BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season Friendlies

Channel 5

they just scored and are winning 1-0 Botchinov !!

Vassell and Bojinov up front, Petrov and Elano pulling things together down the flanks

Johnson playing with Dunne and Richards (I think) in the middle back 4.

Not very pleasing to watch whilst Milan are awful

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good in a way that the youth are getting their chance with Treacy starting and Judge and Doran being introduced later on but nothing out of the ordinary from the three youngsters.

I thought Treacy played quite well. His corners hit the mark and he put in some useful crosses where he beat his man, including setting up the equaliser. He looks stronger than last season and did some good tracking back. Linked up quite well with Warnock.

Judge looked busy but didn't really have time to impose himself and Doran had even less time.

Derbyshire looked totally out of sorts and off the pace, playing out of position on the right wing.

Defence looked ok, this would be my first choice back four with the exception of probably playing Emerton at right back. Simpson did ok though.

Dunny was busy in midfield with one or two good runs but Reid was poor in my opinion and was hardly noticed.

Benni did some nice touches and link up play but not much else and Roberts couldn't miss with a pearler of a cross from Treacy to make it 1-1.

First half was a poor showing from Rovers. Breda were very quickly out of the blocks and we hardly got a kick in the first 15 minutes as we chased a slick passing Dutch outfit. Second half was better as Breda gradually tired and Rovers got the upper hand.

Not particularly good overall but not bad either. Get the missing players back for the Everton game, particularly Santa and let's hope!

In fact, I would offload Roberts ASAP - the guy's hopeless. OK he scored today but he was about 1 foot out and under no pressure - even Ashley Ward would have got it.

Whilst Roberts is obviously far from the greatest striker we would want, unless your completely blinkered surely everyone can see he is a valuable squad player and an excellent impact player. People keep touting Derbs for the 'impact' role but Roberts is far more suited. I doubt any other players (except Santa) could have turned the Bolton and Fulham away games like he did last year coming off the bench.

Despite his (lack of) finishing, his scoring record from open play was better than Benni's last year. If players are to be offloaded 'ASAP' , there should be other candidates before Roberts.

Our pre-season just show how fast our team is getting worse. According to norwegian press the players are not happy about the training under ince as its so much more boring than what Hughes was doing.

Has the odds for "first manager to get the sack" come out yet?

I went to the game today and we did ok, Breda where a neat and tidy team but and other than a fluky goal we dominated. The pace of the game was really slow in the first half but it was good to see that we are going to play a passing game instead of lumping balls up at every opportunity like we did last season.

Instead of reading what the papers say have a look at how the team are playing, we did not look like a team in crisis, we played some decent stuff. Ince wants us to play neat attacking football and to me the players responded to that.

It was a friendly and the pace was always going to be slow but the defence looked solid, Dunn was superb and there was some good link up play between the strikers and midfield.

The more I read this messageboard the more i am convinced it is full of negative manic depressive people who have got nothing better to do than convince themselves that we are a cr*p team with a cr*p manager who sign cr*p players.

Bring on everton next week, I can't wait.

The good news is that we were much better than last week at Wolves - but then it couldn't be worse.

I felt we were poor in the first half against a Breda team that were neat and tidy in possession. They retained the ball for long periods with their passing but lacked a cutting edge. I thought Simpson looked uncertain at right-back but Warnock was greatly improved on last week and more his normal self. Ooijer and Samba looked a decent partnership. My initial reaction was that Robinson might have done better for the goal as the ball seemed to go through him. However, there were a lot of players in front of him so I think I might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Midfield is clearly a worry. Derbyshire is not really a wide player and it shows. Reid got through a lot of work but his distribution was poor. Dunny looked good going forward but struggled to make tackles without giving away fouls - largely because he lacks the pace to keep up with opponents running past him. However, he was our main threat from the centre of midfield and was always looking to probe the defence. I thought Treacy was very good on the left wing. Once or twice he overdid it, but he was prepared to run at people to get to the dead ball line and cross. On this form I think Pedersen might have serious competition for his place. Application has always been a problem with Treacy but if Ince can get him playing with more consistency and concentration we could have a really decent player in the making.

Benni had some nice touches and looked a threat when he got in the box. He's never going to be an industrious type of player but he is a class act. However, I felt he looked slightly overweight and needs to work on his fitness. Roberts was just Roberts. At times he looked threatening and at other times he was far too easily knocked off the ball.

The main thing that was crystal clear today was that Robbie Fowler has no part to play in the future of the Rovers. For a third time in pre-season I have been totally underwhelmed by him. I really don't know what Ince believes he can contribute.

