BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Maceo Rigters

Let's hope this Dutch lad isn't too exhausted when he sets foot on the sacred Ewood turf.....

He's played 62 games in 2 years, Bentley played 11 shy of that last season(wikipedia stats). Although him and Derbs have had hardly any break before starting training yesterday.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You pronounce Maceo as meesjow

As you english can't pronounce the G as well as we can ;) I think it's going to be something like Riktahs haha

Us English can occasionally struggle with Dutch, I was advised to pronounce the G the same as ch in Loch.

Never mind, if he's any good he'll get a nickname and if he isn't he'll head back to Holland. :lol:

- there has been no reported interest (according to the newspapers)

Perhaps not, but our own sources say Rovers have been tracking him for some time, I have no doubt in my mind the others were also. Do these "big" clubs really throw money at players they have only seen play a handful of games. I trust our sparky and his team to have done their homework on this lad and his potential within our squad and suitability to the way Sparky wants to play..

I think this is an excellent signing and I will repeat my hunch that Jason Roberts will be leaving. Rovers will have four frontline forwards comprising McCarthy, Bellamy, Rigters and Derbyshire- quite an enticing prospect.

So did we sign bellamy again? :blink:

• 5 months later...
Never heard of him before, and I have not seen him play. By the sound of it we have bought a player on the basis of a few goals in the U21-championship. Not expecting much to be honest, glad we did not pay more than we did...

Not to sound harsh but i doubt that hughes would move in purely on seeing him in that competition unless he had good reports back prior to that. He doesn't seem the type of manager to take a gamble on a player he has only seen over a short period of time (2 or 3 weeks).

Rigters will be an investment but hopefully he will settle in well for the coming season, though not many players do for there first season in the premiership.

Not like me to blow my own horn, but sounds like I was pretty much spot on here... <_<

Ye i agree. You cant judge him on yesterday. Give him a chance.

He's not (yet) good enough and I'm not judging him on yesterday. I'm judging him on what I've seen in most other games he's played any part in. He may be good enough eventually although he's not a kid any more but he's certainly nowhere near prem standard at the moment and that would be the same if he was playing in a team on top form or a team playing the kind of rubbish we served up yesterday.

I remember when we played United in the Carling Cup semi final two years back and Evra made his debut at left back. He was shocking and was subbed at half time. Now he is one of the best left backs in the league, maybe the world.

Too early to judge him, I agree, but by 23 years old, he really should be ready to make an impact at this stage.

I just can't see how Rigters is going to get much of a chance to be honest. We are looking for new strikers, Derbyshire (who actually has quitea decent goals to minutes ratio) can't get a look in, two European Cup winners up front... He is out unless he somehow gets to make an impact and grabs the opportunity. Not to be.

I could see him loaned or sold in this window.

He is terrible, He is terrible here, He did'nt score goals in holland and was'nt even a striker there! All in all bar 2 weeks during a 2 bit U21 tournement where he amassed a staggering 4 goals he has and will never by the looks of it will be a goalscorer!!But he cost peanuts and we could all name at least 5 worse strikers that have cost us multiple millions. 1 for the reserve team but certainly not the future! And definitly not a signing that should be held against the manager for the money it was'nt a gamble more of a freeroll,

• 6 months later...

Yeah hopefully he will make the step up this season and maybe make some sort of breakthrough into the team.

He has been injured most of pre-season so his chances have been limited. Maybe a loan spell to a new premier league new boy team would benefit him?

Archived