BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Maceo Rigters

Seriously though, why do people always seem to use this kind of faulty logic when assessing a player?

Because a lot of people want the sexy big name signing, bragging rights perhaps. Of course I do too but I like unearthing gems at our club too. Some good bragging rights to be had when our 2.5 Mil signing is the 2nd highest scorer in the prem and the likes of a 30m Shevchenko bags only a couple, something very satisfying about signing players on the cheap and having them work out well for the team. It shows that the ones in charge really know their footy.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if he's so good, why hasn't he been picked up by anyone yet? He's 23 and if he would be any good, I'm sure some bigger team than NAC (no offense) would've picked him up..

Are Tromso a European superpower?

Because a lot of people want the sexy big name signing, bragging rights perhaps. Of course I do too but I like unearthing gems at our club too. Some good bragging rights to be had when our 2.5 Mil signing is the 2nd highest scorer in the prem and the likes of a 30m Shevchenko bags only a couple, something very satisfying about signing players on the cheap and having them work out well for the team. It shows that the ones in charge really know their footy.

Agreed. We are the anti-Spurs. Long may it continue.

I wondered where this kid would turn up- he made a bad choice!

Another Ajax escapee who shone at the under-21s. However, I fancy he might be a bit lightweight for getting past most Prem defenders. He only came into the game against England u-21s when they were throwing everything at us in the last 10. Until then Baines and Hoyte had coped without too much trouble.

although I know nothing of rigters i'm quite excited by this one. If you think about it, signing a Dutch U-21 striker for £350,000 is like signing a Lita, Nugent or Derb’s for the same price.

what a steel!

although I know nothing of rigters i'm quite excited by this one. If you think about it, signing a Dutch U-21 striker for £350,000 is like signing a Lita, Nugent or Derb’s for the same price.

what a steel!

The only difference is that those players proved themselfs in English football, Rigters only played for a mid table team in the Netherlands!

The way i see it is rigters didnt come here to be staight in the 1st team, we signed him as a replacement for jeffers , and he is younger most probably better and we got him for half the price were selling jeffers for. can only be good business.

From Skysports

Maceo Rigters has spoken of his intention to succeed in English football, after signing for Blackburn on Monday.

The 23-year-old penned a four-year-deal at Ewood Park, and says that despite interest from other clubs, it was always his intention to sign for the Premier League outfit.

"I was ready for the next step in my career," Rigters told BN De Stem, following his departure from NAC Breda.

"Blackburn handed me this chance and gave me the best feeling.

"Here, I want to show what I can. I will do everything to succeed in England."

EDIT: SS, please don't cut and paste the full articles and please provide a proper link.

Thanks.

Are Tromso a European superpower?

Certainly not. While Gamst was tracked (according to the newspapers) by ManU, Tottenham, Newcastle and us for months, perhaps even years - there has been no reported interest (according to the newspapers) in Rigters prior to the U21 champs. If Rigters would've been left out of the U21 squad (which he almost was), would he have been approached by the likes of us, Celtic and Newcastle or the likes of Go Ahead Eagles and Zwolle? So the point I was trying to make, did we sign him because we've scouted him as an excellent player (which I'm sure if we would've caught, someone else would've caught too) or based on the U21 goals gifted by Babel and Drenthe? Obviously this is now just speculation as he did get to the U21 champs, scored the goals and was signed by us, but based on the comments about him by the Eredivisie followers here and elsewhere I highly doubt that anyone saw any Premiership potential in him prior to the U21 champs - I'm sure someone would've signed him before the champs in that case.

But obviously worth the gamble of his fee and I have to trust Hughes to bring out the best of him - whatever that is :)

Certainly not. While Gamst was tracked (according to the newspapers) by ManU, Tottenham, Newcastle and us for months, perhaps even years - there has been no reported interest (according to the newspapers) in Rigters prior to the U21 champs. If Rigters would've been left out of the U21 squad (which he almost was), would he have been approached by the likes of us, Celtic and Newcastle or the likes of Go Ahead Eagles and Zwolle? So the point I was trying to make, did we sign him because we've scouted him as an excellent player (which I'm sure if we would've caught, someone else would've caught too) or based on the U21 goals gifted by Babel and Drenthe? Obviously this is now just speculation as he did get to the U21 champs, scored the goals and was signed by us, but based on the comments about him by the Eredivisie followers here and elsewhere I highly doubt that anyone saw any Premiership potential in him prior to the U21 champs - I'm sure someone would've signed him before the champs in that case.

But obviously worth the gamble of his fee and I have to trust Hughes to bring out the best of him - whatever that is :)

You are absolutely right, this was the point I was trying to make! Don't expect to much from Rigters, see him as a good prospect for the coming years!

The only difference is that those players proved themselfs in English football, Rigters only played for a mid table team in the Netherlands!

Lita and Derbyshire are, but Nugent has never even played in the premiership!

This is a no-lose situation, we have signed him for peanuts and his wages will not be anywhere near the amount that a Nonda would command. He will not be 1st choice but a prospect for the future who will make the odd appearance . Personally I think that we will add another striker to our ranks as I believe Jeffers will leave, nonda will not be coming back and I can see either Benni or Roberts heading elsewhere

Nice to know that the Euro Under 21's championship is now viewed by posters as worthy of respect - when Bentley withdrew it was a joke competition unworthy of proper professionals breaking sweat .

Let's hope this Dutch lad isn't too exhausted when he sets foot on the sacred Ewood turf.....

Nice to know that the Euro Under 21's championship is now viewed by posters as worthy of respect - when Bentley withdrew it was a joke competition unworthy of proper professionals breaking sweat .

Let's hope this Dutch lad isn't too exhausted when he sets foot on the sacred Ewood turf.....

blue phil, its Ewood pitch, the inbreds play on turf :lol::lol::lol:

Hadn't Mark Hughes been looking at him for a while? That's the impression I got from JW's comments today. He's obviously one they've had their eyes on but might not have moved for but for his U21 goals, which alerted other teams to his potential.

Hadn't Mark Hughes been looking at him for a while? That's the impression I got from JW's comments today. He's obviously one they've had their eyes on but might not have moved for but for his U21 goals, which alerted other teams to his potential.

Archived