BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season Friendlies

it was difficult to make any sort of accurate assessment from today`s game in that we had half a team missing. I think Roque, Emerton, Pedersen, Nelsen and Villanueva who all missed today would be in the side with possibly Andrews? or Pennant? to come in later. A crowd of about 3,000 didnt really make for much in the way of atmosphere but Ince got a warm reception from the fans in the Enclosure at the start of the second half. No doubt his introduction will be left till the Hull game.

Plus points from today. Dunny was easily the MOM; full of running and trickery; he responded to being the captain for the day. Warnock and Samba immense; Treacy very promising. Simpson and Robinson were both good Also good flowing football at times which eventually got us the goal. Roberts and Benni weren`t a bad partnership but we missed Roque.

Minus points. Poor Robbie please retire so that we can remember you as the great player you once were. No way can you expect a deal from the club. How sad it will be when Tugay goes. His cameo appearance showed the lack of flair we have at the club at the moment. I really thought that Ince was going to address that with some imaginative signings but we`ll have to wait and see what happens this week. Reid has so much raw talent to be a great footballer but it has got lost at Ewood.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stand to be called rotten here, but I thought we were mind-numbingly boring, against a mind numbingly poor Breda side.

Just an observation about today's game, not an observation about the team that will turn out next Saturday.

Bloody hell den that's exactly opposite to what you said to me when we coincidentally :unsure: met in the gents bogs after the game?

You said "encouraging Simon?" and I said something like "First half was dire, second half was very good." Which you seemed to agree with.

In that respect it was exactly like a home performance under Mark Hughes!

Imo

Robinson looked very confident overall, but maybe could have done better with the goal.

Simpson: Very encouraging

Warnock: Reliable as always

Samba: excellent.

Ooijer: liability. When's Nelsen back?

Reid: I'm a fan of his but very poor today

Dunn: anything creative came from him. Pretty good.

Derbyshire: Wasted on the right wing

Treacy: Tremendous second half

McCarthy and Roberts: RSC won't exactly be worried about losing his place.

Fowler: OK, we've seen Shearer, Cole and Robbie in the famous blue and white halves now. That'll do.

Overall, the second half was very encouraging though. And the young lads who came on as subs ran around like men possessed.

Agree on the whole with most of the comments about Breda game; they were a nice passing side until Rovers got stuck into them, then wilted.

Don't really blame Rob for the goal, more like the defence leaving 3 unmarked players on the edge of the box. Hard to really tell, but did it get a deflection? He seemed to get a hand to it, but IMO not one to crucify him over. Kicking is certainly a plus over Brad, but we're always bound to suffer with losing BF - as indeed we are in the bigger picture with Incey. Real question is how long it will take to settle and will we be stronger in the long run for it?

Treacy was MOM for me; good strong runs, confident, worked hard, crossed well & made the goal. Overlapped superbly with Warnock - who looked back to the consistency we have to come to expect of him - and covered @ left back on occasions. Compare & contrast with the RHS. We discovered in first half last season Derbs isn't a right midfielder/winger, and Simpson needs to realise he's dropped down somewhat and won't get away with a few things he did today. I've seem him play well at United, and no doubt he will settle down and come good here, but he simply won't get away with telling the ref, and some of his teammates, what he wants them do, & can cut out the little petulant tricks like hiding & throwing the ball away. Seems very confident on the ball, possibly over-keen to impress as his touch let him down & he was caught out of position a few times. Put that one down to first game & not having a proper midfielder in front of him.

Good to see Incey has faith in youth, extra bonus with young Aaron Doran coming on too. Wondered if Fowler's age is more than the 3 forwards he was playing alongside, Doran, Judge & Treacy (joke).

Delighted to see Oojer back today - as no doubt Samba was - he's not the fastest, but has an excellent head on him, reads the game so well. Caught for pace once, but feel Samba looks so much better when he concentrate on his game, not marshalling the defence - leave that to Nelsen or Oojer. Samba seemed more confident in his own game too - heading, tackling & intercepting well and even trying to get forward at times.

Judgey looked lively when given a trot, and felt Dunny played well. Evident to all that Reidy is at best making the numbers up, but hopefully as (and when) we sign our 'water carrier' defensive better-than-Makele & Senna midfielder then we will look stronger for it. Reidy has a good engine on it, but we need a more complete option. Dunny likes playing forward but can't run, has the engine of a Lada. Moko can only play backwards & crop people. Reidy has to take a second to steady himself, think and then pass - but can't do all that at once, he's too ponderous. If he gets the ball in space, he can pass well, but it's like watching stop-motion at times with him. Kinda like when you were a kid, someone had one of them books with different pictures on each corner, and when you flick through fast it's a rudimentary animation. With Reid it's like there's every third page missing - either that or he's a graduate of the KiaOra Academy.

