BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs

Eddie

Why doesnt the media find Everton as interesting as Spurs? Or Villa for that matter ?

Everton at least, have performed as well as Spurs over the last few years; maybe its because there are many Spurs fans who are also journalists?

Blackburn and Everton both have a better record against the Big 4 than Spurs have, in fact if I recall correctly, Spurs have only won a grand total of 1 game or perhaps 2, against the Big 4 the last 5 seasons!

The basic fact of the matter is Spurs have the cash. Everton do not. Cash got them Ramos, Woodgate, Hutton and Gilberto when thins were going poorly. They can go out and do it again in the summer.

Villa, Everton and Portsmouth have all been lashing out the cash but just don't seem to have the same bottomless pit of money. Thats the essential difference.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but I'd certainly swap their squad for ours in a heartbeat,

I wouldn't, though i would take this £40 million that Ramos is getting in the summer ;) Hughes would do a far better job with the cash than Ramos and his bosses Levy and Commoli, who are renowned for buying players the manager doesnt want.

I hate Spurs and nothing will change that.

spurs have some very decent players...if you look past their first 11 i would say there second 11 is about as strong the everton's, man citys, portsmouths, and even blackburns second 11...they have good depth in their squad..and players like taino, huddlestone, chimbonda-who might not be classed at first choice for spurs could do a job for blackburn..

next season i really think spurs will make a push for top 4..i know some said it at the start of this season, but with a new manager they look much better...

*Well, I think we ought to be pretty scared of Spurs. People are saying **they've got a poor record against the big four but now Ramos is in charge that will change. Look at his record,*** they've got possibly one of the best 7 managers in European League football and money to spend.

The media bias is a pain though...

* I don`t. Over-rated hype. What happened to the "we`ll knock Arsenal out of the champions league spots" before the season started? In true Spurs/Newcastle fashion it`ll all end in tear & another manager getting a massive pay-off to scarper.

**Only time will tell. Ramos hasn`t proved anything yet. Mark Hughes has a far superior record against the big 4.

*** I don`t even think they`ve got one of the top 7 managers in the Prem....yet. I`d put Ferguson, Wenger, Hughes, O`Neill, Benitez, Moyes, Redknap all ahead of him at the moment.

Before they sold Defoe and Chelsea bought Anelka, I would go as far as to say that Spurs had the strongest attack in the Premier League. However, far too much money was invested in Darren Bent who, while a very good player, is not in the same class as Keane or Berbatov and thus wouldn't be a regular starter, when they could have massively reinforced the midfield and defence for the same money. I actually believe that this cost Jol his job and Spurs a place in the top four this season, because Liverpool are hugely underachieving. I also think the board should have bitten the bullet and sold Bent on over Defoe.

Ramos is a superb manager and Spurs will no doubt plug the gaps in the current team this summer. As much as it pains me to say it, I believe they will back in fifth spot come the end of next season, maybe even fourth if Liverpool do not improve.

I actually believe that this cost Jol his job and Spurs a place in the top four this season

I don't think it was Jol who made the decision to buy Bent though, it was Damien Comolli (brought in to replace Arnesen who did the same job). Jol was basically a coach and Comolli bought players seen as 'investments', which is why they spent big on players 23 and under during the summer. I'm sure I read somewhere that Jol said part of the reason he struggled this year was because Spurs ignored his plea to sign a left sided midfielder.

It seems Ramos is being given more freedom with transfers because Woodgate and Gilberto aren't being bought with view to making a profit in the future, which was their past aim the transfer market. Bringing in Gunter (and possibly Hutton) suggests this is still on the agenda though, I'm sure Comolli will have had a big say in those two. There were rumours before the window opened that the Spurs board would block Ramos' moves for some of his old Sevilla players because they were over 28, I'm not sure how true that is though.

but I'd certainly swap their squad for ours in a heartbeat

What? You'd want a bunch of billy big time London boys who go to nightclubs in Essex in place of what we've got now????

No thank you. Most of them would need ski gear to be able to train every day at Brockhall, never mind gloves and tights when they play at Ewood.

Inconsequential premiership club based 200 miles away gets 19 page thread on our site; club in 4th place 25 miles away gets no thread at all - discuss.

Annoying though it is, the simple fact is that they are more newsworthy. While they sign Hutton and Woodgate, we give a trial to Fortune. So it's no suprise that for every Nicko we have (that'll be just one), they will have 20 journos making a living out of reporting their gossip.

I just enjoy the fact we regularly best them on the pitch; something that was unimaginable until the Jack Walker revolution.

I just enjoy the fact we regularly best them on the pitch; something that was unimaginable until the Jack Walker revolution.

