BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers - Manchester United

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Little 'owd Rovers really rattled their cages on and off the pitch! :lol:

Man Utd 'fans'......the biggest bunch of gobshytes in football.

I wonder how often they get "Shall we sing a song for you" sung at them.

They were very quiet for long periods, as quiet as I've ever known.

Next time we play them roversmum, i really dont think women, children or the elderly should go to the match for their own safety, and, for their eyes and ears to be polluted by such foul mouthed, extremely offensive provocative yobs.

They are the unacceptable face of England, the medias darlings aswell shame on us all, if only, if only for a few good men in the right places we could root out such lost evil scumbags, thats all, hope i havent offended you.

I mean the football fans not the club of Manchester United.

In my view Rob Styles put in one of the worst displays of refereeing I've seen in many a long year on Saturday and it shows just how ridiculously meaningless the "fair play" leagues are.

In the second half alone I reckoned Tevez should have walked for two blatant yellow card offences: an awful challenge on Warnock leading with his elbow, followed by hacking Emerton down from behind 60 seconds after play restarted! No red, no yellows, barely a ticking off!

A couple of minutes later one of our players tripped a United player up just outside the area, Styles couldn't wait to get his yellow card out, he'd brandished it before the United player had finished rolling over!.

Brown committed three fairly blatant cardable offences in the second half imo and was also lucky not to walk. Again not even a yellow.

Vidic hacked one of our guys down with a horrible challenge, again not even a ticking off. Generally if United were attacking Styles was right up with play, if we were attacking he was 50 or 60 yards away and didn't seem in the least bit interested.

Having said that two United supporting colleagues were equally unhappy with him so he must be equally adept at upsetting everyone.

If Keith Hackett wants something useful to do he should start by getting everyone to referee the "big 4" evenhandedly, not waffling on about "PIG" guidelines which no-one applies in practice. (Except again when it benefits the top 4)

:angry:

In my view Rob Styles put in one of the worst displays of refereeing I've seen in many a long year on Saturday and it shows just how ridiculously meaningless the "fair play" leagues are.

In the second half alone I reckoned Tevez should have walked for two blatant yellow card offences: an awful challenge on Warnock leading with his elbow, followed by hacking Emerton down from behind 60 seconds after play restarted! No red, no yellows, barely a ticking off!

A couple of minutes later one of our players tripped a United player up just outside the area, Styles couldn't wait to get his yellow card out, he'd brandished it before the United player had finished rolling over!.

Brown committed three fairly blatant cardable offences in the second half imo and was also lucky not to walk. Again not even a yellow.

Vidic hacked one of our guys down with a horrible challenge, again not even a ticking off. Generally if United were attacking Styles was right up with play, if we were attacking he was 50 or 60 yards away and didn't seem in the least bit interested.

Having said that two United supporting colleagues were equally unhappy with him so he must be equally adept at upsetting everyone.

If Keith Hackett wants something useful to do he should start by getting everyone to referee the "big 4" evenhandedly, not waffling on about "PIG" guidelines which no-one applies in practice. (Except again when it benefits the top 4)

Agree, i've stood up for other referees like Ashton in the past, but this guy Styles was definitely a bad apple.

There was also Tevez's tackle on Vogel pictured in the match gallery on the official site. And the challenge on Samba by Rooney was a thuggish, studs up one that should have merited a red card.

Yet all we are getting is that they were denied 'three blatant penalties'. It's sickening and this is the type of thing that gets the genuine honest supporter wondering if he/she can take much more.

Next time we play them roversmum, i really dont think women, children or the elderly should go to the match for their own safety, and, for their eyes and ears to be polluted by such foul mouthed, extremely offensive provocative yobs.

Steady on, Jal, I fulfil the first of those criteria and am coming close to the third.

I have to confess that I wasn't very nice to the MU fan I discovered sitting behind me and I certainly made my feelings known to the fawning crowd in the corner by the bench before the match. No swearing, of course :closedeyes: Oh, it would have been so sweet if we had won.

We are, of course, used to all the usual rubbish trotted out by opposition fans but a portion of Manchester United fans take it to a whole new level.

