BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the stats from Ince´s so far short-lived managerial career...Soccerbase - Ince

Club Dates managed P W L D

Macclesfield 23-10-2006 25-06-2007 35 14 13 8

MK Dons 25-06-2007 21-06-2008 55 33 10 12

That is undeniably impressive. Out of 90 games Ince has won 47...over 50%. Not only that but he took over a truly awful Macclesfield team heading for the Conference and won more games than he lost.

The problem of course is that these were all were two League Two teams. The record so far certainly suggests that Ince has plenty going for him as a manager. Whether that is enough to make him a success at Premiership level is another matter...

He's not Sam Allardyce or Wally so he already has a head start.

It's a gamble, but then we have to take gambles in order to progress. There's been a lot of good work done at the club over the past 7/8 years, appointing Allardyce or Wally would've been a retrigrade step.

This is a bold, progressive appointment, so I'm optimistic.

No, I think devasted sums up my feelings very well

To be honest when you are a top half team gunning for a Champions League spot this appointment simply isn't good enough.

This smacks of "English Manager" syndrome and it sickens me to the stomach. When the other people supposedly interested in his services were Leicester, Derby and Wigan (prior to signing Bruce) then I fully expect a tough relegation battle next year.

You hire a lower league coach you should be prepared for lower league football.

Yeah, Bill Shankly, Martin O'Neill, Brian Clough and Harry Redknapp have all been rubbish haven't they? What have they all achieved?

Laudrup probably wanted these clauses that were mentioned, Billic was busy in Euro 2008, until a few days ago, Perrin was rubbish at Portsmouth, and Houllier may not have been interested.

I must admit that Ince wouldn't have been my first choice. We finished 7th in the Premier League last season, have had European football for the past two seasons and appeared in three semi-finals under Hughes. The players all remarked how they enjoyed the methods he and his coaching team brought to the training ground. All were qualified to the highest level and were at the progressive end of the coaching scale.

We have replaced Hughes with a manager who isn't qualified and whose coaching abilities remain an unknown quantity. MK Dons fans believe that Ray Matthias was the man who coached the players - Matthias has been around for years but never risen above the Third and Fourth Division as a player, coach or manager.

On the plus side they have worked well together in the bottom division but then the football at that level is light years away from the Premier League.

The players will soon work out if they believe Ince is good for their careers when they see him at work on the training ground. They will want a manager who can build on what Hughes has achieved and if we find a number wanting away then that would be a cause for concern.

Ultimately, Ince will stand or fall by results. Someone on this board likened his appointment to that of Jim Smith and that he would bring the same type of attacking football. I just hope that people remember that we spent most of Smith's first season at the club fighting relegation. We can't expect Ince to get the team into the European places next season. As well as getting to grips with the job and working with new players in a higher division, he will also have to spend time away from the club to work on his coaching qualifications. Personally, I'd be satisfield with a position between 14th and 11th next season.

If Ince gets off to a poor start he is going to need the fans to get behind him. However, he is a figure who is already dividing the opinion of fans and, sadly, I fear if we do start poorly it won't be long before there are calls for his head.

He's not Sam Allardyce or Wally so he already has a head start.

It's a gamble, but then we have to take gambles in order to progress. There's been a lot of good work done at the club over the past 7/8 years, appointing Allardyce or Wally would've been a retrigrade step.

This is a bold, progressive appointment, so I'm optimistic.

Totally agree with this Bryan

I'm in the 'Prepared to wait and see brigade' - I expected us to struggle next season anyway with Hughes at the realm and I still think we will with Ince. However, I do feel Ince will be a success and develop with us - IMO he has that willing mentality as Hughes did and his background and playing pedigree can only serve him well (as long as he doesn't adopt the 451) - again we needed something fresh and In think the Board will not have looked at this lightly

IMO the biggest joke in all this has to be the Premier League - as yet again what is the point of having rules in the first place.

I dont know where this should go but Simon Garner says Ince's goal should be to keep us in the Premiership this season!?!?!

That was always the primary goal.

Souness said it. Hughes said it.

We just don't like to believe it. Once we do survive we can then see where we can finish.

Good appointment IMO.

What makes me laugh is the big love in for Shearer, who has no management experience, has not even bothered to get any and just sits in a warm comfy studio stating the obvious. Yet when Ince is mentioned, people don;t want him due to lack of experience, his ego and comments he made about Rovers 500 years ago. All of which also describe Shearer.

