BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stanley In Trouble

philipl

Their Chairman has said today that Accy Stanley are in danger of going out of business as their finances are in the worst state since the club reformed.

They have gone to the bottom of the football league with a 0-2 home defeat and two sending offs as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a shame but you have to look at the area in general. Can a club sustain its self whenit is no further than 10 miles to a cheap accessable premier league club tipped to do well and likewise with our 6 fingered neighbours from yorkshire. Accrington has always been devided between Rovers and Burnley with a few die hard stanley fans I suppose the Novelty has worn off on the people of Accrington especially since the top quality premier league club is offering really competitive ticket prices and obviously better football.

I glanced at this in our local newsagent, why he stocks the Accrington Observer I'm not sure, and the front page report stated they had 110 season ticket holders. Have to admit the first thought I had was to wonder about the impact of Rovers new ST policy. The cheapest ST at Accy is £269.10 and at Rovers it's £249 - just where would you chose to watch your football?

A famous old club but it looks as though the cold wind is going to blow.............

I guess I hold this view as I'm not from the area, but I'm not too bothered. It is one less league club in the area diverting fans and £ from Blackburn. Harsh, but I only care about Rovers.

Incredibly crass.

Football NEEDS the lower league and non league clubs to sustain itself. Sadly viewpoints like yours are common in the upper echelons of football and all the available cash is thrown at those with, at those without just get ignored.

I guess I hold this view as I'm not from the area, but I'm not too bothered. It is one less league club in the area diverting fans and £ from Blackburn. Harsh, but I only care about Rovers.

ditto.

Stanley went out of the league all those years ago, because they weren`t good enough. They will end up doing it again. It`s a shame but they are not my team, so therefore i`m not too arsed about it. They are probably one league above where they would feel most comfortable.

They are probably one league above where they would feel most comfortable.

That could be said about us .

If nobody in football gives a damn about all the money going to the "big" clubs then where will it all end ? 15 or so franchised clubs in the prem , one of them being Lancashire UTD ?

I think it is worth pointing out that the North West is actually the second most densely populated area in the UK after London and, as such is capable of sustaining a wide range of sporting and commercial entities. So perhaps the solution is better marketing, or perhaps a more appropriate / practical business plan??

I'd be sad to see the footballing 'Legend' that is Accy Stanley go to the wall again and would hope that football supporters in the region would do what they can to help. Let's hope they pull through. :rover:

I'd be sad to see the footballing 'Legend' that is Accy Stanley go to the wall again

...only legendary since the Ian Rush/Milk advert. I`ve nowt against Accy, but they`re not my team so f### `em ;)

Perhaps since you are not from the area I will forgive your harsh comments. Stanley are very dear to my heart, not like Rovers but I do have a fondess for them being an Accy lad myself and having lived just a few streets away from the Crown they were my only football for a few years. Watched 'em home and away in the Lancashire combination. Was a Rovers fan at heart but had neither the money or a mother prepared to let me go all the way to Blackburn (damned near Darwen I think were her words) at 10 years old.

I hope they make it but it was always going to be a struggle once the nostalgia or novelty wore off. 30K population with Rovers and lower league football on each side the deck is stacked against them. Was at their first game after re-forming beat Formby Town 2-1. I'd gladly give up a few hundred bums in Rovers seats to see Stanley make it myself. I remember back then, in the eyes of a young star struck boy they were great. I remember a night trip to Runcorn in a FA Cup qualifier, played under lights too, lost 1-0, there was even aggro in the stands. What a night, a chance to dream for a young lad, for that one evenning it seemed like Accy were famous, if only in my mind.

Have we all forgotten those priceless football daydreams we had as kids in a bygone era, I hope not.

A year ago I would have been delighted if they had folded, but I overestimated the impact they would have on the Rovers, Stanley existing at League 2 level is fine by me.

The major problem Rovers have now is the prolifertion of United, Liverpool and Chelsea shirts across East Lancashire, Ive NEVER known it to be as bad as it is at the moment. Darwen, a Rovers hotbed, I would now say Rovers shirts are 3rd most popular at best among the young of that town, thats my worry, not Accy Stanley.

Their Chairman has said today that Accy Stanley are in danger of going out of business as their finances are in the worst state since the club reformed.

They have gone to the bottom of the football league with a 0-2 home defeat and two sending offs as well.

Maybe Accy is a realistic target for MyFootballClub! I've certainly set mine preferred choice as a potential club to buy as Accy Stanley

I may have been crass in my last post (I've been called worse), but I'm sorry I am a Rovers fan, and not a Lancashire Utd fan. It would be a shame if they went bust again, but to me it's like hearing a famous musician had died-a shame but not a personal loss.

But why is it OK to wish Burnley FC to go under but not Accrington? Both are very local rivals.

Wishing ill of Stanley is a bit like drowning a kitten metaphorically speaking.

When I was in Primary School I remember avidly following Darwen in the Lancashire Combination because I was not allowed to go to the Rovers. Used to walk down to the Anchor on my own and pay my few coppers. Eventually getting very wet and muddy brought the parental veto.

I wonder if there are 8 year olds going to watch Darwen or Accy Stanley all on their own these days?

Anyway, given the way the new season has started, it looks like all Rovers' three nearest neighbours (PNE, Notlob and Accy) could be struggling.

If Rovers keep their current pricing model, perhaps tightening the squeeze another notch by selective cuts again next season, Rovers could start seriously undermining the viability of clubs in the vicinity as they mop up supporters wanting first class football at knock down prices.

When I was in Primary School I remember avidly following Darwen in the Lancashire Combination because I was not allowed to go to the Rovers. Used to walk down to the Anchor on my own and pay my few coppers. Eventually getting very wet and muddy brought the parental veto.

I wonder if there are 8 year olds going to watch Darwen or Accy Stanley all on their own these days?

Billy No-Mates I presume?

Relegation for Bolton Wanderers would be excellent news for BRFC.

Archived