Hallelujah. You are finally giving credit to the people who currently run the club so well, and have done for the last 7++ years. Some of your previous posts made me think you felt the opposite.

* I don`t. Over-rated hype. What happened to the "we`ll knock Arsenal out of the champions league spots" before the season started? In true Spurs/Newcastle fashion it`ll all end in tear & another manager getting a massive pay-off to scarper.

**Only time will tell. Ramos hasn`t proved anything yet. Mark Hughes has a far superior record against the big 4.

*** I don`t even think they`ve got one of the top 7 managers in the Prem....yet. I`d put Ferguson, Wenger, Hughes, O`Neill, Benitez, Moyes, Redknap all ahead of him at the moment.

Ramos has proved quite alot I think. Look at how many medals he's won already. I'm not posting to have a dig at Hughes but he hasn't won anything yet despite being a good manager.

I'd only put Wenger and Fergie and possibly Benitez ahead of Ramos in that list. Are you seriously saying you would rather have Redknapp in charge ahead of Ramos?

I agree with you bish.

It doesn't do any good for the Rovers but the only question over Ramos is whether there is a non-transferability between Spain and England that might effect Ramos the way something has gone wrong for Rafa. Ramos hasn't been afraid to switch his players around but unlike Rafa, doesn't seem to use a random number generator to do it.

His single minded chase for Hutton and Woodgate and success in getting both of them against the odds would suggest he might well use the rumoured £40m war-chest this summer rather well. The only chink of light in the gloom is that the list of targets are all Spanish midfielders (freeing Huddlestone?) but that might well be journalistic lack of imagination as opposed to his real shopping list.

Having won the League Cup so quickly, I guess Ramos has the real power to tell Comoli to do what he wants- a luxury Jol never had. However, if Comoli is in reality still running the show, the comedy signings will resume.

It seems Ramos is being given more freedom with transfers...Bringing in Gunter (and possibly Hutton) suggests this is still on the agenda though, I'm sure Comolli will have had a big say in those two.

Well, Tottenham supplied this story quickly to back up my post: Poyet: Kameni and Jarque are targets.

"Kameni and Jarque are very interesting players and every player that is interesting is welcome at a club like Tottenham," he told RAC1's ‘Primer toc’ (First Touch) programme.

"Both are on a long list of players that the sporting director has and that the club is looking at to strengthen the squad."

I'm surprised Ramos has taken the job given that he seemingly doesn't have much control over who they will sign. He seems a very strong and focused person, I'm not sure he'll react well to having players brought in that he didn't choose.

Are you seriously saying you would rather have Redknapp in charge ahead of Ramos?

Ok, i`ll give you the Redknapp point (he`s just a droopy-looking southern media darling) but,

....if it was the Ewood job we were talking about, i`d definitley have Hughes, Fergusson, Wenger, O`Neill & possibly Benitez ahead of Ramos. That`s just my point of view, but i bet many Rovers fans would agree with me (possibly with the exception of Benitez)

Ramos needs to prove himself over a few seasons in the prem. He needs to get Spurs into the champions league (regularly) & win more than the one trophy with Spurs before he can be considered a 'great' manager. He looks a good one, but far far far from a great one.....yet.

Time will tell.

I agree with you...but what do you think of Hughes then? A lot of people think he is a great manager and he has no silverware at all to back it up. I'm not saying Hughes isn't a good manager, just seeing if you apply the same logic to him.

I agree with you...but what do you think of Hughes then? A lot of people think he is a great manager and he has no silverware at all to back it up. I'm not saying Hughes isn't a good manager, just seeing if you apply the same logic to him.

I think Hughes is doing a fantastic job at an unfashionable club with very little money to spend.

I read somewhere he`s only spent £11-12 million since he`s been at the club. Alot of other clubs in the prem have spent that (& more) on a single player. The media have heaped praise on Allardice (whilst at Bolton) for working with a tight budget. Hughes has done just as good....if not better! :tu:

He needs to get Spurs into the champions league (regularly) & win more than the one trophy with Spurs before he can be considered a 'great' manager. He looks a good one, but far far far from a great one.....yet.

Why are you completely discounting his achievements at Sevilla?

He's won the UEFA Cup twice in a row, as well as the Copa Del Rey, with a relatively unfashionable club...he also took them to the Champion's League in what is probably a strong league than ours.

I'm amazed you can say he's "far far far" from a great manager when his achievements dwarf that of some of the managers you are mentioning, including Hughes.

So, people don't like the "big 4" but when clubs try to break that, they don't like them either?

You have to ask why most of us dont have a problem with Villa, Everton or Portsmouth breaking into the Big 4. Why is it that we hate the idea of Spurs, and to a lesser extent, West Ham, breaking into the Big 4?

Archived