of home made grub including pies, roast dinners, sandwiches and will on Sunday be offering an all day breakfast as a football special.

Reason I know you'll get a warm welcome is that my boyfriend is the landlord, and although a Spurs fan from North Wales (??, I keep reminding him of that glorious day in Cardiff in 2002) he realises that Rovers fans can drink all Londoners under the table. I will of course be having a few beers in the pub before making the short trip to scum palace. There may be some Chelsea fans in there too but it's a pub which has never had problems with rival supporters.

More info on the pub, including a map and directions can be found at www.thelass.co.uk

Let's hope it's a great day for Rovers, and enjoy your day wherever you get your ale

Sounds great! I think I'll have to pop over :) Am I right in thinking we'll be able to get a train to OT from Oxford road station?

I seem to get lost whenever I go to Manchester, so I hope there will be a few Rovers fans leading the way to the ground! :)

Hi LeChuck, the pub prides itself on welcoming all football fans to watch their team without hassle, abuse or trouble. Often they have rival fans sat next to each other indulging in a bit of friendly banter.

Anyone out of line is quickly thrown out. They've got a big screen and 3 plasma screens all showing the game. They get a lot of neutrals watching games there so think you'll get a good atmosphere during the match itself.

Please wear your Rovers shirt with pride, there's no silly football shirt policy at this pub!!

Great, that sounds excellent.

I'm thinking it should be a great atmosphere in the pubs as all the locals should be on our side, I can't see many neutrals wanting Chelsea to win.

Sounds great! I think I'll have to pop over :) Am I right in thinking we'll be able to get a train to OT from Oxford road station?

I seem to get lost whenever I go to Manchester, so I hope there will be a few Rovers fans leading the way to the ground! :)

You can either get the train from oxford road (dunno the times sorry), or if you walk 5 minutes to the top of oxford road you'll get to the St Peters Square tram stop.

I'm not sure about trains from Oxford Road to OT, but you can definitely get an altrincham bound tram from the city centre to Old Trafford tram stop which is about tens mins walk from the ground. Trams are every 12 mins on a Sunday and I expect they will put some extra or double ones on. If tram stops are busy best bet is to get on one heading to Piccadilly then you'll be first on one back out to OT. If fans plan to use trams for more than one return journey then best to buy a metromax ticket for £3 ish

If there's a few of you going to the game then a black cab should only be a couple of quid each from City Centre. Just check before you get in as a few cab drivers will be on the make come Sunday!

For any Rovers fans wanting directions to the pub:

From St Peters Square:

Walk past Pancake restaurant onto Oxford Road (you'll see McDonalds on the right ahead), just keep straight ahead through two lots of lights and then turn left after HSBC bank, pub is on left hand side of the road.

From Piccadilly:

Head to the Fairfield Street exit of the station, turn right and follow the road as it becomes Whitworth Street. Stay on left hand side of road and take left turn after Royal Bank of Scotland, pub is on first right after traffic lights.

From Victoria:

Best to get tram to St Peters square as bit of a trek!

From Deansgate station:

I would stay on train to Oxford Road if your train stops there (most do) and then literally you turn right onto Oxford Road and pub is first left after HSBC.

From Deansgate station turn right out of station, go past locks bars, cross straight ahead at lights, walk to end of road and you'll see Oxford Road station on your right and then just follow previous directions

Hope that helps!!

I'm proud to say I spent a sizable chunk of the early 90s in the lass (most of my mates went to UMIST). Great little place, great choice of beers, no-agro, non too expensive. Tony 'Bloody' Wilson of Factory Records fame (or for those that missed the whole Madchester thing, he of Granada Reports) used to be in there a lot.

It's a bit of a trek out of the centre though. Myself, I expect to be down Deansgate as normal for footy trips to Manchester.

I was offered tickets for the Semi-Final game at £35 each. Now this price is as expected for myself and the Mrs, but wait a minute they want me to pay £35 each for my two kids as well?

Well sadly I can't justify £140 for tickets, as I dont live up North so I gotta travel. When I added the total expected cost it was in the region of at least £250 -- and I wouldn't even have had a sniff of beer in a pub.

What a bloody rip off!! Why did the FA set a limit on the number of concession tickets available??

If the tickets are for kids then they should be sold at a reasonable price not FULL PRICE!!

Couldn't Rovers have stepped in and offered to let ALL the kids go half the main priice??

After all the kids are our future supporters aren't they??

Rang "Glenn" in the Customer Relations Unit at the FA this morning and asked the following questions....

"Your spokeman says that the ticket prices are reasonable, can you explain how £220 for a family of four is defined as reasonable?"

There is a designated family area for concession tickets, this area is very popular and quickly sells out - concession tickets are available at half price in this area.

"If it is so popular with fans why is there a restriction of 10,000 tickets for the two clubs combined?"

Because theat is deemed as an appropriate allocation, feedback from families suggests that they prefer to sit in a seperate area - as do the more "vocal supporters"

"If that is the case why are sales in the family area not restricted to orders including concession tickets"

We cannot dictate clubs selling policy

"In that case why can the tickets at £25 in North Stand Tier 3 not be released for sale to Blackburn Rovers supporters?"

I dont know - I can ask someone in our ticketing team to call you back.

"That would be wonderful. Thanks Glenn"

I wonder.....

Archived