BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

Well he was a League Two Player, was in fact league Two Player of the season and several chapionship clubs wanted to sing him. It would be fairer to say he is a League One/Championship standard.

The main emotion Im haveing about this is curiosity. Ince must know he is staking his reputation to an extent on this. I think it could work. All he has to do to justify the very small expenditure is be a decent option on the bench. Reid's knackered, the Axe is a bit rubbish. This guy could be decent.

He failed in the Championship not so long ago though. League Two/League One is probably more accurate.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He failed in the Championship not so long ago though. League Two/League One is probably more accurate.

The youngest captain at Wolves ever?

I wouldn't call that a terrible failure.

He probably left for MK Dons because he imagined them to be ahead of Wolves in a few years (Not a bad shout)

He started 28 games for Hull in the Championship and Wolves before that, how does that show that he "failed" in the Championship? I suppose being the youngest ever Wolves captain was a sign of failure too?

He started 28 games for Hull in the Championship and Wolves before that, how does that show that he "failed" in the Championship? I suppose being the youngest ever Wolves captain was a sign of failure too?

And boy didn't they do well for making him captain! both of those clubs thought he was that good they got rid of him for free.He found his level in the bottom division, gets one over on Ince Becomes a premiership footballer!

Tosh!

You dont know the clubs circumstances and the reasons why he left, but the fact remains he played for Wolves for SIX years, when he left he left for a championship club, only in the last TWO years of his career has he been at league two and now playing in league one.

Andrews has admitted that in his younger days he let himself down and only when he has played for MK Dons has he been focussed and developed as a player (influence of ince as manager maybe?)

It could be a masterstroke by Ince, (could be another Super Atko - not spectacular but does the job), or it could be the worst of his managerial reign at Rovers so far. But either way I've not seen him play, other than having just seen the corker of a goal he scored for MK Dons early this season, so I'll not judge him until then.

Well lets reserve judgement until after he plays four or five games. The way you guys are going on it is as if he will just fall apart the moment he steps on the pitch. In my eyes if he supplies decent cover of an equal standard or higher to that of the Axe, Bruno Berner, Zurab then it is justifiable in my eyes. If he does better than that it is an unqualified success.

Willing to wait and see on this one.. my initial thoughts are not great.. but.. Ince rates him, he was played out of position at Wolves, he will have something to prove, seems to play with passion and he may just do a steady job for us..

I am hoping to be suprised.. but we will see

He probably left for MK Dons because he imagined them to be ahead of Wolves in a few years (Not a bad shout)

WOW. A new epoch has been reached in bias on this messageboard.

No offence, Bucky, but if you applied that much disregard for logic and facts in real life, you'd be sectioned before long. However, I would agree with you that Andrews could be good enough to play in the Premier League. Ultimately, I do not believe we really needed him with so many CMs. However, the snobbery of people suggesting that he isn't good enough is short-sighted. IF technique deficient players like Mokoena, Djimi Traore, Robbie Savage, Chris Marsden etc can get games in the Premier League and do okay, so, definitely, can Andrews, if he applies himself.

WOW. A new epoch has been reached in bias on this messageboard.

No offence, Bucky, but if you applied that much disregard for logic and facts in real life, you'd be sectioned before long. However, I would agree with you that Andrews could be good enough to play in the Premier League. Ultimately, I do not believe we really needed him with so many CMs. However, the snobbery of people suggesting that he isn't good enough is short-sighted. IF technique deficient players like Mokoena, Djimi Traore, Robbie Savage, Chris Marsden etc can get games in the Premier League and do okay, so, definitely, can Andrews, if he applies himself.

I am a financial analyst. I hold no regard for logic and facts :huh:

Well that's longer than you waited to give your opnion on Ince! Guilty until proven innocent seems to be your philosphy.

Correct. Thats cos it works out to be more accurate than the other way around.

Anyway accepting that we he have just signed Grella and Newhouse when and where exactly will Andrews play? Or is his role simply to be Ince's eyes and ears in the dressing room?

In my opinion (and from a quick read of previous posts I already know there are some who seem to oppose this belief, there is no need to repeat yourselves), this was an unnecessary signing and a complete and total waste of money (no matter how little the cost, it's also a waste of wages). Had we only had 2 or 3 central midfielders then gambling on a League One player on the cheap may have been worthwhile but what is the point when we already have Mokoena, Grella, Vogel, Reid, Emerton (looked more than comfortable in midfield at end of last season), Tugay, Dunn, Villanueva plus a couple of young lads (Judge, Hodge) who Ince seems keen to try out.

If Andrews is good enough to be above all of them in the pecking order for the first team midfield then so be it but otherwise we simply don't need another cover/backup player in midfield! So much for wise/careful spending. Let's offer £12mil and £100,000 a week wages for Pennant next! At least he plays in a position where we don't have a satisfactory first team player to begin with.