As the pre-season comes to an end I think the jury remains out with regard to prospects for the coming season.

Whilst Roberts is obviously far from the greatest striker we would want, unless your completely blinkered surely everyone can see he is a valuable squad player and an excellent impact player. People keep touting Derbs for the 'impact' role but Roberts is far more suited. I doubt any other players (except Santa) could have turned the Bolton and Fulham away games like he did last year coming off the bench.

Despite his (lack of) finishing, his scoring record from open play was better than Benni's last year. If players are to be offloaded 'ASAP' , there should be other candidates before Roberts.

But the guy can't finish to save his life! The goal he scored against Bolton was a goalkeeping error and while he did OK against Fulham, there are three times as many occasions where he has either done nothing or missed sitters. Unless you're completely blinkered, surely you can see we can do far, far better? I agree that Derbyshire is not the answer either though - the worry is that neither are good enough to effectively push Benni or Santa for a starting place, and if Benni or Santa got injured we would struggle - badly.

We desperately need to freshen the forward line up - other than Santa and Benni IF he loses his excess baggage, we look a bit short in the striking department.

Given we're talking about strikers, I'd be interested to see which of ours you think should be offloaded before Roberts?

I went to the game today and we did ok, Breda where a neat and tidy team but and other than a fluky goal we dominated. The pace of the game was really slow in the first half but it was good to see that we are going to play a passing game instead of lumping balls up at every opportunity like we did last season.

Instead of reading what the papers say have a look at how the team are playing, we did not look like a team in crisis, we played some decent stuff. Ince wants us to play neat attacking football and to me the players responded to that.

It was a friendly and the pace was always going to be slow but the defence looked solid, Dunn was superb and there was some good link up play between the strikers and midfield.

The more I read this messageboard the more i am convinced it is full of negative manic depressive people who have got nothing better to do than convince themselves that we are a cr*p team with a cr*p manager who sign cr*p players.

i've been going to rovers for nearly 22 years now not as long as many i admit but this is the first season i've not been confident going into the start of a season! I'm not a manic depressive (outside of work anyway) and i hope to god i'm wrong but i just can't see Ince doing a good job for us

But the guy can't finish to save his life! The goal he scored against Bolton was a goalkeeping error and while he did OK against Fulham, there are three times as many occasions where he has either done nothing or missed sitters.

I've said the guy can't finish. The goal against Bolton indeed was a goalkeeping mistake. However Roberts is probably the only player in the squad who could have picked the ball up as deep as he did and powered into the box to get a strike on goal. Had it fell to any other striker there we wouldnt have won that game.

He does go missing in games hence the reason I said he's an impact player. Most of these games are when the ref doesn't allow him to back into the defenders. If he can't do that he's ineffective.

Unless you're completely blinkered, surely you can see we can do far, far better?

Did you actually read my full post? Go read my first sentence again.

Given we're talking about strikers, I'd be interested to see which of ours you think should be offloaded before Roberts?

McCarthy

Richters

Gallacher

Fowler

However I agree we are short of a first choice partner for Santa.

Is that in preference order or just random?

I'd leave McCarthy, the guy is the only one of our strikers that has SKILL.

That's who would I like to see leave before Roberts in a random order. If Benni gets a kick up the backside and goes back to his early form then fine. If by Christmas he's playing like he did most of last season then I'l be looking at shipping him out whilst he still holds some value. Depends which player turns up.

The other two should be cleared off the wage bill now.

I stand to be called rotten here, but I thought we were mind-numbingly boring, against a mind numbingly poor Breda side.

Just an observation about today's game, not an observation about the team that will turn out next Saturday.

To be honest much of it reminded me of how we played under Hughes - so maybe it was time for a change of manager anyway !

I'll give Ince some credit here - he seems to be putting some faith in youth - all the younger players that played all looked to be playing with confidence and without too much inhibition - much credit should go to the management team for this. Remember under Hughes we saw little of the youth team. Pick of the younger players was Treacy - still only young - so still time for him to get better (he would need to be more consistent for a regular start - but it took Duff until he was about 22 to really get the best out of him - so there is time).

Dunn was superb - and in truth the only midfield player that looked really comfortable in possession until Tugay came on. Reid was frustrating - improved as the game went on - but must be under threat for a starting place in the team. Derbs isn't a right winger - felt sorry for him.

Defence looked sound on the whole - Simpson showing promise - and Samba seems to have found that burst of pace that seemed to elude him in the second half of last season. Robinson did nothing wrong - some good kicking - and alert off his line - also more vocal with his defence than I can remember Brad.

