BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Maceo Rigters

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article knocking around with an interview of the Dutch U21 boss i think, mainly about his training methods, but with a bit about Rigters (If i find it again i'll pop back with the link).

It basically said that he was using Rigters as a player to keep a high line and push the defenders back, and he worked perfectly as what i would call a holding forward - Designed for having a small, speedy striker buzzing around him and feeding off the scraps.

Maybe i've been too quick to decide what sort of player he actually is - I always saw him as a quick, supposedly dangerous player around the edge of the box, and just figured he wasn't very good at it. If he's got the capability to play a (don't laugh) Heskey type game, but with a little more pace to stretch the back line, then would i be wrong in saying the thinking behind his signature was spot on? That he'd actually be a perfect fit for a partner for Derbyshire if both of them "mature" at the same time?

Aha, found it.

Foppe da haan talks about the Dutch U21 team

I personally think that Maceo should be given a chance to properly impress upfront for rovers, he was never really given his chance to shine under Hughes and if he can find that form that he had for the Under 21 champs that year then I can see him being a revelation for us and to help take the pressure off roque, why send millions when sometimes its already in the squad???

I personally think that Maceo should be given a chance to properly impress upfront for rovers, he was never really given his chance to shine under Hughes and if he can find that form that he had for the Under 21 champs that year then I can see him being a revelation for us and to help take the pressure off roque, why send millions when sometimes its already in the squad???

Agreed. Why sell yet, we won't get much for him. Give him time.

Especially as Ince is seemingly giving the youngsters more of a chance of cracking the first team, which is good to see. Hope the lad impresses and gets his chance and grabs it with both hands.

• 11 months later...
Was I the only person (apart from Sparky) watching the Dutch team in the UEFA u-21s. Rigters was a right pain for all the oppositions and a much more complete player than Ajax's much-hyped Ryan Babel. He has enough pace which combined with his strength and ball control and excellent mobility and awareness always posed a threat when he was on the ball. Was consistently in the games and worked back when posession was lost. He picked out some good passes too. Second best player for the Dutch after Royston Drenthe in my opinion.

Maceo certainly looked the real deal as a forward at the u-21 level irrespective of what Breda was doing with him in the Dutch League. Reminiscent of Bert perhaps who turned out not to be a winger either?

I think this is an excellent signing and I will repeat my hunch that Jason Roberts will be leaving. Rovers will have four frontline forwards comprising McCarthy, Bellamy, Rigters and Derbyshire- quite an enticing prospect.

This post gives me a good chuckle!

To be fair, not a huge investment, and the type we should be making, just a shame this particular one didn't work out.

Just another in a long line of one-tournament wonders.

To be fair Rigters has the physical attributes to be a top player but unfortunately footballers in the top leagues need to be mentally strong as well in order to continue to push themselves to get to the next level. He earnt his move to a good club in a top league but he showed no signs of having the desire to want to fight for a place in the first team. Most of the time that's the difference between a good player and an average player.

This post gives me a good chuckle!

To be fair, not a huge investment, and the type we should be making, just a shame this particular one didn't work out.

Just another in a long line of one-tournament wonders.

Haha, thanks for digging that out Chuck :lol:

Archived