BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Rovers Newest Signing

Where are you Dan? Just reading this page 17 from the top should convince you that it is time to take a cold shower and 2 or 3 asprin tablets. Oh and possibly a visit to an optometrist would be helpful as well. :rolleyes:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't at all impressed at the prospect of Andrews joining the club, especially not for the £1.5 - 2m being quoted. However, for under a million and after a solid 45 minutes - his first in any league above League One - I'm feeling a lot more optimistic. He is the sort of player I like to have in my team - he puts the ball on the deck and plays it, he can carry it forward and he can defend. He looks like a good all round midfielder.

Let's not get carried away with 45 minutes of playing time though, eh?

It's funny how prejudices work.

It would be really interesting to see someone like Steven Reid or Aaron Mokoena drop down into a League 2 central midfield and show of their "silky" Premier talent. I think they'd not be as good as people think.

In the Prem, there's higher pressure, better quality marking and defending - but one thing is easier, you have more time on the ball.

I wasn't at all impressed at the prospect of Andrews joining the club, especially not for the £1.5 - 2m being quoted. However, for under a million and after a solid 45 minutes - his first in any league above League One - I'm feeling a lot more optimistic. He is the sort of player I like to have in my team - he puts the ball on the deck and plays it, he can carry it forward and he can defend. He looks like a good all round midfielder.

Didn't he play for Wolves in the Championship?

Agree with the rest of the post, though.

you're right to a point, only because the inverse is true too. We can't condemn the fellow for being an out and out hack and really sucking out there like a lot (and admittedly me) of the posters thought would happen.

When Andrews came on, West Ham stopped powering throgh the middle the way they did against the woeful Vince Grella who probably would have seen red after 6 mins if Lucas Neill hadn't reached the ref before the ref reached his pocket.

Andrews had a debut to be very satisfied with irrespective of Warnock gifting West Ham the last two goals.

Warnock is made to look better than he actually is by MGP. He was subbed and we shipped 2 goals, fair enough we were pushing for the equaliser but MGP does so much down that left wing.

I think you are wrong Kayos.

MGP's dip in form coincided with Warnock joining the club.

It is not a coincidence. MGP is now a part time defender

Was it?

Must only be me then that sees what I thought was MGP never beating a man and hitting the defender with the ball at every cross.

So whos' the guy I thought was Warnock that actually runs with the ball and puts crosses in - have we signed a new player ? <_<

IMO Treacy neglected his defensive duties when he came on and put Warnock under increased pressure. Whether that was the intention or not, I'm not sure, but it was worth it because we were chasing the game. In fact, it would be worth it against most sides from the off because he is clearly such a threat going forward.

I remember Andrews having to cover a few times and made one very good tackle to stop a West Ham attack. However, if Treacy were to start we could always get Grella or Vogel to mop up behind him.

I also think that Pedersen's ability to defend as well as attack has improved, but everything else has declined, particularly the amount of balls he gets into the box. I think Treacy put double the amount of crosses in in a third of the amount of time against West Ham - and they were all more dangerous!

I also think that Pedersen's ability to defend as well as attack has improved,

Agree about the defensive element but his attacking game has gone backwards, as well as his corners and freekicks.

First and formeost I would have thought his remit is his attacking side of his game with the defence duties 2nd place -maybe its this defensive aspect that his detracting from his attacking ability. :(

IMO Treacy neglected his defensive duties when he came on and put Warnock under increased pressure. Whether that was the intention or not, I'm not sure, but it was worth it because we were chasing the game. In fact, it would be worth it against most sides from the off because he is clearly such a threat going forward.

I remember Andrews having to cover a few times and made one very good tackle to stop a West Ham attack. However, if Treacy were to start we could always get Grella or Vogel to mop up behind him.

To play with our wingers so far up the pitch I do feel we will have to play Grella no further than 15-20 yds in front of the back two. That way he can go out wide to cover the flanks if it breaks down. So your right, Ince wants his wingers bombing on so we will have to strengthen centrally to enable cover to be deployed when it goes wrong.

One other thing I do want to see change fast is Robbo's distribution. His kicks get serious distance but how many times did we not get possesion back, and where instantly put on the back foot.

We are a more solid outfit when MGP plays. Yes his crossing ability has declined but he still puts in a decent cross every game. The goal against grimsby (derbyshire) was a good cross.

Agree on that vintage but not necessarily Pedersen - what it does gives us is the balance which I believe in but he should be producing more than he is doing

One cross a game is not enough though do you not think for a winger.

This is where my viewpoint comes from and why the interlock does not appear to work between Pedersen and Warnock - Pedersens lack of drive and 'inconsistence' with crossing the ball and his tendency to drift creates a big hole down the left hand side which to me Warnock is trying to fill, but then succeeds in detracting from his own defensive duties.

Yep, Pedersen just has so little going for him in my mind. Can't beat a player, can't pick a clever pass, his crossing has got worse, set pieces are up and down (to the point where Reid is taking the free kicks and corners now). His main talents were arriving late in the box to score and strenth in the air. Both of these abilities seem to have weakend in the last year, mainly due to being kept back to allow Bentley adn Warnock to get forward. Maybe with Bentley gone he can recover these talents.

Also he does cover quite a bit of ground, and is good at closing down players. The problem he has got though is that:

1) Rovers have little pace in the side. Treacy offers pace.

2) Rovers only have one midfielder who can beat a player - Dunn. Treacy can double that number which we desperately need.

3) Treacy's quality of crossing with both feet, in the two competitive games we have seen him in, is much better than the Ped's.

4) Treacy does not seem like a lightweight guy who does not do his defensive duties. He is a big lad who is keen to close down.

Unless Treacy's two performances were flashes in the pan I think Gamst's days as a starter are numbered. We need players who can hurt the opposition. Treacy just looks far more likely than Pedersen.

the midfield was so poor defensively last season that MGP had to step up his defence game and help out the team. this is probably why he's not more of an attacking force like he was 2 seasons back.

I also feel that Pedersen having a more defensive remit made Warnock look a lot better as well. It reminded so much of the days of Wilcox and Le Saux.

Hmm.. could we have an interesting parallel to our recent past - I hope so.

You could liken, in many ways, Pederson to Wilcox. Neither particularly beat a man - but offer good crossing ability, hard work and balance to the side. Wilcox was effectively replaced by a strong dribbler with more pace - Duff, could we see history repeating itself with Pederson and Treacy (who in the brief glimpses I have seen, does remind me greatly of a young Duff in playing style).

Hmm.. could we have an interesting parallel to our recent past - I hope so.

You could liken, in many ways, Pederson to Wilcox. Neither particularly beat a man - but offer good crossing ability, hard work and balance to the side. Wilcox was effectively replaced by a strong dribbler with more pace - Duff, could we see history repeating itself with Pederson and Treacy (who in the brief glimpses I have seen, does remind me greatly of a young Duff in playing style).

but carrying that on..........Wilcox ended up at left back....can you see MGP at left back?

Warnock is made to look better than he actually is by MGP. He was subbed and we shipped 2 goals, fair enough we were pushing for the equaliser but MGP does so much down that left wing.

Totally agree,i said the same thing myself a few weeks back.MGP spends so much time helping Warnock out it affects MGP`s attacking duties.Also the lack of any quality in central midfield has hindered MGP in the last couple of seasons.

I think Hughes pointed out how much groung MGP covers in a game.

Hopefully Andrews will be in the same mould with regards to covering ground.

Archived