Last - and very much least - Benedict & Marsellus Wallace. Good points - Benedict looked slimmer; he's now down from Martha Dumptruck to Fern Britton. He's still got his talent, but always seems to only want to play when he wants. One chance everyone thought he'd be better off passing, looked like he'd missed the moment but he still managed to force a save from the goalie. Roberts couldn't (well actually he could) have missed his header, superb cross from Treacy, but had his usual battering ram of a game. Both 'strikers' offer different options, but one's all about talent-with no application- and the other is vice versa. Still would like to see a striker with genuine pace, or at least give Derbs a run as second striker, if only to determine if he's likely to be a supersub or not. Still feel striker department is where we're most threadbare - senior wise at least - and very vulnerable if Old Roque (still limping today BTW) isn't right, suspended, injured, etc.

Fowler-nuff said.

PS. Pulis from Stoke was in directors box, hopefully watching Moko ready to make a move for him. My wish was granted when the rusty Axe didn't play, as if Pulis had seen him play it would certainly put paid to a move.

Bloody hell den that's exactly opposite to what you said to me when we coincidentally :unsure: met in the gents bogs after the game?

You said "encouraging Simon?" and I said something like "First half was dire, second half was very good." Which you seemed to agree with.

Encouraging Simon? Note the question mark. :lol:

Main points I took from the game today:

We looked stale. Yes we've got a new manager but there just didnt seem anything exciting about the play - hopefully Villanueva will add a bit of flair.

Robinson - Did alright and as already mentioned seemed a lot louder than Friedel and was talking to the defence all day. I thought he looked a bit dodgy on corners - yes it was wet but there were some that you would have expected him to come and claim - instead he watched them flash across the 6 yard box.

Simpson - promising debut. Looked very much a similar player to Warnock.

Dunn - Man of the match by a mile. Hopefully being vice captain will inspire him to get back to his pre-brum form.

Treacy - Looked good and a capable back up to Pedersen

McCarthy - Involved with play often n looked alright but he was never far enough up the pitch - he needs reminding he's a striker or he will continue to go through the season without scoring goals.

Derbyshire - Isnt a rightwinger and will hopefully get a chance to play up front otherwise we'll have another Paul Gallagher on our hands in a couple of years.

Who was the person sat in the stand with Ince in the first half n then continued to sit up there throughout the second half? He looks to be Ince's main man but he wasnt Knox or Matthias.

After watching since 1961 two points- A good pre season doesn't mean a lot but a bad pre season means you're sure to struggle. I remember watching Kiddo's expensive rabble grind out a 0-0 draw at Oldham and saying to my son " I'll give him two months ", did he last that long ?

Let's hope the board don't even give the clown long enough to sign Keith Andrews. Get him out before we go even further backwards, he's already destroyed the foundations that Hughes built for him by subjecting the players to a Mathias/Knox pre season "regime."

I keep hoping this is a bad dream, but it's actually happening, we have Paul Ince in charge. I'm embarrassed to be a Rovers fan at the moment, fans from other clubs are pissing themselves at us. Mr Williams what have you done?

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, we should give youth players more of a chance.

I just found it odd that you chose today to claim we were finally doing that when only Treacy was named in the starting eleven, and Doran the only one on the bench.

It was just relief after Judge's recent involvement and Treacy's relative success.

I still get narked by the prejudice that favours mediocre experience. The use of Derbyshire as a right winger is another example. He is a mediocre right winger (if that) and has shown nothing else in that position. Yet, why does he start there today? Because he is more experienced that Judge and Doran. Perhaps, Ince just wanted him to improve his fitness but this judgment on experience over merit happens continually. It's why Stevie Reid still gets games at right back when he is dreadful there.

I'm really pleased about Treacy's performance because it has been a bloody long time since we had a fast winger in the side (Duff and Gillespie were the last) and if he can step up, he'll make a useful addition to the squad. For once, we might be able to turn to the bench and think, "actually, that guy could turn this game in our favour."

Main points I took from the game today:

We looked stale. Yes we've got a new manager but there just didnt seem anything exciting about the play - hopefully Villanueva will add a bit of flair.

Who was the person sat in the stand with Ince in the first half n then continued to sit up there throughout the second half? He looks to be Ince's main man but he wasnt Knox or Matthias.

Stale?

