BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Effective Parenting

I am going to lay my cards on the table here and ask for help.

I have a four month old who is teething, but I am not exactly the worlds most patient dad. His crying just seems to grate me after a while and I begin to get worked up, which works him up and leaves us both red in the face and in tears.

I was thinking as there are quite a few parents here, and parents to be, it might be nice to have a place to share some tips and advice - right now I need it!

Just had a horrific time tonight getting him to sleep and I had to walk away and promise myself from now on to be more patient. When I went back he started again and it took all I had to stay calm and eventually it worked and he started to fall asleep in my arms when feeding. I just kept thinking of him a little older holding my hand as we walk to our seats at Ewood...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to lay my cards on the table here and ask for help.

I have a four month old who is teething, but I am not exactly the worlds most patient dad. His crying just seems to grate me after a while and I begin to get worked up, which works him up and leaves us both red in the face and in tears.

I was thinking as there are quite a few parents here, and parents to be, it might be nice to have a place to share some tips and advice - right now I need it!

Just had a horrific time tonight getting him to sleep and I had to walk away and promise myself from now on to be more patient. When I went back he started again and it took all I had to stay calm and eventually it worked and he started to fall asleep in my arms when feeding. I just kept thinking of him a little older holding my hand as we walk to our seats at Ewood...

Have you tried the little plastic thing that you put in frezeer for a while, it gets nice and cold for the theeth. Worked wonders for our kids.

One thing to try and do is to let him get to sleep on his own rather than relying on a bottle feed or rocking him to sleep. Try lying him on his side in the cot and gently patting his back whilst making a "ssshushing" sound and saying re-assuring things. This really did work for our little girl from about 2 months old.

It was in a book called "The Baby Whisperer." A lot of it is gibberish, but it does have some good advice. Try getting hold of a copy if you can.

Things will be tough when teething, try some calgel or something like that on a teething ring for him.

Good luck!

some tips (mine are 19 and 14)

take a deep breath and stop for amoment before doing silly things like shouting

try a nice little conconction called PHENERGAN, it literally knocks the chiuldren out for a good 6 hours and takes the pain away, its totally safe and a god send

an old wives trick for teething, dip the dodo in watered brandy - leaving just a minute trace ! It also works wonders but in this day and age a last resort !!!

good luck and just say NO - a tip for the future !!

In my experience, stuwilky juniors are 5 and 3, patience wears thin very very quickly. And those who know me know that Im not the most patient at the best of times.

Re teething, bonjela worked wonders with one of mine, but didnt touch the other. The ONLY thing that worked with number 2 was to sit and rub his gums with my little finger.

To get ours to sleep we used the hoover and/or the wifes hairdryer, literally lying them in bed and putting the hairdryer on cool on the floor next to the cot (apparently simulates the noise of being in the womb). That worked with both of them!

Yes, there are often times when I feel like throwing my little bundle of joy out the window.. usually at about 3-4 am after a 3rd bad night in a row and I have to go to work the next morning.

If you ever feel you are about to lose it, just but the little one in their cot (where they will be safe) and leave the room for 10 minutes until you get it together again. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture and it can push you close to the edge of emotional stability.

Our little one is able to get himself to sleep very easily (once we broke the dummy habit) but he still doesn't sleep through every night.

At the moment, he is teething again and is waking up in fits and starts between 2 and 4 am. I start with Bonjela (mouth numbing gel), and if that doesn't work I'll move onto Calpol (baby Panadol).

Cold teething rings are also good (as mentioned above).

You'll have to learn controlled crying at some point so that they aren't reliant on a feed/dummy/rocking to get to sleep.

That's half the battle.. the rest is getting them to sleep through.

Poor little soul (and baby too :o )!

Some babies are difficult teethers, you just have to keep trying until you find something that works.

Try to keep calm and keep to a routine and he will settle eventually. Try and make sure too that you and Mrs Wolverine get time out, it makes a world of difference.

Your ploy of picturing the two of you off to Ewood is a good one, and think of the other joys ahead. First bike, first computer, first car.......... :ph34r:

Been there.

Get yourself a big cushion and punch the hell out of it for 10 -15 minutes while shouting "I hate you, you screaming little brat and I wish you had never been born, you screaming little turd.. I wish you had never been born.

Get it out of your system on the cushion. When your arms are aching and you are feeling like a complete bustard you'll gladly spend hours looking after the little Wolverine.

Whatever you do, don't lose your temper with him. He's got no control over what he does. You do, so take your frutsration out on the cushion, & not on your son.

I hope this helps, I know that parental advice flows from all kinds of places and it all seems like sactimonious ######, but this is my bit of help.

All the best

Colin

Put the pillow over your head and let your missus deal with it. :tu:

Bonjela, Panadol in 50 mls of bottle, Cold teething rings and Phenergun, tried them all and they all work

As far as the frustration goes, you need to be the adult in this, they cannot help it, only you have the self control out of the two of you.

This is only temporary, this is only temporary, this is only temporary, this is only temporary

Mine is going through it right now, he also get extremely high fevers, diahorrea, throws up ect when another tooth is about to pop through.

Good luck

Get a new Au Pair. That would be my advice.

a 21 yr old Sweedish girl would do.

I'd go along with most on here, calpol seemed to work wonders with mine. May be worth going to the docs to see if you can get a prescription for some, will be a lot cheaper.

If you feel yourself about to loose control, walk out of the room, and take 5 mins to compose yourself.

Get yourself a big cushion and punch the hell out of it for 10 -15 minutes while shouting "I hate you, you screaming little brat and I wish you had never been born Gordon, you screaming little turd.. I wish you had never been born Thenodrog.

Bit harsh :unsure:

Get yourself a big cushion and punch the hell out of it for 10 -15 minutes while shouting "I hate you, you screaming little brat and I wish you had never been born Gordon, you screaming little turd.. I wish you had never been born Thenodrog.

Bit harsh :unsure:

edited - Ozzie you daft bugger :rover:

Thanks for the help - me and the missus went out last night and we feel a lot better for it. Off to pick him up soon.

Keeping calm is helping - he was acting up yesterday but i didn't let it get to me.

It is definately teething, anyway. Calgel on his teething ring and a dose of Calpol is working wonders! :tu:

Thanks for the help - me and the missus went out last night and we feel a lot better for it.

Keeping calm is helping - he was acting up yesterday but i didn't let it get to me.

Is there nothing that this place cannot offer advice on?

Good luck with the parenting. Before you know it little Wolverine will be crawling around then you'll have a whole new set of problems. Although only 3ft tall yer average rug-rat has expandable arms and an unerring skill to find a chair. Be very afraid.

It never ever ends.

Cheered you up a bit?

Teething Granules are an effective herbal alternative to Calpol. My little lad is going through the teething thing right now and my secretary recommended these; work a treat.

Boots stock them as would most major chemists I would imagine.

Just hold that thought of taking him to Ewood :rover:

Another parenting technique of yours?

Ignore the oaf, took me a while but it's easy really Eddie. Keep up the good work !

Just hold that thought of taking him to Ewood :rover:

Took mine for the first time at 2yrs 3months ; the love of Rovers must be ingrained from an early age !

Archived