• Bentley
    • Reid
    • Vogel
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Emerton
    • McCarthy

as for spurs goal i thought if the player was behind the player who crosses the ball he is onside nowadays,saying that the offside rule is down to the officials these days.

That's right, but my point was that Berbatov was ahead of both Jenas and the Rovers defence except Friedel when the ball was crossed. Having watched it a few times It looks marginal from the main camera angle but fairly clear from the Riverside camera, which was the view the linesman had.

I also read this morning that Pedersen had flu last week and was taken off because he was feeling the strain. In that context his decent performance looks even better.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right, but my point was that Berbatov was ahead of both Jenas and the Rovers defence except Friedel when the ball was crossed. Having watched it a few times It looks marginal from the main camera angle but fairly clear from the Riverside camera, which was the view the linesman had.

I also read this morning that Pedersen had flu last week and was taken off because he was feeling the strain. In that context his decent performance looks even better.

You're right O2G.

Berbatov was in front of the ball and was offside.

The disappointment for me was the fact that we are supposed to be chasing the position of securing a European position for next season - and yet again failed miserably ( at home :angry2: )

Spurs for the opening 20-30 mins absolutely tore us apart with some of the best footballl I have seen from an opposition team for a while and if they where a bit more clinical could have routed us out of sight before our goal.

As for Vogel - I still don't see the point of a defensive midfielder at home but if he was all we had then so be it - thought he did ok and we could not expect more considering - looks tidy and got better as the game progressed , early doors but does look like he could be useful for us

Fair result in the end but overall thought we blew it big time and Europe has now gone out the window as I don't see us getting anything from Liverpool and MU, and will be relying on us to take full points from both Portsmouth and Brum as I can see us beeing behind Citeh also come the Pompey game

Can we please have referees back instead of officials - as the ones on SAturday where beyond a joke - even moreso than Devine and Co - and nobody can tell me that there is not something about Rovers that makes these decisions either go against us or not for us.

:clearly hughes has favourites :brfcsmilie:

So do you wagster! You hated Savage with a passion. :rolleyes::lol:

btw if you think Roberts has done OK then what message are you sending out to him and the rest of the squad by dropping him for an unfit player? :blink:

You're right O2G.

Berbatov was in front of the ball and was offside.

I disagree. When Jenas plays the ball Berbatov is at worst level.

This image below is so blurred it hardly shows anything but you can roughly see the ball and where berbatov is and he's no way infront of the ball.

The ref was awful on Saturday, especially with the no-penalty, the soft fouls for Zakora and the inconsistent bookings. However to cry offside after seeing the replays is typical football supporters bias.

Offside.jpg

I disagree. When Jenas plays the ball Berbatov is at worst level.

This image below is so blurred it hardly shows anything but you can roughly see the ball and where berbatov is and he's no way infront of the ball.

The ref was awful on Saturday, especially with the no-penalty, the soft fouls for Zakora and the inconsistent bookings. However to cry offside after seeing the replays is typical football supporters bias.

Offside.jpg

Yes he does look onside there Hasta. O2G's point, is that from the riverside camera he looks to be in front of the last man. He does to me too.

EDIT:

In fact, he looks offside in that photo you posted as well.

How on earth do you reach that conclusion?

You can see the white of the ball, Berbatov is at least level with it (probably behind it really) so it is never offside.

No doubt about the foul on Bentley though, the only question would be indirect free-kick or penalty, and since it's been years since I can remember an indirect free-kick in the box you'd have to say penalty.

We've had the benefit of big decisions in recent weeks though, it's amazing how quickly everyone forgets those. This season has definitely been a case of things evening themselves out. Hopefully we'll get the benefit of some incompetent officiating in the remaining weeks.

No he doesn't.

If you can't see it in the picture, copy it into paint and draw two lines. One being the line of the 6 yard box, and one from the ball to Berbatov's front foot. Not only are they not even parallel, the path of the ball comes back at the larger angle.

No he doesn't.

If you can't see it in the picture, copy it into paint and draw two lines. One being the line of the 6 yard box, and one from the ball to Berbatov's front foot. Not only are they not even parallel, the path of the ball comes back at the larger angle.

Pardon?

Berbatov looks to be ahead of the ball, not only in that Photo, but as O2G's says, from the riverside camera he definately looks offside. So your paint machine must be out. :)

As for Vogel - I still don't see the point of a defensive midfielder at home

Just about every half-decent team plays with a defensive midfielder, home and away. It's a crucial role, especially in the Prem, where counter-attacking is the order of the day.

The DM should not only provide a shield in front of the back four, but ideally, he will prompt attacks with incisive passing.

Pardon?

Berbatov looks to be ahead of the ball, not only in that Photo, but as O2G's says, from the riverside camera he definately looks offside. So your paint machine must be out. :)

I must say Den, you are stunningly consistent. I mean, have you ever been wrong?! ;)

You need to see the Riverside view, which is more in line with play than the one above. I have freeze framed it from the Football First coverage, although I also think that view was on MOTD as well. There is no question from that view, which as I say, is a more accurate side on view, that it's offside.

Having said that it is close and you can understand a linesman not spotting it. I don't really have a problem with the result overall - it was right on the balance of the whole match. But there were three decisions which could have changed the result in Rovers' favour - the Spurs goal, the Bentley "penalty" and, having now seen a replay of this, the worst of the lot - Roberts spinning off Dawson and turning with a free shot at goal. Might have gone in Row Z of course...

:P OK.

No Den; don't capitulate just yet. I have paused the U-Tube sequence at the instant of the pass being made, and although the angle is not too good, it does show:

1. That the pass is made forward to Berbatov.

2. That Berbatov is nearer to the 6yd line than either The Rovers defender or the Spurs player making the pass.

3. There is no other Rovers defender nearer to the Goal Line than Berbatov.

4. Berbatov is active and therefore he is offside.

Archived