BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I for one am quite happy, we needed someone who has something to prove, and wants to move forward.

who he gets as his backroom team and who he signs is very important.

It should be a very intresting season.

The few vox pops, emails and texts I've heard on SSN and Talksport all seem to be from Rovers fans who are delighted at Ince's appointment. Who are these people? Everbody I know is either resigned, dissapointed or gutted and the poll on here would suggest the "delighted" are in a considerably small minority.

I mean the Laudrup v Ince poll.

I voted very optimistic, here are the reasons:

- Born Leader

- Winner mentality (Will have no problem motivating the players before the big clashes against scum, reds and wham) I also think he will motivate the players enough before important cup matches etc. Hughes did have a certain problem there.

- Great experience from Managers such as Fergie and playing in Internatzionale.

- He has been a player at the top level himself and WILL know what players to look for.

- Played attacking football ! I quite missed this under Hughes' spell.

- Will give us more attention in the media!

Macclesfield_Ince_thumbs_L.jpg

Thumbs up to JW and this appointment! It shows guts!

I am glad that the Club didn't appoint BFS or McClaren but I greet the Club's new appointment with some concerns.

I have read past comments which accuse Ince of "arrogance" but looking around at the people involved in the game arrogance (along with ego) is everywhere - amongst players, managers and referees. If arrogance is complimented by a drive to suceed - are these not some of the requirements for success?

Sparky and Ince were similar characters on the pitch and I hope that Ince will prove to be similar to Hughes in character off the pitch too.

It's a gamble for the Board but then sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate!

I will give Ince a chance.

A controversial, arrogant, big-headed, loud mouth can be successful (see below).

I voted very optimistic, here are the reasons:

- Born Leader

- Winner mentality (Will have no problem motivating the players before the big clashes against scum, reds and wham) I also think he will motivate the players enough before important cup matches etc. Hughes did have a certain problem there.

- Great experience from Managers such as Fergie and playing in Internatzionale.

- He has been a player at the top level himself and WILL know what players to look for.

- Played attacking football ! I quite missed this under Hughes' spell.

- Will give us more attention in the media!

Macclesfield_Ince_thumbs_L.jpg

Thumbs up to JW and this appointment! It shows guts!

Yeah.....just like Bryan Robson, Chris Waddle, Ian Rush,

Stuart Pierce and David Platt etc etc! :rolleyes: ... and best example of all Bobby bloody Charlton! The collective euphoric rush has blinded you all to reallity and the very real possibility of failure.

Stuart Pierce and David Platt etc etc! :rolleyes: ... and best example of all Bobby bloody Charlton! The collective euphoric rush has blinded you all to reallity and the very real possibility of failure.

The collective negativity has blinded you to failure and the very real possibility of success. :rolleyes:

I bet he will be one of the bookies favorites for the first chop of the season!

Might be worth a few quid...

I feel so bad about this. Gonna cry myself to sleep.

On the other hand, I really hope he proves me wrong. I would love to look like a fool,

and eat my words !

:rover:

Prepared to give the man the benefit of the doubt. But I am worried now that the board are going back to 94-95 season when they wern't prepared to invest to take the club forward. Hope I am proved wrong. I will be there next season.

The collective negativity has blinded you to failure and the very real possibility of success. :rolleyes:

Sorry blue but I cannot understand how rational thought can evaporate in an excitable collective atmosphere so quickly and be replaced by blind optimism ....even when given decidedly uninspiring information. It's like that daft group therapy that the septics are so fond of.

The collective euphoric rush has blinded you all to reallity and the very real possibility of failure.

I know what the cost of failure are Drog. I also know the risks involved. However until it starts going pear shaped before our eyes we have to support the guy.

There certainly is the possibility of failure but then you can't let that stop you getting out of bed in the morning can you.

:rolleyes:

THE WAITING IS OVER - TIME TO THINK POSITIVE - TIME TO BELIEVE

Right. Personally Ince wasn't my top choice. Not in my top 3 to be honest. Most people have accepted this announcement fairly rationally. However some of the comments made by a handful supporters on here are downright laughable. You'd think we'd employed someone with a track record for failure or a suspected mass murderer judging by one or two reactions. Are people really advocating not going down to Ewood just because we've employed Paul Ince as boss?

