BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season Friendlies

celebrating our win with a night out in stoke. Strangly i am getting in everywhere with a rovers t shirt on however shorty got up chucked out of walkabout for throwing a bottle at the barman. (Please don't use that word again)ing screwed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did Benni look RevidgeBlue?

I have this feeling we might see a resurgence in Benni this season with the new manager coming in. I don't know for sure but i got the impression the relationship between Hughes and Benni got soured a bit and that may have had an impact on Benni's performances last season.

He chucked a few of his flicks in, which is normally a sign of him playing with a bit of confidence.

Gally was head and shoulders the best player in the second half, other than the goal he showed good movement and used that to get another chance. However Gally always impresses in preseason.

I was rather hoping we might have signed him back on the cheap but I suspect it was more to do with his daughter who was wearing a Rovers top. I also overheard Sav say to someone else that he can't get a Derby shirt near her. Sensible young lady!

I like that..I like that a lot :D

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Jul 15 2008, 08:53 ) 638586[/snapback]
He chucked a few of his flicks in, which is normally a sign of him playing with a bit of confidence.

Gally was head and shoulders the best player in the second half, other than the goal he showed good movement and used that to get another chance. However Gally always impresses in preseason.

Gally has always had superb technique. He just needs a kick up the backside. Getting a bumper deal when Souness was in charge was the worst thing that happened in his Rovers career. He quickly became very comfortable.

Perhaps, with a new regime he might find his niche. Now he'd be a real bonus if we can get him ticking in our side. Although we have been saying that for some time now.

You forgot to point out Rev that Morten's hair is back to very blond. He looked more like the old Morten and played with a lot more energy and conviction than we've seen in ages. Looked like those who asked him to bleach his hair again were right. Seriously the pace in the first half was fairly leisurely, presumably because the first team were being a bit careful not to get injured. Pace from the youngsters in the second half was great. Strikers in first half were below par, but I think striker is the position where you most need match sharpness to perform, so nothing to worry about yet. I'm Gally's worst critic but he looked much more interested last night than I've seen in previous appearances. However, I still don't think he's really prem quality.And Derbyshire on right wing does not work, so if/when we sell Bentley we really do need a decent replacement.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Jul 15 2008, 08:53 ) 638586[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He chucked a few of his flicks in, which is normally a sign of him playing with a bit of confidence.

Gally has always had superb technique. He just needs a kick up the backside. Getting a bumper deal when Souness was in charge was the worst thing that happened in his Rovers career. He quickly became very comfortable.

Perhaps, with a new regime he might find his niche. Now he'd be a real bonus if we can get him ticking in our side. Although we have been saying that for some time now.

Gally's problem is the same as the problems a lot of footballers have - where do you play him? He isn't quite good enough to hold down any position.

Gally's problem is the same as the problems a lot of footballers have - where do you play him? He isn't quite good enough to hold down any position.

apart from goal he seemed to get through a fair number last night. Was one point where he was the furthest back

Whilst Rev's report was a good read and I agree with much of what he says, I would suggest it's a slightly rose-tinted view of the game itself.

It seemed a typically unremarkable early pre-season game to me, played at a slow pace and lacking any decent challenges worthy of the name. In fact it was kind of two games in one as we played our first team against their's in the 1st half and our reserves against their's in the 2nd. It was interesting to see that we played 4-4-2 in both halves, rather than the 4-5-1 that Ince apparently prefers. Whether that was just down to the players we had available or not I guess time will tell.

We kept possession well in the 1st half without creating much, but Dunn's goal was the one real bit of class. The second half was actually a better game as our youngsters took the game to their opponents more, but left gaps at the back. Gally's goal came from a great cross and was a decent header, but the keeper really should have saved it rather than just palm it into the top corner. Even Gally looked slightly embarrassed that it had gone in.

Not much point assessing individuals as it's early days, and I'm not too sure how you can get excited about the players' fitness levels when they only played 45 minutes at a very slow pace, but I guess it was a useful run out.

Not much point assessing individuals as it's early days, and I'm not too sure how you can get excited about the players' fitness levels when they only played 45 minutes at a very slow pace, but I guess it was a useful run out.

I actually thought the match was played at a fast and furious pace for the first friendly, then it dawned on me this morning it would be - they only had to get through 45 mins each.

Doh!

:wstu:

Apart from his goal, how did David Dunn look? Has he lost some weight?

It would be a huge boost if he managed to recapture his best form for us.

I thought he looked lively and keen to impress. Most of his shooting was wayward in the extreme. He put one shot over the albeit small stand and into the trees behind the ground. Might have lost a bit of weight.

celebrating our win with a night out in stoke. Strangly i am getting in everywhere with a rovers t shirt on however shorty got up chucked out of walkabout for throwing a bottle at the barman. (Please don't use that word again)ing screwed.

Monday nights out in stoke are quality, Student night with loads of talent about.

Gally looked like he had a lot to prove and played very well. Also, Hodge and Judge who came on CM in the second half both had a good game, I'd like to see a bit more of them next season on the seven seater subs bench.

I'd rather see the latter 2 than Gallagher. He flatters to deceive, as far as I'm concerned. He'd be a good championship player but he's not prem quality

I agree with that to an extent. I think we've too often played him out of position on the right wing which isn't his natural position rather than as a CF. I think he could well do with a last chance to prove himself in the first team as a CF but I don't really see where his chance will come from. There are simply too many better players in that position. I'd hate to see him going out on loan again though. If he's not needed we should just sell him.

Archived