• McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz
    • Roberts
    • Reid
    • Pedersen

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about the penalty is that we allowed the ball to drop and bounce around in the area and failed to clear it properly, thus Nelsen having his hand forced with the Villa lad. A lot of our goals conceded this season have been avoidable, and I realise that's a little trite-all the goals were avoidable in theory but the defending has been a little bonkers a times this season.

Downings free kick at Boro-crap wall.

Van Persie-Freidel fumbling.

Kanu-not clearing properly.

Axe not heading at Old Trafford

All four last Wednesday!

Cannot think of any more.

My own personal opinion is that some of the players have started to believe their own publicity.

There's too many fancy flicks in the wrong areas, overplaying and risk taking in the defence. What we need to do is go back to basics and look at getting clean sheets. We've shipped 8 goals in the last three, need to get back to being hard to beat again before we can play the expansive stuff.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking Jason.

Earlier in the season there was a lot of comparison of the current bunch to the Premiership winning side and I think I pointed out at the time that the 95 side did it week in week out over several seasons and the current team had a long way to go before they could be mentioned in the same breath.

Over the last five games, even at Spurs, our performance levels have been very inconsistent and even during our better passages of play, much of our football has resembled exhibition stuff with no cutting edge whatsoever.

As you say we need to get back to basics, scoring goals at one end and not letting them in at the other. In the context of our recent performances that means concentrating defensively for the entire 90 minutes and being a lot lot more direct and clinical in the final third.

Even though imo you can count the good games MGP and Bentley have had on one hand this season I'd revert to what everyone used to regard as our best eleven when everyone was fit and playing well. i.e Emerton at right back, Savage and Dunn in the middle (at least until Reid is fit), and MGP and Bentley on either flank with two strikers up front.

The good news is we made such a fantastic start, a couple of wins and we're still right back in the mix despite our last few results.

Over the last five games, even at Spurs, our performance levels have been very inconsistent and even during our better passages of play, much of our football has resembled exhibition stuff with no cutting edge whatsoever.

As you say we need to get back to basics, scoring goals at one end and not letting them in at the other. In the context of our recent performances that means concentrating defensively for the entire 90 minutes and being a lot lot more direct and clinical in the final third.

3-0 up with 15 minutes to go football.

I think I have calmed down and I have a few questions.

Why was Benni's goal struck off and goals 3 and 4 (and our first equaliser at Fulham and Fulham's second) allowed to stand?

Why wasn't Ryan sent off for the penalty at Fulham?

Having seen the Fulham and Villa penalties awarded against us, why haven't we been awarded 30 penalties and conceded ten more ourselves this season?

How on earth does Mr Dowd pass the refereeing fitness tests (in all senses of the word)?

Yours,

confused from Malta

Dear Confused from Malta

Send your queries here. http://www.footballreferee.org/

:rover: junior was at his award evening at school,we were dropped off at ewood about 8.30pm soon as we got behind the blackburn end carew scored,lad said we might as well go home,no danger said dad we will stuff em.did not see any off the 1st 30 mins no replay off the offside goal,infact no action on the big screen at half time?

now i have to ask is sparky playing ojjer and the axe because they are unsettled, because they are not better than other players in the squad,bringing reid on was admitting defeat and contributed to the scoreline.finally nelsen needs reminding that plenty off teams have come back from 2-0 down with 30 mins to go,but not many with ten men :brfcsmilie:

I don't think that pic proves it was a penalty at all. It's a snapshot of 1/100th of a second, if you watch it Nelson grabs his shirt for all of a second before he sinks. The commentators were beggin the ref not to spoil the game then universally condemned him for being deceived and unfair with the straight red. Watch the vid of the card as well, if you could add thought bubbles it would go something like:

"hmmm maybe a penalty, not the last man though, not facing towards goal, ball too far away...wait it's Blackburn so it must be - I'll point to the spot..."

[ref blows for penalty]

"actually since it's dirty Blackburn I'll card him as well"

[ref reaches for cards, pulls out yellow]

"A yellow, hmmm, a penalty and a yellow - harsh, no wait it's violent, aggressive Blackburn...where's the red..."

[ref pulls out red]

"That's better, it's diabolical, leg-breaking, filthy Blackburn and they are nobody's so I won't get stick for this...yes red card and penalty that's fair, screw the fans who paid good money for entertainment I have a small peni$ and need to make up for it and we can't have some poxy little Lancashire club anywhere near the top 6 can we? Well that's my work done, now I can just stay in the Rovers half and won't have to run so much, now how am I going to justify this in my match report..." etc. etc.

I'm really pi$$ed that for the last 2/3 games the ref has ruined a perfectly good game of footy. It's like they don't want us to win OR be seen to be one of the most entertaining sides in the league.