Most decisions in life can go both ways. No-one know how things are going to turn out. However to be critical of Rovers and the manager before the team have even kicked a ball is ridiculous. If we're struggling badly come Christmas then I could understand it but the guy hasn't even taken charge yet. I think it's time to re-assess our position and look at things in a more positive light.

Rovers have had 40+ candidates interested in the job. From these candidates they feel that Paul Ince is the best man available who wanted the job. People can look at CV's on wikipedia all they want but the fact is we are not privy to the interviews and discussions held by Rovers and the candidates. We don't know if Laudrup wanted a £50mill transfer kitty or a clause to speak to any club who comes in for him in the future. We don't know if Allardyce said his first transfer target would be Kevin Davies. The only thing we know for sure is that JW and the club believe that of everyone they spoke to Paul Ince is the best man they could get to manage the club in it's current situation.

So what has Ince done to deserve this chance I hear some cry. Well firstly he must have made a damn good impression in his interviews with his ideas and general self-presentation. Secondly we know he can manage a football team. Yes it's at a lower level but he's still go an impressive record. He saved Macclesfield from what looked an inevitable drop after they trailed the rest of the whole of the football league by 7 points. He then won the third division title with MK Dons amassing 97 points and losing only 7 league games all season. During this season they won the Football League Trophy, along the way knocking out clear Divsion One league winners Swansea over 2 legs. Now although Ince's career is relatively short, if you think about it it's obvious that he can organise a team and also inspire a team to perform. I'd rather have a manager who has shown what he has shown so far, than one who has done nothing but has a certificate from some FA coaching course.

Ah, but can he manager big name players and command respect. I don't know. However when people like Hughes, Klinsmann and Van Basten started their managerial careers we didn't know then either. What we do know is that Ince was a very good player and a winner. He played for Manchester United, Inter Milan and Liverpool. He won league titles, FA Cups and European competitions. He played over 50 times for England including several as captain. He's had a career better than most players that Rovers have, or are ever likely to have, under his tenure. People question his arrogance as a negative. This may be so but it's not reared it's head in any news stories that I'm aware of so far in his managerial career. It's possible that the boy from Ilford has grown up and matured. The comments about Rovers being a 'two bob club' many years ago are regrettable but people say and do stupid things in life. It's hardly disparaging enough to hold against him.

You look at the farce that occurs at clubs like Newcastle and Man City and sometimes you really do appreciate the fact that for whatever reason we support Rovers. They are, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, a proper club. Several people knock JW and the 'board but it's no coincidence that Graeme Souness and Mark Hughes both said he was superb to work with. This week we have had Laudrups agent saying the JW was the best chairman he's ever dealt with. If that sounds rather cynical, the words of MK Dons chairman Pete Winkleman do not. Speaking on Sky after losing his manager to another club, he praised the way that Rovers have been completely above board and have behaved perfectly. Our club is currently run by intelligent people who have it's best interests at heart. As mentioned earlier if they think that Ince is the best man, and they know far, far more about the ins and outs of the candidates than we ever will, then that should be some reassurance for us.

The vast majority of us know what BRFC is about. We know that we are probably punching above our weight. We know that for us to have a bad season or two and drop down a league could signal an end to our dining at the top table. Ultimately we know that our best players will probably move on unless they're at the end of their careers. Bentley was going when Hughes was still here. If Santa goes too thats probably not down to a change of manager. if Ince is a success then he'll be off to. That will always be an issue now for Rovers and we'll have to live with that when the time comes. As long as he does it with a bit of class and decency (all eyes turn to Mr Bentley) then we can't grumble. Long term I hope Ince goes on the become the next English national manager. That we we know he'll have done a great job for our club.

So come on everyone. Stop whinging about who we could have had and look forward. Around Christmas myself, Rev and others were telling people to stop 'burying their head in the sand' as Rovers stumbled from one mediocre performance to the next but miraculously picked up results . The football wasn't great. Ince is known to play 'high-tempo attacking football'. We'll hopefully have a few new players in come mid-August. A new era is starting at Ewood. The last two eras have resulted generally in great times and success. There's no way of knowing if this one will. However as fans we need to ensure that Ince and the team are given the full support of everyone who claims to be a fan of Rovers. That we we can all strive to shove the words of Darren Lewis and the other southern based journalists right up their backsides.

sfninc111.jpg

Might be worth a few quid...

I feel so bad about this. Gonna cry myself to sleep.

On the other hand, I really hope he proves me wrong. I would love to look like a fool,

and eat my words !

