BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season Friendlies

I agree with that to an extent. I think we've too often played him out of position on the right wing which isn't his natural position rather than as a CF. I think he could well do with a last chance to prove himself in the first team as a CF but I don't really see where his chance will come from. There are simply too many better players in that position. I'd hate to see him going out on loan again though. If he's not needed we should just sell him.

Gally is suited to play directly behind two strikers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If thats the case, Hughes should have give him a go last season and pushed him forward from a traditional CM role when we looked empty in the middle of the park, particularly after Sav left in January. I don't think he's got enough flair to play behind two forwards but his movement and technique make him a decent striker running onto through balls and even holding up the play if need be. As a creative force, making quick decisions I don't think they are his best attributes.

Gally has no doubt got the talent and had all the makings of an off the front/in the hole forward. Unfortunately the game these days is based so much on pace, power and athletisism that you have to be super special to cut it when you don't have those attributes.

Gally's other shortcoming appears to be his lack of application to improve his game, hence his inconsistant form when out on loan.

No one is a bigger fan of Gally's talent than me - when he was coming through he looked like he could be the next Teddy Sheringham. Very intelligent, outstanding finisher, good vision and flair and decent in the air. But he just cannot impose himself on games - if he could demand the ball and dictate play from the front he would be a very useful player, but he just cannot do it. At a minimum he could try and compensate for his lack of bulk and pace by harassing the opposition but that doesn't seem to interest him either.

He is probably the most complete player the Academy has produced since Duff and Dunn came through, and more technically capable than many who actually play for the first team (I would say he has more natural passing ability and vision than Dunn or Reid for example) but he lets himself down very badly on the physical side of the game. Gally should look at Bentley who has cleverly worked around his lack of physical attributes by demanding the ball and working on his movement and delivery. Or at Dunn who has drastically added to the defensive side of his game in recent seasons. But Gally is getting on a bit now and it just hasn't happend.

And seeing as we now have a lot of high quality forwards and are looking to get more in realistically his chance at Rovers is over. I just hope whoever picks him up off us can motivate him and figure out a way to best use his abilities.

But he just cannot impose himself on games - if he could demand the ball and dictate play from the front he would be a very useful player, but he just cannot do it.
What's the general concensus on this? I wonder if it's simply an attitude thing?

By all accounts Gally is a "nice lad" with his priorities in the right place too - We never here any tales of him being a trouble maker or outspoken, or any of the usual rubbish that seems to go along with being a successful footballer.

Makes me wonder if he's just a pleasant quiet lad, who won't start shouting and bawling and really force his way into a game when it needs it. Sometimes it pays to be an annoying, gobby, persistent so and so. I know other players (from my youth) who suffered from similar "personality weaknesses", didn't have the raw ability that Gally has, and just fell by the wayside. Shame really.

Sorry mods,but what time is the game against Hoffenheim?are there any coverage,on tv or via the internet.im assuming Lee will have live min by min updates on the official as he did against macclesfield?thanx.

No one is a bigger fan of Gally's talent than me - when he was coming through he looked like he could be the next Teddy Sheringham. Very intelligent, outstanding finisher, good vision and flair and decent in the air. But he just cannot impose himself on games - if he could demand the ball and dictate play from the front he would be a very useful player, but he just cannot do it. At a minimum he could try and compensate for his lack of bulk and pace by harassing the opposition but that doesn't seem to interest him either.

He is probably the most complete player the Academy has produced since Duff and Dunn came through, and more technically capable than many who actually play for the first team (I would say he has more natural passing ability and vision than Dunn or Reid for example) but he lets himself down very badly on the physical side of the game. Gally should look at Bentley who has cleverly worked around his lack of physical attributes by demanding the ball and working on his movement and delivery. Or at Dunn who has drastically added to the defensive side of his game in recent seasons. But Gally is getting on a bit now and it just hasn't happend.

And seeing as we now have a lot of high quality forwards and are looking to get more in realistically his chance at Rovers is over. I just hope whoever picks him up off us can motivate him and figure out a way to best use his abilities.

Quality analysis JBN.

Gallagher is probably the best finisher at the club, in the old days when you had a finisher playing along side a target man he would have been successful, his movement off the ball in the box is great and he's a natural at putting the ball in the net.

The problem is nowadays nobody plays that sort of game and players like Gally who can't seem to adapt to playing in other positions and other formations have gone out of date.

His lack of work rate, pure physical effort and pace over medium distances when he's not in the box make him a liability most of the time, that's why he's not stood out when he's been on loan at a lower level, it's a shame because he's quite talented.

Archived