BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Umbro Shirt Designs 2009-10

Simon Marsh, Director of Football at Umbro, came to the Fans' Forum last night to talk about the process for designing Rovers' kit.

Rather than offering fans an opinion on final choices as has been done before, Umbro prefer to take fans' views into account at the start of the process. They are currently developing the design brief by early May for the 2009-10 season and would welcome fans' views on designs. We gave them some views, which I think are fairly well supported on here, such as the popularity of the current away strip and the desire from many to have away strips in two halves like the home strip, albeit in changing colours. As well as our comments, we undertook to give him some more feedback at the next meeting on 14th April, so fire away.

Simon confirmed that the commercial reality was that both home and away strips would be replaced every year. On launch, Umbro's preference is to have the away strip launched at the last match of the season, with the home strip launched at the beginning of pre-season in early July. This won't happen this year as the launch is dependent on the signing of the new shirt sponsorship deal which is close but hasn't happened yet.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must admit I'm not happy with the shirts being changed every year. There aren't many clubs in the league who do it, even the money grabbers at Manchester United only change their shirts every 2 years.

The implication from Simon was that it was a fact of life now and that everyone is doing it, although I've no proof of that.

I will be just happy if they do keep the halved away shirt

I would be perfectly happy keeping the red and black halved away shirt permanently. It's a great kit and it would be great to have two recognised shirts rather than just one.

I would be perfectly happy keeping the red and black halved away shirt permanently. It's a great kit and it would be great to have two recognised shirts rather than just one.

Sorry, but it was specifically stated this would not happen. If they kept the same shirt only a few of us would buy another one in the Summer, compared to the number that would buy a different design. It may well return in a few seasons but we won't have it next year.

That was a view I expressed at the Forum last night, however Simon Marsh intimated that it wouldn't be possible to stick with red and black halves per se every year as to do so would be commercial suicide.

However the halved away kit received universal praise and Simon also intimated that in view of what had been said he thought everyone would be VERY happy with next season's kit which has already been designed.

I took that to mean that hopefully we might see a halved away kit of some description next year, although I may be grasping at straws there and getting the wrong end of the stick simply because I want to see a halved design so badly.

That was a view I expressed at the Forum last night, however Simon Marsh intimated that it wouldn't be possible to stick with red and black halves per se every year as to do so would be commercial suicide.

However the halved away kit received universal praise and Simon also intimated that in view of what had been said he thought everyone would be VERY happy with next season's kit which has already been designed.

I took that to mean that hopefully we might see a halved away kit of some description next year, although I may be grasping at straws there and getting the wrong end of the stick simply because I want to see a halved design so badly.

As long as it isnt half Orange (circa 97/98) & half yellow (circa 98/99) then i'll be happy.

Rather than offering fans an opinion on final choices as has been done before, Umbro prefer to take fans' views into account at the start of the process.

I hope they really mean this. This season all shirts made by Umbro are almost identical imo in regards to collars and the Umbro thingy they have by the arm pits. Understandable as they didn't have much time to come up with anything after Lonsdale pulled out of Football though. I'd like to see us look back in time when designing our new kits and make some proper collars again. Hopefully our new shirt sponsor won't be as dominant.

Hopefully our new shirt sponsor won't be as dominant.

I don't think you'll get this wish. I'm sure someone on here (CheshireBlue I think) said that the regulations for the size of the sponsor had increased

I'd like to see a return to better club badges. I have a number of older shirts dating back to the 1990's when the club badge was made from a very nice felt material. Since then we have moved to a very cheap threaded version which is just horrible. I have pics if anyone is not sure what I'm talking about, although you really have to feel the difference to understand.

I also don't think keeping the red and black halves would be suicide, just alter them slightly each season. Red and black is an obvious away kit - diametric opposites of blue and white for a start, plus we retain OUR unique vertical halved shirts and they look cool; this season is the first time I've bought home and away since 1995 (but that's cos I wanted a 'Shearer' home and 'Sutton' away shirt!)

I wonder if Umbro will be a victim of their own success next season after producing what I consider to be the best home and away strips that we have sported since I started supporting the club back in 1995.

I, for one, am considering buying both the home and away again when they go down in price and wearing them next season.

I hope they really mean this. This season all shirts made by Umbro are almost identical imo in regards to collars and the Umbro thingy they have by the arm pits. Understandable as they didn't have much time to come up with anything after Lonsdale pulled out of Football though. I'd like to see us look back in time when designing our new kits and make some proper collars again. Hopefully our new shirt sponsor won't be as dominant.

It was said that this is a deliberate policy, that all Umbro shirts have a subtle (?) "DNA" or "strand" running through them to make them recognisable as such.

Next season it will be the same again with all Umbro kits although it will be completely different to this season's "DNA"

However it was also said that at the same time they are very keen to observe respect Clubs' heritages and traditions i.e. it is set out in Sunderlands' statutes apparently that the red and white stripes have to be a certain width and a certain shade of red. Celtic has to be green and white hoops - any fancy jiggery pokery they do with the "DNA" has got to be outside and not affect things like that and in our case it was said they wouldn't even think of altering the blue and white halves.

I would love to see a black shirt with thin red stripes a la 1994!

Totally agree, I still have that shirt and it still looks good now.

I would be happy just to have the sponsor printed onto the shirt itself, like they did with the 'Time' sponsor a few years back.

So much better than a big stuck on patch.

Totally agree, I still have that shirt and it still looks good now.

I would be happy just to have the sponsor printed onto the shirt itself, like they did with the 'Time' sponsor a few years back.

So much better than a big stuck on patch.

You need to get number 9 Garlick on the back too :rolleyes:

wouldn't be possible to stick with red and black halves per se every year as to do so would be commercial suicide.

Haven't we already done this with what's happened to the clubshop?

Anyway - does nobody else think think this is just a cop-out as they will be keeping with the Blue and White halves so defeats the argument for not keeping themand just altering the design.

Anyway - does nobody else think think this is just a cop-out as they will be keeping with the Blue and White halves so defeats the argument for not keeping themand just altering the design.

There is no way they could mess around with the home kit though is there. There would be a riot if they did.

There is no way they could mess around with the home kit though is there. There would be a riot if they did.

Maybe just playing devils advocate here.... but as I wasn't there its difficult to take into context what/how things where said exactly . If its commercial suicide to keep the away as such then surely the same applies for the home strip ( even though as we all know this is just a no go about changing ) and just sounds like an 'off sort of answer in the realms of if they could they would change the home shirt also.

Archived