BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup Magic

Will be watching the Cup final tomorrow- first I will have seen live since the Everton win.

We no longer have any direct interest in Pompey winning. Although it will be helpful if their old boys get shattered by a long UEFA campaign, being in Europe will also help Harry's recruitment and it looks like he will have some spending money this summer.

Got a sneaky feeling that Cardiff could nick it. Pompey been out of sorts for a long time now and Cardiff have one or two players who could raise to the occasion and play the game of their lives.

Support will be pretty even except for that bell!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just heard an interview with David James on 5Live and I've been reminded why I detest the guy's attitude and whole-heartedly hope that he finishes on the losing side. He became prickly as soon as some of his high profile howlers were mentioned and basically refused to answer to questions about how he reflected on them.

A self-aggrandising, arrogant man. (Anyone else see Rio Ferdinand prank on the cultural aesthete?).

Come on Encks and the Taffy Army.

I see Rochdale and Darlington have put a spanner in the works of Skys Cup final coverage today by going to pens :lol:

Well done ex-Rover Keith Hill and Rochdale!

Would have been interesting if they'd kept banging perfect penalties in and it got to 12-12 as the teams came out at Wembley!

Gotta support Encks.

Even if I found his alacrity in wasting his career on our bench appalling.

I've always wondered what "alacrity" meant. "Quick and cheerful enthusiasm" apparently. Do we have any quotes to say he was happy to sit on the bench? If he really was, then why did he go to Cardiff?

What was he meant to do, barricade himself into a goal at Ewood, with a ready supply of guns, ammo, pot noodles and Match magazine, and tell Hughesy he'd never take him alive?

I've always wondered what "alacrity" meant. "Quick and cheerful enthusiasm" apparently. Do we have any quotes to say he was happy to sit on the bench? If he really was, then why did he go to Cardiff?

What was he meant to do, barricade himself into a goal at Ewood, with a ready supply of guns, ammo, pot noodles and Match magazine, and tell Hughesy he'd never take him alive?

Bryan, Enckelman's an international goalie of some repute. Infamous for clangers but also known for being capable of being a outstanding shotstopper. He was going through the supposed best years of a goalie's career, sitting on our bench or the stands, allowing his career to drift away. (ALthough, still getting selected for Finland's squads).

With his reputation, he could easily have found himself another decent club to play first team football. You can only conclude that he didn't mind sitting on our bench watching the infallible Friedel. Whilst that is his personal choice, I find it appalling that a immensely talented individual would be prepared to 'waste' his abilities when others can only dream of being in his position.

Finally, he did get his finger out and move to Cardiff (mmmm...was it anything to do with the fact that his contract expires soon). And I'm absolutely convinced, now that he has played first team football with the Bluebirds, he can do nothing but regret having taken the lucrative sabbatical at Rovers.

If you're Aaron Mokoena, who has inveigled his way above his station, like a piece of flint onto a crown of jewels (I just invented that!), I can fully understand if he sits on his hands, picking up an excellent pay packet and enjoying the limelight. However, if you're as talented as Peter Enckelman, sitting on a bench during your best years is a crime, in my book anyway.

Cardiff are unlucky here so far as they've been the better side. Enckelman looks shakey but he often has when I've watched him both prior and post coming to Ewood. Everythings still possible in this second half.

They could have turned Katherine Jenkins microphone on

Was it off. I didn't notice. My mind must have been elsewhere. :)

What a terrible, terrible match that was.

It wasn't that bad for a cup final. I can tell you worse recent finals.

2007 Chelsea Man U

2005 Arsenal Man U

2004 Man U Milwall

2003 Arsenal Southampton

2000 Chelsea Villa

Average final at best....very little skill on display but expected really.I fear we are never going to see a classic final anymore as there is too much at stake.

I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL SEE ROVERS WIN THE FA CUP AT WEMBLEY AND DO JUSTICE TO THIS COMPETITION BEFORE MY TIME IS UP :rover:

What about two years ago...West Ham V Liverpool?

I thought it was a decent game. Cardiff were every bit as good as Pompey. No moments of genius perhpas but plenty of attacking football.

The way everybody is talking you would think every final pre 2000 was a four goal plus thriller...

Cardiff were slightly the better team id say in the 2nd half.

The match itself was boring! Glad Pompey have got into Europe - all our competitors will have extra games to play next year and hopefully that will work in our advantage

Archived