BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

Celebrating like we had won the Premier League against a team with injury probems is a bit small-time....

Oh lighten up ya miserable fcker!

I take it you weren't at Everton then? You try telling those that WERE THERE how we played, what it felt like and how we should have celebrated.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was more than a little disappointed that Nicko was proved correct with this one. However, I will reserve judgement - football is a team game where sometimes average players can shine in a team system that suits them (Atkins is an excellent example). We can only hope that Ince has seen something in Andrews that makes him think that he would be effective in Ince's long term team structure.

My only crumb of comfort is that Ince saw a few Premiership matches - and Premiership players training before making this signing. Surely (hopefully) this has given him enough of a barometer to judge whether Andrews can make the huge step up from the 4th to 1st Division (in old money).

Nicko right, Philip wrong....

I don't believe for a nanosecond that Keith Andrews will be joining Rovers.

I'm prepared to give Andrews a chance. I haven't seen him play for a few years since he was at Wolves, so I can't accurately judge him at the moment.

I'd like to see Rovers sign at least two more quality players before the transfer window closes, including a much needed right winger to give us balance, width and hopefully some pace on the right hand side.

Benni McCarthy, who has been woefully out of sorts for the past 12 months, needs a big kick up the backside to get him back into shape.

Keith Andrews's career stats so far...

(League games only)

MK Dons (Free Transfer from Hull) 30-08-2006 to 28-08-2008 - Games 75 (1) , Goals 18

Hull City (Free Transfer) 25-05-2005 to 30-08-2006 - Games 24 (5) , Goals 0

Walsall (Loan) 13-03-2004 to 10-05-2004 - Games 10, Goals 2

Stoke (Loan) 08-08-2003 to 09-11-2003 - Games 16, Goals 0.

Oxford (Loan) 10-11-2000 to 22-12-2000 - Games 4, Goals 0.

Wolves (Trainee) 01-08-1999 to 25-05-2005 - Games 41 (24), Goals 0.

Obviously Andrews's goal scoring record improved considerably in the last couple of years at MK Dons, compared with at Wolves, where he didn't score a single league goal and where he initially played in the same youth team at Molineux as his friend and fellow Irishman Robbie Keane.

Whilst Keane has been involved in transfers totalling over £50 million in his career, it's fair to say that Andrews's career has been a lot more modest. Let's hope he's a late developer....

So you were happy with the insipid Hull result?

Oh dear...

To be honest I thought the first half until Hull equalised we had played quite well. Second half the midfield was none existent, too much long ball and we didn't have the players to change it. It was Ince's second competitive game and if he learns from it that our midfield is not good enough then fine. The fact he's signed two midfielders since tells you he might have done.

I personally dont think Andrews will be up to much cop at this level, but Ince wont be the first or last manager to take a small risk on a lower league player. I don't remember any 'Dalglish Out' comments when we signed Simon Ireland.

[

Obviously Andrews's goal scoring record improved considerably in the last couple of years at MK Dons, compared with at Wolves, where he didn't score a single league goal and where he initially played in the same youth team at Molineux as his friend and fellow Irishman Robbie Keane.

You don't think that the sudden ability to score goals occurred because he was playing in a lower division then? Like for example Shefki being the Championship top goal scorer one season and then looking worryingly out of his depth in the Premier League the next?

No it's because he's improved as a footballer......in League 2.

Really...

Not my observation but a Wolves supporter on another site has suggested that Andrews must have caught Ince doing something naughty whilst playing for them. :P

So Andrews signs, like we all knew he would weeks ago.

The thing I don't get about the coverage of the deal is that there are no quotes from Ince. Obviously people (our fans and others) are going to be looking at this deal and thinking - :huh: , so why hasn't Ince at least attempted to defend the signing? What will Andrews bring to Rovers? Why does Ince believe he's capable of making the (collosal) step up?

I'll back Andrews unless he proves he's not capable, but in my opinion the club - especially Ince - should be doing more to win over the skeptics.