:rover:

Yeah me too brfc4ever.

...... btw which bookie is offering best odds on a sacking and relegation double? :tu:

hi all,

some people have to realise ok we could have gone for Laudrup how would people feel if at xmas a crucial time of the year for teams who stays up and who goes down just say a Barcelona/Real Madrid made an approach for him and he left us up s***creek without a paddle how would people feel then we would be in real trouble and needing to find a manager quick a rushed appt. so that they could get their trsfr targets in it could have turned out very bad for the club even the dreaded r word then we go on about tenk cate yes would have been a good choice but like Laudrup has baggage which I have to say is totally appalling from Roman "all my money is dodgy anyway" Abramovich at the end of the day both had baggage would not have been good for the club and also would you lot rather have BFS or wally with the brolly " the Guvnor" was the only appt. he could make so before judging him lets get behind him I also have some new chants for our beloved "Guvnor"

Incey Wincey's "Barmy Army"

or how about

Paul "The Guvnor's" Blue n white army

hopefully we can get some good chants going I also know he will be a success as his assistant Ray Mathias I and him share the same surname so providing he brings him along he will def. be a success just think 2 Mathias's on the same side!

Laters all.

Just posted on 606

"comment by assensai (U10061673)

posted 11 Minutes Ago

I've watched Paul Ince's career with some interest. Yes, as a player, he was a bit of a "tiger" but, he was a superb midfielder. Arguably, the best ever. As a manager, I've been lucky enough to watch MK Dons and the quality of football they have played far exceeded expectations within League Two.

Paul Ince has the "nouse" of acquiring the right players to blend into a team without spending a fortune. Blackburn fans may well be in for a treat and better football than they've been used too. My money is on them finishing higher than M City. If he has some money, who knows what he could achieve. Personally, if I were Paul Ince, I'd wait for a more attractive club (like the Liverpool clubs or Spurs, all of whom are managerially "treading water") but, at least, he'll liven up the PL.

OK, the PL could be the best in the world but at least half the games are extremely boring. I think Scolari is a bigger risk; yes, he's good at International management.... but doing it week in-week out? Totally untested. Only guarantee for Chelski fans is that Scolari will have a fantastic pension. He said so himself.

All-in-all, it's shaping up for another interesting season, especially with Ronaldo moving to Madrid, eh?"

Sorry blue but I cannot understand how rational thought can evaporate in an excitable collective atmosphere so quickly and be replaced by blind optimism ....even when given decidedly uninspiring information. It's like that daft group therapy that the septics are so fond of.

I know what you are saying,i too remember Ince`s comments regarding Rovers.

One thing we can say about BFS and WWB is yes we can expect to stay in and around the top 10 and watch the same dreary predictable footy we have had to suffer (except for the odd game or two) for the last how many years.

However with Ince we could end up watching attractive football at Ewood that most of us would like to see Rovers play and maybe still stay in and around the same position?

If we can fill Ewood with people who want to watch good attacking football for a reasonable price,then surely that has to be a good thing?

Yes it can go t1ts up or Ince could be a roaring success,being someone who sees a glass `half full` rather than `half empty`i for one hope he is a roaring success and will be right behind him come start of the season.

Many people on here were willing to forgive Shearer for the way he left Rovers,maybe it is time to forgive Ince too?

the chairman was pressured into giving the job to Paul Ince by the Premier League because their has never been a black "English" manager. Oh well, he might be good.

tony gale mic wanted ince for this very reason

the chairman was pressured into giving the job to Paul Ince by the Premier League because their has never been a black "English" manager. Oh well, he might be good.

No offence but codswallop! :)

No way would JW be pressured into anything he didn`t want to do.

No use crying, Paul's now the man. I'm confident he'll do good. Even if Bentley and RSC leave for big money, I think we could get into the top 10 with a few crafty signings. Some managers just have that knack of hitting the ground running (.e.g. Hughes, Klinsmann) despite no/little experience. I may be wrong, but didn't Clough go from crappy Hartlepool, with an office full of buckets to catch the water from a leaking roof to Derby County, who were the equivilent of say Charlton nowadays? I'm not saying we're going to win the Champions league next season, and that Clough was a different era, but sometimes things can just click.

It was a bold and interesting choice, and I applaud John Williams and the others for not picking a safe option like McClaren or BFS. Things would have gotten dull and stale with them. Also nice to see an English manager from the lower leagues given a chance.

Archived