Upfront - McCarthy improved second half - but is over weight. Roberts looked good in patches - again improved drastically in the second half (IMO I would start him against Everton alongside Santa). Fowler - first time I have seen him - definitely lost it - I can only remember him completing one pass during his spell on the pitch.

Overall the match was "pleasing" - but there was something definitely lacking. Be interesting to see his first premiership team next week - but I would imagine that Brett and MGP will both be back - and hopefully Santa - but I don't think much will change beyond that unless we buy somebody in the meantime.

Most disappointing player - besides Fowler - has to be Reid - as I had high hopes that he would recover his midfield form of a couple of seasons ago - he is still some way off that.

McCarthy

Richters

Gallacher

Fowler

However I agree we are short of a first choice partner for Santa.

You'd rather get rid of Benni than Roberts?? Hmmm, I'm sure that's a pretty unique opinion. Rigters has already gone, Gallagher was unlikely to be near the first team anyway and after today I would hope there's absolutely no chance of Fowler getting a contract.

I would rather fire Roberts off, hope Benni loses the tyres (if not he can do one in January 09) and sign someone wih pace.

Totally agree with this post. We were 4 first team players down today and we looked very comfortable for the whole game. The passing was very crisp by some players. Danny Simpson looks the real deal. There wasn't one long ball. I few great cross field passes from Samba but no hit and hope. Treacy looked very good and set up an easy header for Roberts.

Overall it was a good run out. However Reid I think needs to move on and Ooijer looked lost at the back sometimes.

Robbie Fowler was garbage he only touched the ball once.

You'd rather get rid of Benni than Roberts?? Hmmm, I'm sure that's a pretty unique opinion. Rigters has already gone, Gallagher was unlikely to be near the first team anyway and after today I would hope there's absolutely no chance of Fowler getting a contract.

I would rather fire Roberts off, hope Benni loses the tyres (if not he can do one in January 09) and sign someone wih pace.

Controversial but probably not as unique as you think.

Also at the Breda game, which I thought was a rather entertaining game, although obviously a friendly - and played at a frendly pace. I thought Breda looked rather good passing wise, but completely wilted whenever rovers put them under pressure.

For those looking for hints on the first 11 that Ince will choose, there wasn't too much of a hint gained today, what with so many players missing. Some thoughts on some of the players are as follows:

Robinson - got a good reception, although there was a nervousness within the crowd whenever he was called into action. Indeed, every time he did something right he got a lot of applause, a bit like a kid getting encouragement when they take their first steps. I don't think he'll get a more easy-going crowd than at ewood, which will hopefully help him. Little he could do about the goal, lots of players between him and the scorer, and it took a deflection. Chucking his gloves into the crowd was a nice guesture at the end, I think he knows what a big act he's following.

Simpson: Hit and miss imo. Some good passes and tackles, and some poor pieces of control and defending. Too early to judge though. If he performs like he did with his better moves, than could well be a find.

Reid - woeful passing let him down severely. I don't expect tugay-esque defence-spliting passes, but moves broke down and possession was lost regularly due to Reid's poor passing. Highlights the need for another midfielder. Reid looked more like the cart horse we saw at the start of his career, than the box to box chap of Hughes 1st 2 seasons.

Derbyshire - wasted on the right, can't really defend, and not really a great crosser. Would've been much better having 20 mins up front than wasting away on the right.

Fowler, nice touches when the ball came to him, but can't battle for it, or get it. The ball has to come fully to him - deadwood, should not be offered a contract.

Tracey - very promising. How old is he? Showed some rough edges, but fairly pacey, got in some good crosses, defended well, shot badly, man of the match imo - very encouraging.

Other than that, Roberts had a typical Roberts performance, Ooijer and Samba impressed, Warnock impressed even more, Dunn showed a real passion for rovers and Benni was frustratingly lazy with a few glimpses of skill.

Another question - who was the guy who came on, for final 5 mins? Seemed rather quick and put himself about a lot. Is he a trialist?

Overall an entertaining pre-season game, which suggested rovers had more in reserve than Breda did. Certainly the conclusions from last season remain. Roberts is a good squad player but not quite good enough, we really need a right midfielder - Derbs isn't one, we need another centre mid, and the defence bar right back is very solid.

Robinson did nothing wrong - some good kicking - and alert off his line - also more vocal with his defence than I can remember Brad.

Robinson didn't shut up the entire game. The guy has the voice of a fog horn. Maybe it's me but I can't remember ever seeing any keeper as vocal as Robinson; he was yelling instructions at the team all the time; when defending, in their half, even our corners.

Agree with the rest of the post too, but the Robinson thing suprised me a lot - vocal is the tip of the iceberg.

Archived