What a horribly biased assessment of the game. Rooney should have gone, without a doubt, but then at the same time, he was only really annoyed because of the fact that he wasn't awarded a penalty for the Reid tackle, when he certainly dived, but where there was certainly contact and a penalty could easily have been awarded. The red card was more obvious than the penalty, more clear-cut and was for me a certain red card whereas the penalty would have been a bit soft, but it was still probably a foul.

As for Tevez not being booked, I think in general Styles tried to keep his cards in his pocket and didn't produce too many and there could have probably been more bookings for both sides. Tevez certainly didn't lead with his elbow for the header, he was simply trying to challenge for the ball and it goes back to the classic line of "you have to have your arms in the air when you jump". It really is as simple as that.

I find your constant complaints about the officials about as tiresome as I do those of Hughes. It seems that every game you feel as if we haven't had things go our way, whereas in recent weeks, unlike in previous seasons, we've probably had more 50/50 and flat-out wrong decisions work in our favour.

You always need to think that if the shirts on the players were switched would be unhappy about a certain free-kick being awarded or card being issues. Had Bentley been booked for doing what you want Tevez to have been booked for you would have been on here complaining about how officials pick on "dirty" Rovers. You can't have it both ways.

I pretty much agree with that Eddie, although supporters are supporters. The clearest penalty claim in the game was Emerton's handball and apart from that I thought the referee did okay. He could have given two more penalties for United but didn't on a fair basis I think. Rooney went to ground with Reid and Vogel got the ball.

But certainly we got away with the Emerton handball. He moved his elbow to the ball.

I don't think anyone should have been sent off really. I would have been annoyed if one of our players were sent off for anything in that game.

On balance this season, for the first time since I have supported Rovers, I feel we have had the rub of the green in most games. We can't complain of not getting our fair share of decisions.

Of course. I disagree with the Emerton penalty though. His arms were on his body and he didn't move them towards the ball, had it not hit his arm it would have gone on to hit his body. The only way he could have avoided that would have been had he had his arms amputated before the match.

I'd have to side with Rev on the officiating. Specifically Tevez, he lead with his elbow. You can make the "jumping and having to raise arms argument" if you want but he was not simply jumoing he was airborn coming in from the side and had his elbow LEADING just as rev says.

The handball we got away with Emerton DID move his arm to the ball ever so slightly. Overall I thought Styles favoured the Mancs giving just about all fall downs by their players as free kicks. What I found really irritating, and I do a lot it goes on all around the game now, is the holding going un punished.

The Roberts penalty shout, much has been made that the Utd keeper played the ball, yes he did but if you watch it it is by means of a lucky bounce rather than a timly tackle. He went to stop the man and that is all, just got lucky with the way the ball bounced.

We got a draw, or they got one from a corner, that should not have been either, however it was what it was, It's not going to change the way the refs call these games involving the top 4.

I saw highlights of a game last night forget who but a penalty was given for handball, the defender was sliding in and his arm was a little raised (might have been S'land). Penalty given, remember a certain similar incident with Carragher at Ewood, except his arms were raised even more, no penalty. SOmeone had the audacity to claim that was part of the "natural" movement of sliding in.

They just need to do something to make sure these games ar called more fairly.

I found the point on styles to be interesting, he'd previously given 8 reds, 4 of which were against Utd's opponents. Something very interesting here too, on Fox Football Fone in last night even the two blokes on there berated Styles performance. Not usually something that happens them speaking out in defence of the smaller clubs.

Opinions opinions, it's what makes us love our football and it's what keeps us entertained between matches

I find your constant complaints about the officials about as tiresome as I do those of Hughes. It seems that every game you feel as if we haven't had things go our way, whereas in recent weeks, unlike in previous seasons, we've probably had more 50/50 and flat-out wrong decisions work in our favour.

You always need to think that if the shirts on the players were switched would be unhappy about a certain free-kick being awarded or card being issues. Had Bentley been booked for doing what you want Tevez to have been booked for you would have been on here complaining about how officials pick on "dirty" Rovers. You can't have it both ways.