I so nearly did what I've never done in 16 years of watching Rovers - LEAVE EARLY (well technically turn off the telly) and don't blame anyone at Ewood who did. If I were home I wouldn't bother going to Ewood either, regardless of cost, since the likelihood of the game being ruined by an incompetent / biased / blinkered / whatever you want to call it ref is so high and the end result blood boiling, thrombo inducing anger (it's taken me 2 days to calm down FFS!)

I'll stop now as I can feel that vein in my head swelling...

That's pretty much what I've been thinking Jason. ----- Earlier in the season there was a lot of comparison of the current bunch to the Premiership winning side and I think I pointed out at the time that the 95 side did it week in week out over several seasons and the current team had a long way to go before they could be mentioned in the same breath.

I said in 93 Dalglish was taking us into a European abyss with his team selections and tactics. He may well have built a team to win a Premiership when Wimbledon were a good side but it was a glass ceiling. Sadly Hughes had an aberration in Volos and resorted to Dalglish's duff tactics of bang it out wide to two wingers (hogging the touchlines) attempting and failing to bomb on, on a ploughed field, instead of what was required, packing the midfield with short fancy passes.

Our current fancy football may not be paying dividends at the moment (it will and everyone will be waxing lyrical) but at least Hughes understands what it takes to be a great team in a League that is far superior to what it was in 95. Both Villa and Rovers played great football, Villa defended brilliantly when they were conceding possession in every area of the pitch to the mighty blues, don't take that way from them.

Wingers tend to end up becoming part of a long ball passing game... great when it comes off.. unsuitable against superior classy opposition who will take you apart in the spaces left.

Two thought provoking posts.

I tend to agree with Graham- Wenger keeps it narrowish and its not doing Arsenal much harm.

M o'N spent big on defenders this summer. The West Brom guy has proved a liability but Zat Knight would probably make a Premiership XI ahead of Samba and that is an astonishing thing to write!

For betting folks, I would suggest Villa to beat the Arse this week-end must be good value.

lest anyone is forgetting the interesting fact is including the Villa game from the other night and the next 2 league home games - the opposition all beat us last season at Ewood with controversial decisions going against us in each game.

Its happened already for one - what do you reckon the odds in the next 2?

Newcastle where in a bad run when we played them last year but this still did us and the West Ham revolution seemed to begin with their aided win at Ewood.

I just saw the penalty, harsh to say the least, I have seen them given before, usually against the smaller clubs. But I think Ryan held on just a bit too long. The sending off was ludicrous. Can't understand why with us it is to the letter of the law if it is not in our favour yet for a lot of other teams it seems to be discretionary. Two rather harsh pens in two weeks. The one against Villa was a more legit pen than the one against Fulham.

Also saw one of Villa's other goals, don't know which it was but offside by a country mile and for quite a while. I have to admit my interest in the footy is waning and this pish poor reffing and double standard officiating is the primary reason. To continue to think there is nothing sinister going on really smacks of niavity, it almost questions my intelligence. I think I can safely say this, I would probably not pay my hard earned cash to go to these games week in and week out, not when we have such "sub-standard", for want of a more inflammatory phrase, officiating. I mean, if I pay that money I want a fair contest.

Nelsen, has had a problem with holding players from day one. Reason, although he has good positioning sense he lacks pace.
Having that really serious injuy hasn't done him any favours vis-a-vis pace either. Still a good player to have when you're away and maybe under siege but not a certainty for me in home games when you get stretched more and sometimes have to sprint 30 yds against quick forwards.

I just saw the penalty, harsh to say the least, I have seen them given before, usually against the smaller clubs. But I think Ryan held on just a bit too long. The sending off was ludicrous. Can't understand why with us it is to the letter of the law if it is not in our favour yet for a lot of other teams it seems to be discretionary. Two rather harsh pens in two weeks. The one against Villa was a more legit pen than the one against Fulham.

Also saw one of Villa's other goals, don't know which it was but offside by a country mile and for quite a while. I have to admit my interest in the footy is waning and this pish poor reffing and double standard officiating is the primary reason. To continue to think there is nothing sinister going on really smacks of niavity, it almost questions my intelligence. I think I can safely say this, I would probably not pay my hard earned cash to go to these games week in and week out, not when we have such "sub-standard", for want of a more inflammatory phrase, officiating. I mean, if I pay that money I want a fair contest.

Be careful USABlue - Marshall Theno will be on your case.

As for the penalty, as what has been said - always seems to be the letter of the law against and not for us.

Another thing, think everybody has forgotten but to me it looked like they should have had another penalty a few minutes latter when (Young?) was pushed in the box - I know he made a meal of it but look more justified than the first one, yet the ref considered it a dive -yet did nothing about it.

Archived