There will be a lot of fans, who don't use this or other messageboards who will be scratching their head wondering why we have signed Andrews. A 27 almost 28 year old player who has failed to make a real impact at the top level before.

I'm all for supporting the manager, but i don't agree with this bashing of fans because they are questioning why Ince has made this signing. I'll back Ince and will have to trust his judgement because the signing has been made. My gut feeling tells me this is a bad signing that won't come off and don't see what he can offer going off what i have read about the player from fans who have watched him week in week out.

We will have to wait annd see if those sceptical fans, including myself are proven wrong or not.

I guess we got him so now we have a battery of midfielders with different skills, thus giving us flexability in our tactics, ad can change our line up according to our opponents. From what little I've heard of Andrews, he's an energetic midfielder who covers the pitch. At about £750,000-£1m at least we haven't done a Woy.

The fact AESF has compiled a scrapbook of my BRFCS ramblings and jottings is obviously proof positive that I am a decent human being who is kind to animals and children...

Hope I am wrong about the quality and reasons for this signing but frankly, I don't like it.

Good luck Keith Andrews. I hope you need it and are not at Ewood as a favour.

Well aparently hes like Savage so if hes as good as Sav then weve got a diamond, support the lad he will need it.

When we bought Savage we needed a player like him. We moved on as a team and subsequently Savage moved on.

Andrews doesn't improve our starting 11. At 28 years old he should be in his prime. Not pleased by this move.

I have no problem with signing younger players like Simpson to pad the squad out, but signing Andrews stinks of Ince signing a buddy.

Good luck Keith Andrews. I hope you need it and are not at Ewood as a favour.

Agree, I cant say I am happy about how this has come about and like many it does feel to me like Ince has signed his mate however, I do not really think that any of us have watched the guy play regularly so really we shouldn't comment on his ability to play until we have seen him play a few rovers games (note that I say few there). He could be brilliant but I don't think he can be much worse than the axe. Anyway, when Dunny is fit I don't think he will be in the starting 11 every week anyway. Surly Ince has to favour Dunn/Grella/Reid and even Emerton in the middle.

Anyway, time will tell but for now I will welcome him and reserve judgment.

I think this signing is crap! We spend money on a player that players 2 div down and expect him to "do well". We need players that will make the team stronger or atleast be able to fill in for other players with out much drop in form, but to sign a player that in many repects may very well end up in playing for the reserves isnt IMO a great way to spend money! :angry:

This like many other people have said sounds to me like a "buddy" signing. May have played well in DIV 2 but this is prem football were talking about...Not Happy!!! :angry:

I think this signing is crap! We spend money on a player that players 2 div down and expect him to "do well". We need players that will make the team stronger or atleast be able to fill in for other players with out much drop in form, but to sign a player that in many repects may very well end up in playing for the reserves isnt IMO a great way to spend money! :angry:

This like many other people have said sounds to me like a "buddy" signing. May have played well in DIV 2 but this is prem football were talking about...Not Happy!!! :angry:

Jimmy Bullard/Jolean Lescott - they havent done to bad

Lescott was a Championship player. Andrews is a League Two player.

Well he was a League Two Player, was in fact league Two Player of the season and several chapionship clubs wanted to sing him. It would be fairer to say he is a League One/Championship standard.

The main emotion Im haveing about this is curiosity. Ince must know he is staking his reputation to an extent on this. I think it could work. All he has to do to justify the very small expenditure is be a decent option on the bench. Reid's knackered, the Axe is a bit rubbish. This guy could be decent.

Jimmy Bullard/Jolean Lescott - they havent done to bad

Could I throw in

Kevin Doyle (Irish league 3 years ago)

Dave Kitson ( non league at 20 years old, championship and below until 25)

Linvoy Primus (lower leagues til he was 31)

Give Andrews a chance, he has only cost £500K, Bruno Berner cost about the same! For the record Andrews has played the vast majority of his career in the Championship (6 years at Wolves)

Archived