Having a left winger that can actually - and did - cross well.

Having your fullbacks actually forward of your centre halves as a starting position, and not playing this daft tippy-tappy between goalie-centreback-fullback only to then hoof upfield (not just a legacy of the MH regime but back to Harford years) is a positive in my book.

Having a bit more pace in the side is a positive, no?

Bet you've no bread in your house, have you? Seems like you're they type of guy that has Kingsmill for three years, then changes to Tesco value & can't wait to say it's not as good.

Clearly comparing a regime that's had constant development & steady growth for 3 years to a new, less experienced (in some respects) one that has so far only had one constant in it's pre-season games (vastly different line ups) isn't really a sound basis for a like-for-like comparison. I'd suggest give it ten games at least, and judge it by it then, not by comparison to the past. However little people may like it, it's the future (for now) Ince is hardly likely to be shuffled out, no matter what people on here think. Hughes played crap football too at times, so let's not use that as another tool for the pitchforkers please.

However, you make some valid points based on that one game. Personally, Ince at least shows an understanding & willingness for youth that could pay dividends in the long run, which is a feather in a cap as that's one brief the club is looking to develop over the next few years.

Derbs isn't a right winger, Simpson looks like could be a job & I'm sure will develop with Emerton in front of him to play as well together as Treacy/Warnock did yesterday. Still think we need a genuine centre midfielder to replace Reid, Moko and do the donkey work Dunny struggles with - the 'water carrier'. Also think we need could find one player that can cover Roberts & Benedict, hopefully to provide effort & skill in one player rather than two.

Here's to fresh bread, flair & f'in confidence in our regime :rolleyes:

The guy you refer to I think you will find is Karl Robinson, (assistant first team coach) Ince has brought with him. Nice to see JW having a genuine interest in the game and speaking a lot about it with Ince.

What's Faz up to these days? Noticed he was sat up top with Stuart Pearce. Scouting for someone?

Bish - you do amuse me. God knows what you thought of Hughes at first. Despite all your bleating, would suggest you wake & accept that it's not going to get Ince sacked, so it may be prudent to actually consider that things may get worse in your opinion. That said, they could get better on the whole too, though would suggest even if Rovers won ten games on the bounce, you'd still find something to criticise - which is your right of course - but perhaps you could list the five criteria that you will judge Ince by, then we can review later on?

For instance, results - performances - style of football - strength of squad - consistency are five I feel important. Prejudice & a propensity to lynch too quickly aren't.

But skill is useless without application - Arte et Labore!!

EXACTLY! I know I'm speaking with an angry head at the moment, for a number of reasons, (all rovers related) but I wouldn't give a s*** if he left tomorrow.

His lack of application is a total disgrace at times and he is not someone I want associated with us!

I thought we were average at best. Any premier league team will rip us apart on that performance. I will give Ince a chance but if he sign Keith Andrews then he is dangling on a very fine thread. I envisage bottom 3 at Christmas. I have just watched Forest v Reading - i do not want to go back to that league!!!!!

Watching Tottenham against Roma at the moment, Spurs are looking quite good. 2-0 up, Bentley with the first.

Bentley just added the 3rd, his 2nd. The first was a free kick, the second a really good shot from outside the area.

Don't rub it in Herbegeehh.

To think some people preferred the money. It will come in really handy playing right wing next Saturday. ;)

Stale?

Having a left winger that can actually - and did - cross well.

Having your fullbacks actually forward of your centre halves as a starting position, and not playing this daft tippy-tappy between goalie-centreback-fullback only to then hoof upfield (not just a legacy of the MH regime but back to Harford years) is a positive in my book.

Having a bit more pace in the side is a positive, no?

Bet you've no bread in your house, have you? Seems like you're they type of guy that has Kingsmill for three years, then changes to Tesco value & can't wait to say it's not as good.

Clearly comparing a regime that's had constant development & steady growth for 3 years to a new, less experienced (in some respects) one that has so far only had one constant in it's pre-season games (vastly different line ups) isn't really a sound basis for a like-for-like comparison. I'd suggest give it ten games at least, and judge it by it then, not by comparison to the past. However little people may like it, it's the future (for now) Ince is hardly likely to be shuffled out, no matter what people on here think. Hughes played crap football too at times, so let's not use that as another tool for the pitchforkers please.

However, you make some valid points based on that one game. Personally, Ince at least shows an understanding & willingness for youth that could pay dividends in the long run, which is a feather in a cap as that's one brief the club is looking to develop over the next few years.

