BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs

Eddie

Having just watched a bit of the Spurs-Sunderland game it got me thinking about whether or not Spurs were really the serious challengers to the big four that everyone likes to make them out to be. Without doubt they have four very good strikers and it is a strike-force that I'm sure all but Manchester United are somewhat jealous of (possibly Arsenal and Liverpool not as much), but apart from that they don't have true quality in many areas. I know that they have three players missing at the back, but even those coming back in aren't exactly amazing (although Bale is certainly talented, I'm not sure if he will be able to regularly perform at this level at his age).

We all know that the media tends to favour the "big" clubs, particularly from London, but who for you is the most overrated side in English football (or wherever you are I suppose). Spurs certainly take it for me.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have an excellent batch of strikers but the rest of their team is mediocre.

They have no width and their defence is very shaky looking - their first choice pairing of Dawson and King are both over-rated. Jermaine Jenas brings nothing to the team - he has no discernible attributes whatsoever; he's just spent the first half being bullied by Etuhu.

They have an excellent batch of strikers but the rest of their team is mediocre.

They have no width and their defence is very shaky looking - their first choice pairing of Dawson and King are both over-rated. Jermaine Jenas brings nothing to the team - he has no discernible attributes whatsoever; he's just spent the first half being bullied by Etuhu.

I despise Spurs. Fans with major ideas above their station and total media darlings. Yes, for me the most over rated, over hyped club in the country.

Martin Jol seems like a decent chap though.

Okay - who were smirking complacently about Michael Chopra's transfer fee?

A debut doesn't make a season (as we know from Brett Emerton amongst others) but mark my words, Chopra is gonna have a prolific season. The media fawn over Andy Johnson and his pace and eye for goal. For Johnson, see Chopra.

BTW Spurs are a different/inferior side without Aaron Lennon.

Ledley King is the new Jonathan Woodgate

who were smirking complacently about Michael Chopra's transfer fee?

I was and i still am.

A fantastically taken goal but i'm still not convinced he has what it takes at this level.

Going to look back at this after he has hit 20 and fired sunderland into europe and smile!

Spurs are vastly overrated as is their manager, he has spent over 100 million on what ? Nearly 17 million on Bent, nearly 9 on kaboul. Are these players better than Benni 2.5 mill or Samba 500k the answer in no. They have no width and a workmanlike midfield, even A Lennon is vastly overrated in my mind he has pace but very little else, Bentley is twice the footballer he is.

Also along with Newcastle & Big club fans they are the most arrogant and delusional fans going, cant stand spurs fans

You have to be fair here. Spurs have finished 5th in the Premiership last too seasons so obviously they are doing something right. They have quality players back to front but lack a decent left winger and Lennon is a bit of a liability as he has absolutely no defensive presence. I think they will challange arsenal and liverpool for third and fourth but probably just miss out again.

We all know that the media tends to favour the "big" clubs, particularly from London, but who for you is the most overrated side in English football (or wherever you are I suppose). Spurs certainly take it for me.

Spurs without a doubt. The hype surrounding them is ridiculous and while they have some utterly superb players (Berbatov, Keane, King, Lennon) the team's overall quality is patchy at best. I was thrilled to see Sunderland out-play and eventually bury them with the last kick of the game.

Spurs are an odd side - they've a load of talent but they just don't seem to gell as a team all too well.

Probably because they've hardly any width and no proper left sided midfield players. Take the 16.5 m had been spent on Bent. Had it been used for a couple of wide players and defensive cover they'd be in a far stronger position. They also seem to excel at taking good players from smaller clubs and not getting the best out of them Malbranque, Murphy etc.

Having said that it's early days, and they do have a heck of a lot of talent in the squad, especially up front, so by default they'll do alright. With a different manager and a bit of tweaking the team to get a better balance/shape they would have a strong chance of breaking into the front team. Fortunately Jol seems to be oblivious to the uneveness of his heavily talented squad so the top 4 will probably be out of reach for another season. With a manager like Hughes (though can't see that happening) in charge I'd fancy them for top 4 though.

Having just watched a bit of the Spurs-Sunderland game it got me thinking about whether or not Spurs were really the serious challengers to the big four that everyone likes to make them out to be. Without doubt they have four very good strikers and it is a strike-force that I'm sure all but Manchester United are somewhat jealous of (possibly Arsenal and Liverpool not as much), but apart from that they don't have true quality in many areas. I know that they have three players missing at the back, but even those coming back in aren't exactly amazing (although Bale is certainly talented, I'm not sure if he will be able to regularly perform at this level at his age).

Totally agree.

Why wasn't this topic started before the opening day? :rolleyes:

Interesting how virtually everyone on here has them 4th or 5th in the prediction topic as well...

because they will finish there

alot of reactions on this topic are knee-jerk at best. Think about it Boro outplayed us much of today, yet we would not say we are going to struggle, because you know why?

ITS ONE GAME!

oh and based on today, Chopra for golden boot, and man city for champions league....

because they will finish there

alot of reactions on this topic are knee-jerk at best. Think about it Boro outplayed us much of today, yet we would not say we are going to struggle, because you know why?

ITS ONE GAME!

oh and based on today, Chopra for golden boot, and man city for champions league....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jermaine Jenas brings nothing to the team - he has no discernible attributes whatsoever; he's just spent the first half being bullied by Etuhu.

Yes but simply pulling on the White shirt with the Cock on the chest will get him picked for England ahead of our David.

The are very much a Media hyped team, the press seems to love them I don't know if there is a "connect" between the press and the well let's just say supposed religious background of spurs. I get sick of hearing about them. They get damn near as much coverage here as the big four but they just aren't that good.

Archived