BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Fat Sam

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always credited Mark Hughes with an amount of intelligence. For him to leave for Newcastle it will need him to want to go there. Anyone with amount of intelligence can see it's a poisoned chalice job. I expect Jol will get the gig. If not, and Hughes is blinded by the wooing, then I'd have Jol at Ewood.

How about this scenario ?

Hughes goes to NUFC

BFS takes over at Ewood Park !!!

I wouldn't be overly concerned at BFS taking charge of us, at least we'd give him time, be better than McLoser.

The only reason Hughes will go is the transfer kitty they'll try and dangle under his nose. He knows what he has got to spend at Ewood Park which isn't much, Ashley will just give him a huge war chest offer.

If Hughes is offered the NUFC job I think he will accept. In his mind will be:

- the current battering that his reputation is suffering at the hands of our poor performances

- when will our poor spell end? to what extent have things unravelled behind the scenes at BRFC?

- is there a chance that we can start challenging for top 6 again without major overhaul of the team?

- is there any chance of finance to overhaul the team?

- chance to build a side with some real fiance this time?

- chance of a mega-bucks contract?

- no lose situation if he is sacked within a year - evreyone will blame the fickle Geordie fans and board!

- legend status if he helps the Geordies to some silverware?

- when is there going to be another "top" challenge? strike whilst the iron is hot!

Sadly, I can see NO positive reasons why an ambitious young manager like MH would rather stay at BRFC! The only reason why he may turn the Geordies down is because they are so fickle ...... but that is not really saying anything positive about BRFC.

If he does go, then I would suggest that we could do much worse than ask BFS to return to the north west - get back to the bully boy dirty norvern barstewards!

If Hughes is offered the NUFC job I think he will accept. In his mind will be:

- the current battering that his reputation is suffering at the hands of our poor performances

- when will our poor spell end? to what extent have things unravelled behind the scenes at BRFC?

- is there a chance that we can start challenging for top 6 again without major overhaul of the team?

- is there any chance of finance to overhaul the team?

- chance to build a side with some real fiance this time?

- chance of a mega-bucks contract?

- no lose situation if he is sacked within a year - evreyone will blame the fickle Geordie fans and board!

- legend status if he helps the Geordies to some silverware?

- when is there going to be another "top" challenge? strike whilst the iron is hot!

Sadly, I can see NO positive reasons why an ambitious young manager like MH would rather stay at BRFC! The only reason why he may turn the Geordies down is because they are so fickle ...... but that is not really saying anything positive about BRFC.

If he does go, then I would suggest that we could do much worse than ask BFS to return to the north west - get back to the bully boy dirty norvern barstewards!

Great post, backed up by similar thoughts of a few other board members (this board, not that of BRFC!). I agree entirely.

This myth about Hughes going to Old Trafford in the not too distant future is like propaganda - the more you say it, the more you start to believe it. It's like a done deal. As and when Fergy eventually leaves, I think United will aim a lot higher than Sparky and that's no disrespect to our man.

I have a gut feeling that we have been taken as far as we can go and signs seem to suggest that there is little or no cash for team strengthening other than sale of existing players. Money also talks (wage wise), Hughes would be rewarded handsomely at Newcastle and I don't think he would need any prompting to accept the challenge that undoubtedly lies ahead up there. :brfc:

I hate to be a doom monger but.... Hughes has built a team that is very loyal to him. A lot of players stated they were signing to work with Hughes not becuase of the club (in fact without Hughes they probably wouldn't have come!).

If Hughes leaves it will all fall apart ala Bolton in my opinion, with the points we have in the bag now might be the safest and best time for Mark Hughes to leave... not that I would want him too but the day will eventually come - is now a better time than most?

They can have Hughes and we'll have Allardyce.

Fair swap I'd say.

I would rather eat my own lips than have that idiot as a manager.

Do we really want someone so egotistical and self centred? What has ahe ever done - kept BW in the prem? Only by playing hideous football. I couldnt help but notice how similar to Bolton Newcastle had become in recent weeks - no coincidence.

he is a one trick poney - and its a s##t trick that everyone has sussed out.

if Hughes wants to go then so be it, but pay heed to previous Rovers managers who have had their career ruined by leaving Ewood - King Kenny and Sourness.

Martin Jol for me - all day every day.

One Love - BRFC

Unless something dramatic happens Hughes will leave Ewood in the next couple of seasons, we all know that. The plus points of him leaving now are that:

1. He has just signed a new contract so we will be due a decent amount of compensation

2. We are in a slump at the moment so any incoming manager does not have to worry about losing momentum

3. In reality we have enough points now for us not to worry about relegation should the new manager not have a great start.

4. Whatever peoples opinions may be of him, Allardyce is a competent manager used to keeping to a tight budget. On top of this he is available and has something to prove.

I personally think if Newcastle make an approach and Hughes is interested we would be stupid not to take this opportunity whilst the above points apply.

Blackburn: Friedel, Emerton, Amoruso, Short, Gresko, De Pedro, Ferguson, Matteo, Gray, Yorke, Stead

Remember that team? That was Souness last game in charge before he went to Newcastle.

Now if we play Zurab in midfield against Bolton, and one on the right and 3 on the left - I'll be gettin a terrible feeling of Deja Vu

I'd rather saw my leg off than watch Rovers under Allardyce. The only reason he signed Okocha was that he had a long throw! Allardyce has been found out. Yes, he did a great job at Bolton but not as good a job as the media would have you believe. I remember listening to Five Live after they qualified for Europe last season and the interviewer was asking Phil Gartside what it felt like to qualify for Europe "yet again". I think it was only the second time they'd done so AND everyone considered them a more successful side than us when they'd only finished above us something like three times in 19 years! I categorically do not want Fat Sam as our manager.

ive just put money on hughes going newcastle and i honestly cant say i blame him if he did. look what happened with souness at rovers - he was a hero at rovers for the first 3 years and then... few dodgy performances, started falling out with players, crowd started getting on their backs and booing and it went downhill thereafter.

anyone see a few similar traits to whats going on now?

hughes probably thinking get out now while he's still highly regarded.

and as for newcastle they are a bigger/better supported club than us, but the media bandwagon that constantly gloats about their supposed fantastic support will no doubt forget that we got bigger gates than them in 91-92 when they were an average div 2 side

Allardyce has been found out. Yes, he did a great job at Bolton but not as good a job as the media would have you believe.

So taking a team from the Championship - and establishing them as a top 8 Premiership side with very little money is not as good as we'd believe?

After getting promoted at the same time as us they've:

01/02 - 16th

02/03 - 17th

03/04 - 8th

04/05 - 6th

05/06 - 8th

06/07 - 7th

We've seen what a good job he did with them - after seeing their start to this season.

I prefer Hughes - but if we did lose him - I'd seriously consider Allardyce.

No statement from Rovers (not that I'd expect one, at this early stage).

The Newcastle Chronicle (not the Journal) is the paper to watch as this is the unofficial mouthpiece of the club.

Newcastle Chronicle.

Look Hughes in the frame

"All United would hint at today was that they are looking for an experienced manager who is with a club, and this rules out the likes of Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Marcello Lippi and Ottmar Hitzfeld."

:rover: if newcastle want hughes,he will go.i watched him on saturday from above in the jw,and i did not like his body language one bit.i hate newcastle with a vengance,ever since they nicked gordon lee but if hughes is to go let it be soon,time to find a new man,and him to make a few signings in what is left off the transfer window.

if bfs comes to ewood i would snap my season ticket in half :brfcsmilie:

Archived