Derbs isn't a right winger, Simpson looks like could be a job & I'm sure will develop with Emerton in front of him to play as well together as Treacy/Warnock did yesterday. Still think we need a genuine centre midfielder to replace Reid, Moko and do the donkey work Dunny struggles with - the 'water carrier'. Also think we need could find one player that can cover Roberts & Benedict, hopefully to provide effort & skill in one player rather than two.

Here's to fresh bread, flair & f'in confidence in our regime :rolleyes:

The guy you refer to I think you will find is Karl Robinson, (assistant first team coach) Ince has brought with him. Nice to see JW having a genuine interest in the game and speaking a lot about it with Ince.

What's Faz up to these days? Noticed he was sat up top with Stuart Pearce. Scouting for someone?

Bish - you do amuse me. God knows what you thought of Hughes at first. Despite all your bleating, would suggest you wake & accept that it's not going to get Ince sacked, so it may be prudent to actually consider that things may get worse in your opinion. That said, they could get better on the whole too, though would suggest even if Rovers won ten games on the bounce, you'd still find something to criticise - which is your right of course - but perhaps you could list the five criteria that you will judge Ince by, then we can review later on?

For instance, results - performances - style of football - strength of squad - consistency are five I feel important. Prejudice & a propensity to lynch too quickly aren't.

Treacy only crossed the ball accurately ONCE ALL MATCH from which we scored, so please dont go overboard and give a misleading representation of the lad though he did look enthusiastic far more than Blobbie Fowler.

Treacy did well, dont think hes prem standard just yet, and as for Judge hes never a premiership footballer on the brief fifteen minutes or so he was on.

Treacy only crossed the ball accurately ONCE ALL MATCH from which we scored, so please dont go overboard and give a misleading representation of the lad though he did look enthusiastic far more than Blobbie Fowler.

Treacy did well, dont think hes prem standard just yet, and as for Judge hes never a premiership footballer on the brief fifteen minutes or so he was on.

Wake up Bagpuss!!!

The only 'misleading representation' is you clearly didn't watch all the game, or have a different perception of a good cross. Let me rephrase then. In the second half Keith Treacy played at least another three great crosses from the left wing almost carbon copies of which we scored the goal first goal from. Therefore, if the cross you saw was 'good', perchance one could consider the others good too - providing they were noticed? Using the cross for the goal was scored from as our norm, I would suggest his other 3 crosses I noted as precise, or at least consistent.

I guess it's down to perception, I consider that scoring cross accurate as it was into a position most strikers would score from, or even a defender could get a bad touch and deflect in. Kinda like Wilcox; he could be so frustrating, but he often whizzed daisy cutters along the box that looked like they weren't go to any Rovers forward, but defenders struggled to deal with, and often resulted in goals.

Then again, going off your reticence to suggest positivity, perhaps your opinion is he crossed badly every time & we got a lucky goal from one of them?

I'm not suggesting Keith Treacy is the panacea to all wrong at Ewood, simply acknowledging he had a very good game IMO - which is a positive I'd hope others would agree with, perhaps you'd prepare to concentrate on ripping the lad apart for his performance in the Cov game.

To use Robbie Fowler as a comparison for enthusiasm against Treacy is kinda like saying Stephen Hawkings is a bit cleverer than Jade Goody.

One last proviso - these are Academy lads who I'd like to hope we can progress through and continue their advancement. As to if they're Premiership material, let's not get into a semantic discourse on the definition of a Premiership footballer. They've all got potential at this stage, Treacy in particular has bags of talent but has had numerous false starts with injury, lack of consistency/application etc. Hopefully he - and Judgey - can take the opportunities afforded to them and make the best of them, that's all I hope for at this stage with them.

Treacy delivered a lot more crosses than anybody else, set up the equaliser and could have set up the winner if Simspon was taller. The ball skidded off the top of his noggin.

Agree with the poster above. The cross for the goal was superb, but for the mostpart, his crossing was poor. He seemed to be looking for the gap between defenders and hoping it would find a player.

Agree with the poster above. The cross for the goal was superb, but for the mostpart, his crossing was poor. He seemed to be looking for the gap between defenders and hoping it would find a player.

Returned from foreign shores so missed yesterday, but doesn't that type of cross place an obligation on the forwards to attack the ball?

Returned from foreign shores so missed yesterday, but doesn't that type of cross place an obligation on the forwards to attack the ball?

Yes, but it was the only ONE that was worth attacking, but yes I'll give him more time to develop those crooses.

Looked to me like Karl Robinson - Archie Knox' number 2 - and I was sat fairly close

Archived