BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Fat Sam

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd say there was a chance but don't get so pessimitic guys. id say it was more likely he wouldnt leave. i mean look at fat sam, similar position to hughes in a way, overachieving with a club beyond its means, not a great deal of expectation, supportive board, fans and players who really liked him. he goes to newcastle foolishly thinking he can do the business with them, underachieves but not by much and suddenly the fans are on his back and he's out of a job with a big black mark on his CV. we all know hughes wants the old trafford job, but if he fails at newcastle (which isnt that unlikely even though hes an excellent manager), then that may damage his chances irrepairably.

Guest Kamy100

I hope that he doesn't leave but I got a gut feeling that if Newcastle come calling Hughes may be tempted.

He may decide that he has taken Rovers as far as he can and the time is right to move on. Newcastle would give him the financial resources to build a side. Of course he could also decide that Newcastle's "hire em and fire em" mentality is not for him.

Surely Hughes has more sense to go to a joke club that treats its managers in such a manner .

One would hope so Phil....

I think the job at St James' Park is a poisoned chalice, with Newcastle not having won a trophy since 1969 and having a reputation for getting rid of managers all too quickly.

I think Hughes would be very ill-advised to leave for the turmoil and turbulence at St James' Park. If he had a few bad results and the Geordie fans got on his back, his managerial career could be in tatters - with the Old Trafford job a distant dream. It would be far better for his long-term mangerial career to stay put at Ewood Park and try to sort out some of the defensive blunders that we've seen in recent matches.

At Rovers, very few fans want to see the back of Hughes, despite some of the recent dreadful performances. If Hughes went to St James' Park, a 4-1 home defeat like the one against Coventry could get him the sack.

Many Newcastle fans were unhappy not only with their poor results, but also with Big Sam's 'route one' style of play. The Geordies demand winning results and style, which isn't always that easy to achieve. It would be a tough task for Hughes to fulfill the massive expectations of the Geordie fans.

In the 21 years that Sir Alex Ferguson has been at Old Trafford, Newcastle United have had no less than ten managers during those 21 years - soon to become eleven managers. (Let's not forget that between 1986 and 1989, Ferguson won bugger all at United - with fans regularly chanting for him to go, especially after a disastrous 5-1 defeat against Man City in 1989.),

Fergie recently told the media: "I'd be astounded if Newcastle got rid of Sam Allardyce" - but he shouldn't be astounded if he actually looks at the history of Newcastle United FC and sees how quickly they traditionally get rid of their managers.

Since 1986, the managers at St James' Park have been: Willie McFaul, Jim Smith, Ossie Ardiles, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder and Sam Allardyce.

Considering that for a few years before winning his first trophy at Old Trafford - the 1990 FA Cup - Ferguson was in a similar mediocre mid-table position to the one that Newcastle now find themselves in, Fergie must be one of the luckiest managers alive to have survived that initial period. There's no way that a new manager would be given that length of time at a big club now if they had similar poor results to the ones Fergie initially had until 1990.

To give you an indication of just what a shambolically-run football club Newcastle is, just days ago the Newcastle chairman Chris Mort said of the speculation concerning Sam's exit: "There is just no truth to it".

Link: "Newcastle chairman denies Allardyce exit"

Chris Mort said of the rumours of Big Sam leaving: "All this makes me laugh and I find this speculation tedious. There's just no truth to it." Earlier, when asked if owner Mike Ashley was still supportive of Allardyce, Mort said: "Absolutely. Sam is a very experienced manager who can turn things round."

Well what a lying, two-faced, untrustworthy deceitful bunch of shysters this current lot in charge of Newcastle are. One might have hoped when the repugnant Freddy Shepherd left the club last year, that perhaps things might be different under a new ownership. But no, it's a case of different owner - same shambles.

Many decent people in the world of football rejoiced when Shepherd left the club - the man who disgraced Newcastle United by frequenting brothels and mocking the fans for being ripped off in the club shop. Sir Bobby Robson said in his autobiography that he was deliberately denied vital information by Shepherd about the players' contracts. Bobby said that Shepherd was only interested in the first team at St James' Park and he wasn't interested in other important areas like the state of the training ground, youth development and talent scouts.

Consequently, Newcastle had a short-term approach. But Sir Bobby did deliver Champions League football on Tyneside. Between 2002 to 2004, Newcastle finished 4th 3rd and 5th in the Premiership. Ridiculously, after just a few games of the 2004/05 season, Robson was sacked and replaced by Graeme Souness, who lavished £50m on disasters like Boumsong and Albert Luque. Sacking Robson, who finished in the top 5 in three successive seasons, and replacing him with Souness was an act of lunacy from Shepherd.

Sir Bobby said that his sacking in 2004 broke a specific promise that Shepherd had made to him. Freddy promised him that he would get a dignified farewell at the end of the 2004/05 season. But Shepherd is a two-faced man without any principles who couldn't be trusted. Chris Mort and Mike Ashley seem to be heading in the same direction - telling the fans that "there is no truth" that Sam would be leaving, just days before getting rid of him.

Newcastle United FC are a shambles and a disgrace. If I was Mark Hughes I wouldn't want to go within a hundred miles of St James' Park, especially with clowns like Ashley and Mort in charge. Joey Barton and Mike Ashley seem well-suited to each other at Newcastle - a club which is characterised by chaos, disharmony and turmoil.

I have nothing but contempt for the way that Newcastle have been run in recent years and I would certainly lose a lot of respect for Mark Hughes if he was foolish enough to want to go there.

Hopefully the punters have this one right, serious amounts of money gone on Redknapp, £250k since 6pm on Betfair.

Total matched on this event: £306,934

Betting summary - Volume: £255,389

He's now 1/2 and Bet365 and Skybet have suspended betting.

Not the one I would of expected if true.

If Newcastle approach him, he'll go. Of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

To be honest I think he's coming to the end of his shelf life here anyway, just my opinion.

I'm not sure he would want to end his managerial career just yet. :rover:

The decision to sack BFS seems rather hasty to the neutral but you have to bear in mind that Freddy Shepherd appointed him, so maybe BFS wouldn't have been Ashley's choice in the first place and presumably when Ashley arrived in the hot seat he didn't like what he saw from BFS and his team of twenty odd "consultants".

You would have thought that Ashley wouldn't have acted without having sounded someone out to take over more or less immediately. Hope the early weight of money for 'Arry is correct and he hasn't chosen Mark Hughes as there's little to keep Sparky at Ewood given the lack of support he's getting from the Trustees. And looking at worst case scenario, if Hughes did go you could see him coming straight back in for the likes of Samba, Bentley and RSC.

Should we read anything into the statement by Newcastle that it is a "British" manager rather than saying "English" as in 'Arry. Still it's a bit of an American thing we are all just Brits to them. He is American isn't he? The Owner?

Should we read anything into the statement by Newcastle that it is a "British" manager rather than saying "English" as in 'Arry. Still it's a bit of an American thing we are all just Brits to them. He is American isn't he? The Owner?

No.

By using the term 'British', this, to me means Scottish or Welsh. Had he meant English, I'm sure he would have just said English.

I'm affraid I fear the worst.

If Newcastle approach him, he'll go. Of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

To be honest I think he's coming to the end of his shelf life here anyway, just my opinion.

How on earth can you be that sure?

Hughes strikes me as an intelligent man who is waiting for an offer from a stable club, with a board that stick by their manager. He'd be a fool to go to Newcastle.

Archived