Odd comments to make Edward, I think you'll find I am usually at the forefront of the "There is no vendetta against Rovers" camp and agreeing that we do generally get our fair share of decisions over the course of the season, and that things do generally even themselves out.

Except when we're playing the "big 4" that is.

Still think Styles had a stinker on Saturday and Bentley didn't do what Tevez did so really don't understand the point you are trying to make there.

Hypothetically, if he had, he couldn't have complained about a yellow in either instance.

I pretty much agree with that Eddie, although supporters are supporters. The clearest penalty claim in the game was Emerton's handball and apart from that I thought the referee did okay.

I'll go further . I thought the ref had a very good game - I just don't like refs who feel they have to dish cards out like confetti and who usually end up letting tackles go at the end of the game which they had carded at the beginning .

All the penalty claims in that game were open to interpretation and none of the fouls were as bad as some make out . It's still a contact sport after all .

Even Rooney , who was beginning to lose his rag , didn't deserve more than a booking .

All in all it was a good confrontational game with a good edge to it . A pity we don't see more like it .

Nah, probably only a yellow card worthy. However, he probably should have got one also for the dive in the box.

(Referring to Rooney's yellow card)

Actually, I thought it was worth a sending off. It was premeditated, petulant and totally wild. The only saving grace was that it was so high and clumsey that it was on its way to being a body check rather than a tackle. Clearly after the player, no attempt to play the ball. It didn't do alot of damage physically but that isn't how an offence should be judged. Forget the other "controversial" decisions, that was the key one. Still incensed days later

I'll go further . I thought the ref had a very good game - I just don't like refs who feel they have to dish cards out like confetti and who usually end up letting tackles go at the end of the game which they had carded at the beginning .

All the penalty claims in that game were open to interpretation and none of the fouls were as bad as some make out . It's still a contact sport after all .

Even Rooney , who was beginning to lose his rag , didn't deserve more than a booking .

All in all it was a good confrontational game with a good edge to it . A pity we don't see more like it .

Agreed (especially the part in bold).

I can't believe so many people want to dish out bookings for every tackle, the game would be horrible if that happened. We also got away with a few rough challenges (i.e. Warnock sending Ronaldo flying) but, as per usual, we choose to ignore those. Tevez on Warnock was NEVER a yellow, they both jumped with their arms up (that's the only way to get height), but because Tevez was running and Warnock was stationary, Tevez had the height and momentum and unfortunately Warnock got caught. Both players had eyes for the ball and it was unintentional, which is why our players never made anything of it.

The only way you can criticise Styles for not dishing out more bookings is that wasn't consistent with his past performances. When viewed in isolation the game was refereed with common sense, if Styles can adopt that approach for every game he officiates then he might make a half-decent referee yet, because he has been consistently one of the worst in the past.

Edit: Just a quick point; if there even a hint of 'big 4 bias' on Saturday then we never, ever would have survived three penalty shouts against Utd (one being stonewall).

Another edit: The interpretation of Kuszczak's block by some is laughable. No top-level goalkeeper charges at someone in the box with the intention of barging them to the ground, he came out to block the ball and he did so...luck (and more importantly, penalties) had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Tevez on Warnock was NEVER a yellow, they both jumped with their arms up (that's the only way to get height), but because Tevez was running and Warnock was stationary, Tevez had the height and momentum and unfortunately Warnock got caught. Both players had eyes for the ball and it was unintentional, which is why our players never made anything of it.

Since when did dangerous play have to be intentional? Dangerous play = yellow card - doesn't it?

Since when did dangerous play have to be intentional? Dangerous play = yellow card - doesn't it?

There's nothing about dangerous play and yellow cards in the rules Den. If was dangerous then it's a red, if it wasn't dangerous but intentional then it's a yellow. Maybe we should get a copy of the rules pinned somewhere.

Also, if you are interpreting that as dangerous then we may as well have a no contact sport. Some instances are going to be unavoidably dangerous to some degree, and two players contesting a header is one of those things. Tevez could have easily been the one coming off worse, it was just unfortunate that Warnock got a whack on the cheek.

Rob Styles had a simple decision to make-

either be lenient and let it flow allowing a bunch of grown men to knock the wotsits out of each other or be strict.

