BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs

Eddie

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it was Jol who made the decision to buy Bent though, it was Damien Comolli (brought in to replace Arnesen who did the same job). Jol was basically a coach and Comolli bought players seen as 'investments', which is why they spent big on players 23 and under during the summer. I'm sure I read somewhere that Jol said part of the reason he struggled this year was because Spurs ignored his plea to sign a left sided midfielder.

Ah good point there, I think you're right, but as you go on to say, that decision really did affect the clubs performance and Jol's position at the club.

Fans become angry when their club's players and managers leave to rither further their careers or to earn more money, but when a club sacks a manager who has been very successful (maybe not in terms of trophies, but certainly in progressing from a mediocre mid-table team to a side pushing for the Champions League) after limiting his freedom in the transfer market and refusing his requests and after finding a higher profile manager, can these guys be blamed for being as ruthless when another club comes in? I think clubs need to start showing some loyalty of their own before players and managers follow suit.

Why are you completely discounting his achievements at Sevilla?

He's won the UEFA Cup twice in a row, as well as the Copa Del Rey, with a relatively unfashionable club...he also took them to the Champion's League in what is probably a strong league than ours.

I'm amazed you can say he's "far far far" from a great manager when his achievements dwarf that of some of the managers you are mentioning, including Hughes.

Agreed, Ramos's achievements with Sevilla were incredible. You've forgotten to mention the club's league performance as well, LeChuck. There's only been a matter of a few points between themselves and the likes of Barca and Real. They have been genuine title contenders for three seasons now. If you look at the squad, it is nowhere near as talented either.

As for most hated teams, mine were, perhaps surprisingly, Chelsea (under Mourinho), Spurs and Birmingham (under Bruce). But since Bruce and Mourinho have moved on, I don't have quite the same hatred for them anymore. I love Arsenal when they play such great football, but hate them more than any other team in the world when I hear their hypocrisy and see them conning the ref game after game after game. I suppose I'll always hate Bolton and Man UTD and, of course, Burnley. But the latter we just don't play regularly enough.

I guess for me it goes, Spurs, Bolton, Man UTD, in the Premier league.

Come on. Man United?!

My father is a Man United fan, so i've never really hated them. I've been to some of their matches with my dad when i was younger, and he sometimes comes with me to watch the Rovers.

There is a lot of banter when our sides meet and i absolutely love it when we beat them. But i don't hate them no. Vinjay will probably be calling me a traitor lol.

Arsenal i hate because of Wenger and his BS about us. Spurs i just hate everything about them including their fans.

• 4 weeks later...

Losing 4-1 at home to Kevin Keegan's Newcastle can't have pleased the Spurs supporters at White Hart Lane today.

Perhaps Spurs aren't as good as some of their fans would like to think. They were fortunate to come up against a Chelsea side who didn't perform at all in the Carling Cup final at Wembley. As far as the Premiership is concerned, they have got worse this season. It looks set to be mid-table mediocrity to follow on from two previous 5th place finishes in the Premiership.

Considering that in the summer Jose Mourinho had ridiculously tipped Spurs to be fighting for the title this season (see the link HERE) , perhaps Spurs fans should be coming to the conclusion that overblown expectations and the general massive hype from their friends in the media doesn't help their cause.

When you consider that Spurs haven't won the League for 47 years and in the last 23 years they have only won 3 Cup competitions - the 1991 FA Cup and the 1999 and 2008 League Cups, while the last time they finished in the top 4 was in 1990, perhaps Spurs fans should be dampening down expectations rather than contributing to their overblown hype.

I found it hilarious reading comments from Ramos about wanting to bring Ronaldinho to the club. Why do they think so much of themselves?!

Spurs had possibly the strongest attack in the Premiership before Defoe moved to Portsmouth and they still have huge quality up front, but they are severely lacking in midfield and, until their crocked defence recover, they will always ship goals.

I found it hilarious reading comments from Ramos about wanting to bring Ronaldinho to the club. Why do they think so much of themselves?!

Spurs had possibly the strongest attack in the Premiership before Defoe moved to Portsmouth and they still have huge quality up front, but they are severely lacking in midfield and, until their crocked defence recover, they will always ship goals.

Ramos revealing that he wants to replace half his squad this summer is hardly going to be a motivational factor.

Ramos revealing that he wants to replace half his squad this summer is hardly going to be a motivational factor.

Don't know Gordon, the same sort of thing seemed to work pretty well for us against Wigan......................pity the effect didn't last longer than a few days though.

:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Good old Spurs. They did indeed taste silverware last year. However, despite the warnings of them breaking into the top 4, they couldn't even make the top half. This year they are struggling to hang on the Keane and Berbatov. However I'm sure the southern bBased media darlings will be promoting them as the 5th best side in England again.

Why am I ranting about this now? Because I was watching Premiership Years the other day on Sky when Wigan had just been promoted. They had just beaten Portsmouth to go second in the table in November when the narrator warned that their next 5 games were against "the big 5.". Surely not I thought. However a quick check confirmed that Tottenham were indeed referred to as being one of 'The Big 5'. This was despite the fact that they had finished 9th the year before! This is a club who have only 3 'top 7' finishes in Permiership History.

Tottenham - don't believe the hype.

Good old Spurs. They did indeed taste silverware last year. However, despite the warnings of them breaking into the top 4, they couldn't even make the top half. This year they are struggling to hang on the Keane and Berbatov. However I'm sure the southern bBased media darlings will be promoting them as the 5th best side in England again.

Why am I ranting about this now? Because I was watching Premiership Years the other day on Sky when Wigan had just been promoted. They had just beaten Portsmouth to go second in the table in November when the narrator warned that their next 5 games were against "the big 5.". Surely not I thought. However a quick check confirmed that Tottenham were indeed referred to as being one of 'The Big 5'. This was despite the fact that they had finished 9th the year before! This is a club who have only 3 'top 7' finishes in Permiership History.

A pithy summing up Hasta.

The main reason why so many people despise Spurs encapsulated in one post.

That is one of the best posts I have read for a while.

Hasta, you are so right! Spot on post.

Have a look at the 1960 honours boards boys and girls. Would sell out 50,000 if they had a big enough ground now.

No-one doubts their glory of the past Ozzie. It's just they are an above average Premier League side who is constantly touted as being ready to break into the top 4. They had one season where they should have done it but for their dodgy bellies. Every other seasons they've been also-rans.

• 2 weeks later...

Robbie Keane gone, Berbatov likely to leave. I'd be a bit concerned if I was a Spurs fan. The best part of their team in recent years has always been their forward line. Without them two strikers they'll need two damn good replacements otherwise I can't see them getting near the top 7 again. Fingers crossed one of them won't be Santa.

Some Chas n Dave's bleating about Keane

Robbie Keane gone, Berbatov likely to leave. I'd be a bit concerned if I was a Spurs fan.

I'd be concerned as a Rovers fan. Watched the first half of Spurs friendly, and Les Ferdinand was on about Santa Cruz.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

"I'm a rich guy, I'm a big star. You are nothing on your £10 an hour job," says Ledley King.

ledley-kingmainmagi_442324a.jpg

Spurs defender Ledley King was arrested outside a nightclub in London last night on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm.

King is alleged to have said: "I'm a rich guy, I'm a big star. You are nothing on your £10 an hour job."

Charming - but perhaps rather typical of the attitude that a number of our Premiership so-called "stars" have.

Link: King arrested after assault

Despite the millions Spurs have spent, they still haven't found a way to win away from home, 4 away wins all season, you lot have won as many!

Man. City have only won TWO away games!

Until either correct that, they won't be finishing in the top 6 next season.

Archived