Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season Friendlies

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have we sold the team at half time?

:unsure:

No we are prob playing the new management team for the second half. :rolleyes:

Rev Blue informs me that Sav was on the team coach with his kids and also David Fevre. Also that he has seen Chris Sulley at Macc.

Well, he gets a win in his first match...we have done much worse aginst lower league opposition in these pre-season matches...well done Lads...also a second stream team in the second half...

Reid must be working on his fitness, the match report has him playing right back for both teams!!! :rolleyes:

I dunno if the cartoon "Animaniacs" made it overseas or not, but the line in the match report about Gallgher being denied in goal by Brain made me laugh...

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Have we sold the team at half time?

:unsure:

Yeh! The whole bloody lot has gone to Villa......... with Bentley thrown in for good measure. mind you we got loadsa money for them so Ince can get a new team. About £30M I heard!

Very enjoyable evening. I knew Macclesfield were a small club and ground etc. but I didn't realise they were THAT small, was like a throwback to the old 3rd division days in the early to mid 70's.

Decent Rovers following - crowd of just over 2000 - of which well over half seemed to be from Blackburn.

As Macclesfield play in dark blue, we donned the red and black halves once again which looked even better with the black Crown paints logo. Hope they go on open sale at some point as well.

We started with a very strong side (including Brad) but no Bentley or RSC. Derbyshire wide right, Roberts and McCarthy up front.

We didn't really fire first half, McCarthy hit the outside of the post with a curling shot from distance after about 35 mins and Dunn scored a delightful goal after a mazy run and neat shot into the bottom right hand corner after 42 mins. That was the only real excitement of the half although I was extremely impressed with our fitness levels, we seemed a lot sharper and hungrier than when I've seen us play friendlies at a similar stage in previous seasons.

At half time we made eleven changes including Paul Gallagher coming on. Unbelievably he scored within about ten seconds of the restart, nodding in an excellent cross from the right wing. The rest of the second half was even more of an anti climax with basically a reserve side being on but again there was nothing wrong with the motivation or levels of commitment. They got one back whilst I was texting tnr.

In the first half I thought Samba was terrific, looked like he'd been playing all summer, his game was bob on. MGP and Reid also looked a lot sharper they did for much of the time lasrt season imo.

In the second half I thought Gallagher looked a cut above the other "reserves".

What a nice man Steven Warnock is, after coming off at half time, came over to the Rovers fans on the other side of the pitch for photos and autograph signings.

The other highlight was seeing Robbie Savage on the team coach before the game with his young daughter. Apparently he got on after the others got off and subsequently appeared to be getting on famously with Dunny, and John Williams. What a great bloke he is too. Must be worth ten points having him around (unless you're Derby).

We asked him if he'd come in his 160k Derby coloured Merc and he said he had then we asked him about the latest stories about a Range Rover with diamante lettering and he said it was right about the Range Rover but not the lettering! I was rather hoping we might have signed him back on the cheap but I suspect it was more to do with his daughter who was wearing a Rovers top. I also overheard Sav say to someone else that he can't get a Derby shirt near her. Sensible young lady!

Met Paul Ince briefly outside the ground after the game and wished him luck. He seems a really bright, bubbly and likeable personality.

So not too much to be drawn from the game itself, although all 22 players certainly looked well up for it and fitness levels seemed excellent.

How did Benni look RevidgeBlue?

I have this feeling we might see a resurgence in Benni this season with the new manager coming in. I don't know for sure but i got the impression the relationship between Hughes and Benni got soured a bit and that may have had an impact on Benni's performances last season.

How did Benni look RevidgeBlue?

I have this feeling we might see a resurgence in Benni this season with the new manager coming in. I don't know for sure but i got the impression the relationship between Hughes and Benni got soured a bit and that may have had an impact on Benni's performances last season.

I didn't really think any of the front 3, JR, Benni or Derbs did much. Although Benni did hit the post with a very good shot as outlined above and Derbs was stuck out of position on the right wing AGAIN. Grrr............

Very enjoyable evening. I knew Macclesfield were a small club and ground etc. but I didn't realise they were THAT small, was like a throwback to the old 3rd division days in the early to mid 70's.

Should get youself up to Morecambe or even Lancaster City on Wednesday.

Well done for travelling to Macc on a Monday night.

With Gally being so much above the levels of the other reserves (which has been noticed regularly) it shows how much the reserves have to improve to make the first team squad.

With Gally being so much above the levels of the other reserves (which has been noticed regularly) it shows how much the reserves have to improve to make the first team squad.

Olsson clearly has promise, but whether it is 5m worth of promise as mentioned in a Sunday tabloid, I wouldn't like to say.

Forgot to say, all credit to Macclesfield, they couldn't have done more to make visiting fans feel welcome nor could they have been any more complimentary about their former manager. Wished him and us every success this season etc.

Archived