[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just going by the facts.

Keith Andrews: 0 Caps for Ireland

Aaron Lennon: 9 Caps for England 0 Goals

SWP: 19 Caps for England 4 Goals

Don't get me wrong, im willing to give Andrews a chance. Im sure he will do a good job. But he isn't a right midfielder.

We really do need a right midfielder before the window closes if we expect to provide Santa Cruz with the service he had last season.

By that basis you saying that Carton Palmer caped 18 times by England was a better player than Matt LeTiss capped 8 times. Not really facts are they? Anyway my point is you'ce been continually down on Andrews, he IS about to be a Rovers player, time to get behind him.

I was very negative towards this from the start, but have gradually turned around to look at it in a positive light. One of the reasons for that is how long this has been going on. The fact that the deal has hit snags, that Ince is surely aware of how unpopular this move his, how it may look to people with the "lack of ambition" slogan etc, but that Ince still has pursued him fiercely tells me a lot. It tells me that he really does believe he can add something to BRFC; more than the many other players available out there. It seems to me that Ince, much like Hughes really, likes high-energy midfielders, ideally with a lot of authority. Much like himself as a player really.

It also needs to be put into perspective; it's an initial outlay of something like £500k-£750k, and coming from League Two won't command very high wages. It's a squad player being signed, who could perhaps offer is something extra. Ince knows him better than anyone and believes he can add something to the team, whether that is as a reliable backup or something more remains to be seen. If he doesn't work out we won't pay the addons, and won't have lost very much. Others have mentioned Henchoz and Berner; while Berner wasn't the most popular guy, Hughes never received the kind of slating for signing those two (Apart from by rover6). Ince has shown that he wants to have youth play a bigger part, but you still need a bunch of established players. If we'll be seeing more of 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 etc. then it makes sense to sign more central midfielders.

Grella and Andrews as replacements for Mokoena (Or maybe Vogel?) and Reid; I think that's a pretty good deal, and improves the team. Mokoena has had a good start to the season, and some good games in the past, but he's too limited and inconsistent. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I doubt it. Reid had a great year and a half when he was injury free, but I've not seen any signs that he'll get back to that level. Being out for so long with back, knee and hamstring (?) injuries would take a toll on anyone. Remember, that even at his best his primary asset was his engine, his drive, and powerful running. I've not seen Andrews play, but it would seem he's a similar type of player.

Not sure about how much they have left on their contracts, but were we to sell Reid and Mokoena we could probably receive £2-3m for them as well.

By that basis you saying that Carton Palmer caped 18 times by England was a better player than Matt LeTiss capped 8 times. Not really facts are they? Anyway my point is you'ce been continually down on Andrews, he IS about to be a Rovers player, time to get behind him.

Thats down to the manager in charge. I remember Terry Venables was critisised for not playing Matthew Le Tissier and Graham Taylor was just plain rubbish. Carlton Palmer! :lol:

If Ince has any sense, he will look over past records of David Bentley's effect at Right Midfield and his correlation with goals scored by Roque Santa Cruz and other players, not to mention goals scored himself.

He would then recognise that Reid is not a Right Midfielder and then look over Brett Emerton's past time at Right Midfield, and how poor he was. I dont mind Emerton playing some games at Right Midfield this season. But to completely depend on him for the whole season at Right midfield is just crazy!

He will then surely recognise our need for a out and out decent Right Midfielder.

After last nights performance i'll ease off Ince and allow him this signing, but Ince has to end the the idea signing of Robbie Fowler especially after witnessing Carlos last night.

To me it apprears the principle thing Ince is after is competition. He is building a varied and talented squad where peope have to fight for their place. Fowler, like Villaneuva, like Grella, like Simpson, would provide a different horse for a different course and show no one can walk in to the side.

I think we might be moving away from the Hughes model of 14-15 core players who rotate very little, to a flexible 23 man squad. Chopping and changing too much and without reason causes problems - Benitez and Ranieri know that - but slowly over time swapping players in and out gradually to include those who perform is sensible and effective. I don't think you will see wholesale changes in the Premiersip or FA Cup. But equally you won't see the same guys on the pitch for months when things are going badly for us.

Hughes percivered with the likes of Pedersen, Nelsen and McCarthy last seson despite being very poor. I think Ince will not do this. He will look to apply pressure early to those who are not on their game take them out of the side and let them rest (fitness is such a big part of these things) and then come back to win their place back.

Thats down to the manager in charge. I remember Terry Venables was critisised for not playing Matthew Le Tissier and Graham Taylor was just plain rubbish. Carlton Palmer! :lol:

If Ince has any sense, he will look over past records of David Bentley's effect at Right Midfield and his correlation with goals scored by Roque Santa Cruz and other players, not to mention goals scored himself.

