• Reid
    • Vogel
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Emerton
    • McCarthy

Blackburn Rovers v Tottenham Hotspur

Can I apologise firstly for the early submission of this preview, it is solely down to time constraints on my behalf.

Right then, lets take a step back in time.

For a lot of Rovers fans, the weekend of 23/24th February 2002 will live long in the memory. Its the date that 30000 fans of the Blue and White Army descended on the Welsh capital of Cardiff and turned it into an ocean of blue and white. It is also memorable for some of us in more ways, it was my birthday as was it Leftwingers. My wife was in hospital having had knee surgery and my daughter, then 8, was left with grandad as the men of the house took flight to cardiff armed with copious amounts of ale and hard saved (hidden) stashes of cash to ensure that we were fed and watered throughout our stay in the Principality.

It was also the day that I met a supporter of Tottenham, FAT STAN the market trader, a mass of a man tipping the scales at a proud approximation of some 40 stone or more, and to this day we remain good friends and regularly exchange our views on the fortunes of our two clubs. On this day, Saturday 23rd Feb, we arrived at the Riverbank Hotel (sited directly opposite the stadium) having managed to get the deal of a lifetime on a family room. It did help that we knew the proprietor and instead of a full price of £300 for 2 days we actually got the room for a paltry £75 for 3 of us b and b. I must point out that my son was paid well to ensure that he looked after his drunken dad and best mate on the Saturday and having consumed a skinful, it was my sons suggestion that we move onto Pizza Hut so that he could enjoy pizza. This is where I first encountered FAT STAN, initially it was not a very friendly introduction as we jumped a queue of around 40 Spuds fans to take up a table for 6 ! 1-0 Rovers! After a verbal volley from the loudest one (Fat Stan), we becalmed he situation and left the pizza hut asking the staff to ensure that fat Stan paid our bill ! 2-0 Rovers !

Anyhow big do's little do's we went back to the hotel and got our heads down laughing all the way to the bank after stiffing a Spuds fan with a £45 bill !

Things changed at approximately 0900hrs on Sunday 24th February. Hung over, a wet and rainy Welsh day breakfast called. Out come the Rovers shirts and its downstairs to the restaurant only to be met by the foulest bit of abuse imaginable, yes you guessed it, Fat Stan was present and correct at his table aiming verbal missiles directly towards me and my son. Not one for backing down, I filtered the abuse and returned with venom my northern pride of being a Rover at which Fat Stan took his seat next to me and offered the hand of friendship. Over sausage,bacon and eggs I made a deal with him that if Spurs were to win I would reimburse his pizza meal in full and that we could share a drink together to toast the winner of the game. Everything agreed I then joined the massed ranks of Rovers fans in and around Cardiff centre and made for the quicketst boozer to toast the hair of the dog.

So to the game. It really needs nothing more to say other than thank God for Matt Jansen, Brad Freidel and Andrew Cole. These 3 stars, ably assisted by a fantastic team effort, kept the star riddled Spurs team at bay and even survived a 10.0 dive by Ted Sheringham to take the trophy home back to North West England.

Some 30 minutes after the game had finished, my son reminded me of my appointment with Fat Stan. So off we went, drunk already on the euphoria of our win. Wondering on what his reception would be like the only thing I could shout as I reached the bar was for a pint of Stella. The Welsh bar lady looked in amazement at me and said "We dont sell Stella Dear" at which I calmy shouted, bearing in mind there were some 30 Spurs fans already sulking in the bar, that it was my fault and that Stella was only sold in EUROPE ! The ultimate icebreaker as Fat Stan got his wallet out and promptly paid for the round !

Since that date we have met each other several times and we still go on about the weekend in Cardiff.

So, moving forward onto Saturdays game. Depending on our result against Reading, this game could have a massive bearing in our goal to reach Europe. It really could be that this game is the defining point of our season.

Spurs as we have seen remain a massively inconsistent team. One week they are winning the Carling Cup by beating Chelsea 2-1 the next they lose to Birmingham 4-1. Under Juande Ramos Spurs have become a very good footballing outfit. They blew the chance of progressing in Europe by doing an Everton and losing on penalties to PSV Eindhoven and they still strive to catch up in the league to the lesser lights of teams such as our own BRFC. What is clear about the way they play football is that come next year, they WILL be a threat to the top 4 and they will have a massive amount of money to spend.

Recent results between our teams would suggest tight games but at Ewood, more often than not there is one player who tends to wind Rovers up, the diminutive Robbie Keane. Another thing about these two teams is that at times, the football has been electrifying. Our 3-2 loss a couple of years back was the game of the season, one which we didnt deserve to lose.

The game earlier this year gave Rovers a fantastic 2-1 away win courtesy of a last gasp Samba wondergoal, I would be happy to settle for a repeat.

Anyhow back to Fat Stan. He is coming North on Saturday to watch the game, you might see him, mind you he is hard to miss !