Ince was prepared to get his hands dirty with Mac where he did a fantastic job, he them moved clubs to MK Dons where he did another fantastic job. He has the will to win and will know the pressure he is under to succeed. Yes big Sam or the brolly would have been a safer appointment but where is the fun in that!!!

:rover: before i read what other posters imput,mine is inceywinceyspider is a TOPMAN,captianed his country,learnt his trade in the lower leagues and deserves a chance to prove he can mix it with the big boys.ince may have slagged the club off before as a player,but he is only saying what the majority off football folk think.i hope he can persuade santa cruz that being a full time player at ewood is better than being a part time player elsewhere,sell bentley as the fans will never forgive him now and stamp some off his infectous enthusasim on the squad. :brfcsmilie:

Guest Kamy100

I think that some people are negative this appointment because they think that it should have been either Laudrup or Bilic. Well Bilic was a non-starter, never expressed an interest in the job and remains with Croatia. Laudrup wanted the job but alleged clauses he wanted effectively ruled him out so it was a choice between BFS, McLaren and Ince, from that shortlist we definiately got the right man.

I'm in the might be good bracket. It could all go horribly wrong but equally he could turn out to be brilliant for our club, the right guy, at the right time , in the right place, just like the last 2 appointments have been. I had a feeling that it would go his way from the start when I first knew Hughes was going. Was very worried for a time while it looked like we could be looking at experience of survival rather than a change, and the potential excitement it brings. I know we can't afford relegation so it has to be an ok appointment at least but I don't think anyone can guarantee to avoid relegation even those like allardyce who've done it before. And Ince has a reputation for liking free flowing attacking football, whilst knowing how to defend. So it could, just could be great.

Good appointment IMO.

What makes me laugh is the big love in for Shearer, who has no management experience, has not even bothered to get any and just sits in a warm comfy studio stating the obvious. Yet when Ince is mentioned, people don;t want him due to lack of experience, his ego and comments he made about Rovers 500 years ago. All of which also describe Shearer.

Ince was prepared to get his hands dirty with Mac where he did a fantastic job, he them moved clubs to MK Dons where he did another fantastic job. He has the will to win and will know the pressure he is under to succeed. Yes big Sam or the brolly would have been a safer appointment but where is the fun in that!!!

+1 .... my thoughts exactly.

ince wasnt my 1st choice, but now he's been appointed i am happy to give him my full support.

i'm a little fearful about the coming season, all the same, and a lot will depend on the staff he brings in.

hopefully, he'll lay my fears to rest in the next couple of weeks.

:rover: glad i wrote my piece before i read this crap.we are BLACKBURN ROVERS not manure/arsenal/liverpoo/newcastle.to suceed as a club we have to take chances,JW has appointed one manager and got it right,who is to say the 2nd will not be better.I AM GOING TO HAVE GREAT ENJOYMENT BRINGING THIS THREAD UP IN THE NEXT 3 SEASONS,just to annoy you shortsighted LOSERS :brfcsmilie:

This is a reassuring article.

He embraces all the sports sciences, - he apparently used them at MK Dons. In a seperate article, the LT reports that Ince will bring in Ray Matthias and a coach with prem experience.

good read, sounds like exciting times ahead. He seems to have earn't some decent respect where ever he's been. So the appointment craps all over the boring or safe choices like wally and bluetooth for me.

Less than 3% of Rovers fans think hes the top man!

Thats a small amount, surely this should be a lot higher.

8 of em! So thats Ince , Mellelieu (only cos he's a black fella), the knob from the Mirror and another 5! :rolleyes:

I must say the thought of Ince and matey from the Mirror cracking open the expensive champagne last night at some over priced restaurant to celebrate 'job done' makes my blood boil.

Ince is a gamble and I think he's a very good one.

How many times am I going to read from Ince's new found supporters that his appointments going to be a gamble?

Lets have another poll entitled ........... 'Who thinks BRFC can afford to gamble with Prem survival'?

After sleeping on it ive become optimistic and i feel right behind Ince now, weve got to give him the support from the start right! therefore he has something to build on.

PAUL INCE'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!

Is anyone doing a whipround for a new designer suit and earring for the guy?

Archived