He would then recognise that Reid is not a Right Midfielder and then look over Brett Emerton's past time at Right Midfield, and how poor he was. I dont mind Emerton playing some games at Right Midfield this season. But to completely depend on him for the whole season at Right midfield is just crazy!

He will then surely recognise our need for a out and out decent Right Midfielder.

True, but then MaClaren was in charge for most of SWP's and Lennons caps so...Not arguing with the need to bring in a right winger, just dont think that because Andrews has signed it means we wont. I trust that Ince understands the need hence wy he is looking at Ireland, Pennant and Joaquin.

By the way Tugay is still one of the best passer's of a ball in the EPL, despite his old age.

I'm not disputing that, it's the fact he can't run anymore. Against a side like Grimsby his quality shines through as the game is played at his pace - he looked a different class last night. Against the athletes of the Premiership though it looks like he's standing still.

I'll go further than that and say I'll trust Ince on this one - he was, after all, one of the best midfielders in the world in his day, so I suspect he knows much more about the position than a few bods on here who don't seem to be happy based on Andrews' previous club's standing.

"Ohhh, we can't sign him, he played for a division 2 side" :rolleyes:

Grow up and get behind our player. If after time he turns out to be a bad signing, then have a moan.

Thank god for joeeybignose, jonnolad and some of the others that are willing to trust the manager!

Some of the moaning is unbelievable! He hasn't even signed, never mind kicked a ball for us yet!!!

He must know a good player when he see's one and if he was still with MK D then he would have been a Div1 player, as he helped them to promotion, so this Div 2 rubbish is just a cheap shot anyway!

What did you say when Duff signed? He's an Irish part time no hoper???!!!

He's also an international, but that appears to have been forgotten, or does that not count anymore?

The fact that Ince was a pretty good midfielder and I assume know's one when he see's one must merit something surely? And he made him his last captain, that also helps doesn't it?

After what I saw against Hull we NEED players like Grella and Andrews, I don't give a stuff where he came from TBH, £500K is DEF' worth a punt, we've spent many times that on complete donkeys in the past, and some of MH's signing were complete pish!

Give the guy a chance, if you're not willing to, go and follow the skunks or spuds!

Because it's a political move. Ince needs mates at Blackburn and Andrews is a mate.

How did you figure that out?

If you know anything about Ince and Andrews relationship then you will know that they had a major fall out at Wolves and had a strictly working relationship at MK Dons. Regardless of what you think he is being signed because Ince feels that he could do a job for Rovers.

Fowler on the otherhand is a mate and weird how he has not been given a three year deal isnt it?

How did you figure that out?

If you know anything about Ince and Andrews relationship then you will know that they had a major fall out at Wolves and had a strictly working relationship at MK Dons. Regardless of what you think he is being signed because Ince feels that he could do a job for Rovers.

Fowler on the otherhand is a mate and weird how he has not been given a three year deal isnt it?

I was reading an article though where it said they had patched things up, so that is why I am saying it's a political move.

The same thing happened with Coleman when he was in charge at Fulham, he bought mates.

If we beat WH by 3 goals as well is he allowed then to do the inevitable and bring him in? ;)

If we beat the cockneys by 1 goal I'll be so pleased! A bit of an 'i was there' moment but May 1994 seems a long time ago when we secured european football for the first time!

Welcome to the club Keith!

Look forward to seeing him play for us. Let's make sure we give him 100% support whether people agree with it or not. He's one of us now!

Didn't want him but I hope there are no 'Not Wanted' banners. He's a Rover now.

Well like any new Rover I'm willing to give him a chance and see how it turns out.

For me there are three major reasons why this could turn out to be a good deal, four if you count the relaitvely cheap fee.

1. Ince was a midfielder himself and worked with Andrews at Wolves and MK Dons, he's seen him play a hundred odd times and trained with him week in week out, he knows about this player and his strengths and weaknesses.

2. We know Ince won't sign any old player, we've had the likes of Sable, Annan, Castillo on trial, could have signed them but chose not too, we decided to send them back. Ince is obviously keen on this lad otherwise he would have done the same.

3. Our current midfield is limited, Reid just hasn't been the same player he was for about 2 seasons now after a lot of injuries. He did okay on the right but in the center now he is a liability. Mokoena although one of our better performers so far isn't the most consistent. Andrews will give us options and could well prove to be an excellent squad player.

Welcome aboard Keith!

My only problem with this signing is why we need Andrews when Judge is coming through, showing promise and can play centrally. Our first team squad is going to be pretty huge.

There's no way Judge will make it in the Premier League. For one reason - you cannot have a central midfielder in the PL who is 4 foot 3 tall. He's destined for a role on the sidelines at Rovers and perhaps a career somewhere down the pyramid, unless someone invents football boots with stilts built in.

Archived