His view on Blackburn is that they are a team that plays great football, can be fair and can be viscious ! He has made it clear that even though Bentley is an ex-gooner, he is one player he would have in their starting 11 at WHL. We talked about Huddlestone, the boy wonder with weight issues. He says that he is an enigma, he can play, shoot, tackle and score, in fact he is the complete midfielder with a penchant for pies ! Another player that he fancies is MGP and his wish is to swap Robinson for Brad Freidel !

On a score prediction, he is confident that Spurs will win the game 2-0. He quite clearly fancies Berbatov and Keane to give us a stuffing, he says that Chimbonda will wear hat gloves and scarf as well as his tights for the game and has predicted that Lennon will be able to cross the ball after his amazing 50 yard runs.

I considered phoning Lawro for his early prediction just so that I could get an honest view. Most punters will probably plump for a score draw. For me, I am gonna stick my neck out and predict a Rovers 1-0 win.

For those venturing the pizza hut on Saturday afternoon, beware the fat Market Trader :rolleyes:

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice preview,1864.Enjoyed your Cup final warstory.If we beat Spurs,I just might believe we can sneak into Europe.However,since Fulham,W Ham and now today v Reading we have given away games I thought we would win.This being Rovers though,when have we EVER done anything easy?We still sit only 3 points off 6th so we still have Europe to play for.May we all see a Rovers win so we can experience that thrill of victory(however it comes).

What is the state of our season?

Assuming Pompey finish 6th AND win the cup, does that mean 7th and 8th goe into the inter joke o cup?

Or basically Pompey winning the cup and finishing anywhere in the top 8 will essentially mean europe?

There is no way that Spurs will not score, one name, Robbie Keane.

Will be another draw. 2-2 I fancy Roque to add to his tally and it's time Morten got another goal!

Not sure if Samba should play, he makes me nervous these days.

We've go to win this one, not just to keep our European hopes alive, but beating Tottenham will mean that we have done the double over them and show players like Bentley that we can compete with them and be a serious challenger for Europe. It always nice to beat a 'big' club as well. 2-1 to win for Rovers.

Thoroughly looking forward to seeing this game.

Ramos seems to be releasing the true potential of Tottenham Hotspur that many pundits predicted at the start of the season but with Europe already in the bag and the season drawing to a close will they be up for it.

This is as good a premier league fixture as there is out there during the course of a normal season, hopefully its a great time to watch potential target Huddleston along with the likes of Berbatov and Robbie Keane should be good.

Can our central midfield partnership play an important part in gaining three points? will Vogel make is debut in some capacity are the Rovers fans up for it ?

Cant wait, looking forward to a really good footballing weekend in Blackburn as the Blackburn sunday league final is on the sunday at Mill Hill St.Peters should be good whatever the outcome.

Thank you 1864 for a great preview.

There is no way that Spurs will not score, one name, Robbie Keane.

Will be another draw. 2-2 I fancy Roque to add to his tally and it's time Morten got another goal!

Not sure if Samba should play, he makes me nervous these days.

Isn't Chris out for 3 games?

Not the best result for us. Spurs will be smarting all week after that result.

Not great at all for us. Poyet apologised to their fans after the match, said it would be a long, hard week for their players. Said they expect a massive reaction next week against us.....

we will have to be on top of our game when we play spurs..

i expect a huge reaction from them...but then again i thought newcastle would bounce back from their embarrasing 5-1 defeat and win us...

should be interesting to see who starts next week..emerton could be back(and i prefer him at right back to ooijer), samba back from suspension, but zurab has done well recently..

i expect a huge reaction from them...but then again i thought newcastle would bounce back from their embarrasing 5-1 defeat and win us...

should be interesting to see who starts next week..emerton could be back(and i prefer him at right back to ooijer), samba back from suspension, but zurab has done well recently..

I don't think Samba should be brought back in for the next game, he needs to know his place isn't 100% guaranteed and that there are others who can come in. It may give him the kick up the backside he needs.

Im hoping for

Warnock, Nelsen ©, Ooijer, Emerton

With Zurab on the bench although i really like the look of Samba his performances havent been of the right standard whilst ooijer has been quality recently and brett is a great attacking wise. Shame if Zurab had to be dropped though

I don't think Samba should be brought back in for the next game, he needs to know his place isn't 100% guaranteed and that there are others who can come in. It may give him the kick up the backside he needs...........

......................To get a b***y nanny and be a hands off father.

......................To get a b***y nanny and be a hands off father.

Personally speaking I'm amazed that anybody actually needs to be told that! I thought it's an obvious and sensible move ...... and especially so if the family cannot afford a nanny. :tu:

I'm on holiday at the moment and won't be back for this, so it will be the most entertaining game of the season - bar none. Robbie Keane will score a hat-trick but end up on the losing side as Bentley, Pedersen, Roque, Derbs and Dunn give Rovers a stunning 5-3 win.

Archived