He would have known that on the balance of probabilities Rovers were going to get stuck in and put United under pressure wherever the ball was and that some of United's more combustible characters wouldn't like that one little bit. If he had been strict, Messrs Rooney, Brown and Emerton would have walked and there would have been 4 pens (3-1 ManU). And who knows what sort of afters in addition as tempers really frayed. Plus Man U facing the run in without Rooney which for sure would have had RFW melting the phone handset in Hacket's hand and who knows what repercussions and recriminations.

The reality is we had an incredibly entertaining afternoon of football which we would not have done if some of those criticising Rob Styles had got their choice of officiating.

PS Bert deliberately handballed and that's a pen and a red card; don't kid yourselves otherwise. The other 3 pens were correctly not given IMO.

PPS If Barca watched the Rovers and copy our tactics they will reach the CL final. If they don't, they won't.

There's nothing about dangerous play and yellow cards in the rules Den. If was dangerous then it's a red, if it wasn't dangerous but intentional then it's a yellow. Maybe we should get a copy of the rules pinned somewhere.

Also, if you are interpreting that as dangerous then we may as well have a no contact sport. Some instances are going to be unavoidably dangerous to some degree, and two players contesting a header is one of those things. Tevez could have easily been the one coming off worse, it was just unfortunate that Warnock got a whack on the cheek.

Apologies LeChuck, dangerous play isn't always a yellow card. Don't know why I said that really. Dangerous play doesn't have to be any card though.

Your reasoning that it wasn't a yellow card was because it wasn't intentional. It doesn't have to be intentional to be dangerous.

Warnock wasn't unlucky, he was hit by a player jumping into him and catching him on the head. Luck had nowt to do with it. "Tevez could have easily been the one coming off worse". No way was Tevez in any danger Le Chuck.

Another edit: The interpretation of Kuszczak's block by some is laughable. No top-level goalkeeper charges at someone in the box with the intention of barging them to the ground, he came out to block the ball and he did so...luck (and more importantly, penalties) had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Our opinions differ Chuck. The way I saw it was that Kuszczak reckoned he had a 90% chance of getting to the ball - which he did - and whilst he was doing that he had a 100% chance of making sure Roberts would get floored - which he did. So 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't be a pen - which it wasn't - and 1 time out of 10 it would be. I'd agree luck had nothing to do with it. Simple eh ;)

Well imo judging by the criteria set by match officials to our players over the past few seasons we should have ended the last two matches playing against 10 men.

Exactly tnr.

Bluephil, I expect off the wall posts from Eddie in an attempt to be deliberately confrontational but I was so astounded from the comments from a sensible poster like you that I decided to do "a Fife" and rerun the action several times several times over on my trusty V+ box in the cold light of day. :P

The Tevez challenge on Warnock wasn't intentional, if it was it would have been a straight red. However it was certainly dangerous, he led with his elbow and caught Warnock, in that respect he was reckless. Nailed on yellow imo.

The tackle on Vogel a minute later was worthy of a yellow in isolation imo, however if Tevez had already received a yellow for the Warnock challenge I would maybe have applauded a decision by the referee to exercise a bit of restraint and not send him off for what was a mistimed rather than malicious tackle. Nevertheless you generally see players carded for a lot less than that challenge.

I think the TV cameras missed one of Brown's indiscretions as it showed us taking a free kick in Brown's vicinity where nothing obvious had occurred. However the two fouls he committed which were captured were very cynical, a completely deliberate check on Warnock and a petulant push to the ground on MGP.

Vidic's challenge also fell into what you might call the "professional foul" category. Roberts would have been clear away on goal and Vidic knew it, hence a cynical hack from the rear to bring him down.

Now I'm the last person to want players dismissed if it isn't absolutely necessary, but that's six challenges which taken in isolation weren't exactly borderline yellows imo and the fact that not even one yellow card was issued was unbelievable.

Or maybe it isn't in view of the fact that Setanta announced during commentary that unbelievably that was the 21st time Styles has officiated United this season. How can that be right? He's bound to develop an affinity or familiarity with the United players refereeing them that regularly.

Archived