EDIT: Goes without saying that I HOPE Keith Andrews is the new Steven Gerrard!!!

Are you Paul Ince in disguise?

If Ince thinks that Andrews is a priority signing... then guess what he is!

Did you moan and groan when Bruno Berner was signed? Enkleman?, Henchoz?

We do not have a player like Andrews at the club, Ince has signed a lot of players, more will be here, lets allow the manager to manage.

percy I think my post indicates I am more than willing to give him a chance: "If Andrews is good enough to be above all of them in the pecking order for the first team midfield then so be it". I just stated my belief that he isn't good enough to get in the first team in front of all the players we already have.

imy9 yes I did question the sense of signing Berner, and have been proved correct on that one so thanks for bringing it up ;). Enckelman was necessary because we didn't have a satisfactory second choice goalkeeper but in this case we have satisfactory sixth choice midfielders! Similarly Henchoz was signed when we were short of defenders but again that doesn't apply here. So what is the relevance of Enckelman, Henchoz and Berner?

Did you moan and groan when Bruno Berner was signed? Enkleman?, Henchoz?

We do not have a player like Andrews at the club, Ince has signed a lot of players, more will be here, lets allow the manager to manage.

I think you'll find that the credentials of those players looked a bit better than KA:

Berner - international coming from playing in a club competing in Europe

Enkleman - international, experience in the PL

Henchoz- international, experience in europe and the premiership with a big 4 team

Although I agree with your second point: Lets give him a chance and see how he does. Samba came from the reserves of a german team and look how he turned out!

I think you'll find that the credentials of those players looked a bit better than KA:

Henchoz- international, experience in europe and the premiership with a big 4 team

Although I agree with your second point: Lets give him a chance and see how he does. Samba came from the reserves of a german team and look how he turned out!

A bit s**t at times!

Only joking, im personally not impressed but seeing as Ince is the fella who has played for the top teams in the world, and is managing a premiership team, im willing to let him decide who he deems a good enough player to cut it in the PL :)

Well I agree there's no harm in giving him a try but you can't compare this to any signing. Samba was from the reserves of a German team at a much higher level and was young and untested. Andrews has been tested. Many times. In all four leagues I think. And has seemed to find a good level for himself in League Two and possibly League One.

Bruno Berner joined us aged 30, having been a SQUAD player for his club Basle in Switzerland, he has 16 caps from 2001-4 when the country was going through a horrendous period, and he won 16 caps in FOUR years. Swiss football is ridiculously poor and he was a squad player! TWO appearances in TWO years- great investment.

Henchoz was a past it defender who we signed as cover when we did not need him, 11 appearances in TWO years is proof of this.

Enkleman was and is a poor goal keeper who we paid around £250K for and he managed TWO apppearances in FOUR years.

The point that I am making is that the above players were clearly not needed and had huge question marks over them BUT as they were Hughes signings they went under the radar.

Ince is not getting the chance and we sign a midfield player who is clearly going to be a first team player and I guarrantee 100% he will make more appearances this season then the above three players in one single season.

We have in central midfield Dunn, Moekena, Grella, Andrews, Reid, Tugay, Vogel.

Who is to say that we will be playing with 2 central midfield players this season?

percy I think my post indicates I am more than willing to give him a chance: "If Andrews is good enough to be above all of them in the pecking order for the first team midfield then so be it". I just stated my belief that he isn't good enough to get in the first team in front of all the players we already have.

Sorry, wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just overhead John Lennon on the radio. I'll get my coat. :mellow:

If Ince thinks he can play a part for us this season then so be it. I'll make my own mind up once I've seen him play a few times, but it's hardly as if we've blown a fortune on him to fill a position we have no other cover in.

Have to admit, the thought of someone to push Reid & Mokoena for a place in midfield is appealing and given that he's getting the chance of a lifetime, I think he'd be stupid not to try his very best to make a go of it. If he doesn't or can't then we're hardly any worse off than previously, save the transfer fees, etc.

I don't see him making a big impact and it will probably be a waste of money, but if it is under a million then it is worth the gamble if Ince thinks he is good enough. Ince should know central midfielders and also knows this players well, so have to trust him. Had the fee been around the 2 million that was being mentioned then I would have been totally against it, but if it doesn't work out at this price then it isn't a huge loss.

i totally agree with you mate, if its an amount like 500k and he messes up its a not a huge loss. But it doesnt always meen spending big money will get you better players. it helps but just look at chelsea with schevencko and wrightphillips.i meen the last time we spent big money (i wont mention his name for obvious resons)he was a flop

Archived