BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Fat Sam

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So taking a team from the Championship - and establishing them as a top 8 Premiership side with very little money is not as good as we'd believe?

After getting promoted at the same time as us they've:

01/02 - 16th

02/03 - 17th

03/04 - 8th

04/05 - 6th

05/06 - 8th

06/07 - 7th

We've seen what a good job he did with them - after seeing their start to this season.

I prefer Hughes - but if we did lose him - I'd seriously consider Allardyce.

Yes, he did a good job but my point is, if you believe the media, you would think they are a much more successful club than us - yet they only finished above Rovers in three of his seasons in charge. Maybe I'm blinded by my hatred for Bolton (I hate them just as much as I hate Burnley). I just don't like Allardyce's arrogance or his style of play. I don't think many on the Blackburn End would enjoy watching it after long either.

:rover: mike newell

glenn hoddle

simon grayson

alan shearer

colin hendry

mark bowen :brfcsmilie:

I'm just glad you're not choosing our next boss then!

I'd only take Newell from that list - and he'd need to keep his mouth shut!

Shearer would be off to Newcastle before long.

Hoddle - you're joking!

Grayson - not a bad call - but not what we should be aiming for

Hendry - he's been an appauling manager so far - as much as I love him

Bowen - Sammy Lee, Ray Harford etc etc - great coaches dont always make great managers.

I expect Moyles to be in the frame too..If not Hughes then I would expect a club like Everton,Portsmouth or any other Premiership club who loses their manager to Newcastle) to be after Hughes as a replacement..

I can't see Moyles leaving Radio 1!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, you meant Moyes, I could see him going then us losing Hughes to Everton. Redknapp will stay put I think.

Mike Newell would be an interesting choice.

Maybe with Big Col as No. 2?

I remember talking to Colin about 7 years ago and he said then he would love to be back at Ewood one day as manager (mind you, he hadn't started his management 'career', at that stage!).

Mike Newell hasn't been offered so much as a spit since blowing the whistle on dodgy dealings. Football looking after its own?

:rover: i think there are two sets of thoughts for rovers fans,those who think sparky would never leave except for manu and those off us who realise money and ambition talks.if nicko is to be believed on his thread,redknapp is intrested,we have nothing to worry about if harry turns it down,bon voyage :brfcsmilie:

Newell is too much of a loose cannon.We'd get as much attention every time he opens his mouth as for our results. I also think he isn't that good a manager. If Hughes were to go I'd like any of these to take over(in no order):

1. Martin Jol (although we'd have to buy 178 midfielders)

2. BFS (used to having no money).

3. Tony Mobrary

4. Gary Johnson

5. John Collins

6. Paul Ince

Options 3-6 would be rather leftfield choices, but they may grow into the job and do well, as Hughes has done. Jol may not be the same manager without the chance to lob £m about like he did at Spuds though.

Newell is too much of a loose cannon.We'd get as much attention every time he opens his mouth as for our results. I also think he isn't that good a manager. If Hughes were to go I'd like any of these to take over(in no order):

3. Tony Mobrary

4. Gary Johnson

5. John Collins

6. Paul Ince

Options 3-6 would be rather leftfield choices, but they may grow into the job and do well, as Hughes has done. Jol may not be the same manager without the chance to lob £m about like he did at Spuds though.

I'd tear my left leg off and eat it if Paul "The Guvnor" Ince came to Ewood Park. I'd still come though, just have to hop to my seat.

Most of all, I agree that Hughes will never get the United job while he is at Rovers and needs to win trophies elsewhere in order to be in contention.

If you talk to Utd fans, virtually everyone at my work, they will tell you Hughes has no chance of the Utd job believeing the club will have to bring a world-reknowned manager to ensure a successful transition at OT. Fergie's replacement might not last very long if he doesn't get it right first time. Generally Utd fans see Hughes as too big a gamble fro the club to take.

However, I stand by my belief that he is too sensible to go to a club like Newcastle, who have a record of doing anything but standing by their manager.
I'd agree with that thought, I think it's very conforting for Rovers fans..........unfortunately I'm not sure it's relevant to the situation. As has been said elsewhere if Hughes wants to further his career New castle is one of the few jobs available to him.

Whether he is their first choice or not, I feel that Jol will become the new Newcastle manager. I just hope that the poor guy gets more than eight months to turn things around.

I wonder if we may see a bit of a merry-go-round with Moyes, Hughes and Jol. If the worst happens and Hughes goes to Newcastle I'd like to see Jol at Ewood. If Moyes went to St James's Park, I could see Hughes at Goodison and Jol following in at Ewood?

Please God if Hughes leaves we don't want Allardyce at Ewood - though I'd still turn up on Saturdays!!

3. Tony Mobrary

4. Gary Johnson

5. John Collins

6. Paul Ince

I like this list. I'd take anyone from that - but my preference would be:

1) BFS

2) Mowbray

3) Johnson

4) Jol

5) Ince

6) Collins

I'm sure I remember reading that when BFS left Bolton it was because they wouldn't let him have extra funds, and it's sounding like the same at Newcastle, so I doubt that he'd go to Rovers with our transfer budget. Besides, Hughes hasn't left yet , or made some kind of statement (as far as I know) and he's only recently signed a new contract so nowt to worry . . . for the time being at least.

Moyes has been ruled out by Kenwright on SSN...no word as yet from Radio 1 as to Chris's availability! :lol:

I guess he is free everyday after 10. So he could make training.

I'm not convinced that Jol would be much good without £40 million to spend. Nice bloke though. Like a Scandinavian Andy Gray me thinks.

Other than Fat Sam, I don't see the above listed managers filling me with hope!

:rover: mike newell

glenn hoddle

simon grayson

alan shearer

colin hendry

mark bowen :brfcsmilie:

That is one of the most uninspiring list of prospective managers I have ever seen.

If Hughes were to leave, I would definitely approach Jol.

Otherwise, I wonder whether the likes of Bowen and Niswieski (sp) are ready to manage a Premier League club, maybe in that order of hierarchy?

EDIT: Anybody know how Henning Berg is doing these days?

I guess he is free everyday after 10. So he could make training.

I'm not convinced that Jol would be much good without £40 million to spend. Nice bloke though. Like a Scandinavian Andy Gray me thinks.

Other than Fat Sam, I don't see the above listed managers filling me with hope!

Jol is Dutch

And yes if hughes leaves sam is the only candadite along with coppel that might come & is good enough for rovers

Desperately want Hughes to stay but if he did go I think Billy Castell has had a very good shout with Gary Johnson. Being a West Country lad I'd love to see him get a big job that he thoroughly deserves, and I think that he'd do a good job with us.

Never managed big name players, on big salaries with big egos - a recipe for disaster if you ask me

Archived