BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

We have sold two of our top players and not replaced them with equal quality, infact we dont even have a proper right winger now. This game have loss written all over it; of course I can be naive and say we'll win, but I rather be realistic and predict us to lose this one with a couple of goals.

It's the beginning of the end.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have sold two of our top players and not replaced them with equal quality, infact we dont even have a proper right winger now. This game have loss written all over it; of course I can be naive and say we'll win, but I rather be realistic and predict us to lose this one with a couple of goals.

Well looks like we will be down one board member as Krislu plummets to earth off the top of a tower block somewhere in norway...

Anyhoo, to be fair Everton were a marginally better side than us last term and are looking at some serious players - Moutinho, Love - who if they land before we get there will lengtehn the gap considerably. Also it si an away game. So all in all if you were a betting man a loss is more likely than a win.

That said we don't even really know how the manager is going to set up the side, or how we will play so it is really an exercise in guesswork. Personally, assuming no one signs on by Saturday, I think we could look something like this:

-----------------Cruz-----Roberts

--Pedersen------Reid---Dunn-----Emerton

--Warnock-----Nelsen---Samba---Simpson

-------------------------Robinson

There is an exceptional amount of graft in there, ever single one of those players will run and run till they are out of steam. Pedersen in paricular should benefit by being able to attack more and support the front two. We also have decent options on the bench in Ooijer, Zurab, McCarthy, Vogel, Derbyshire. So all is not lost.

The bad side is there is a lack of guile and flair, with Dunn really being the only player who can do something a bit different, and then only with very variable results. If Villaneuva is fit he can add that but his small stature and lack of experience suggests that he will need to be carried a little and put in a very advanced position, probably behind the striker. It would be a big lift if we can see him on the bench as I am sure he will not start.

We are still a decent side. But Ince needs to bring in some more genuine attacking quality if we are to get anywhere near the seventh of last year.

On paper and previous results a defeat - or draw at very best.

So I am going to defy all logic - and say a lucky 1-0 win to Rovers. Last year we were by far the better team for the majority of the match at Goodison. This time I can see us being second best but battling through to win against all the odds. Our team - which will basically pick itself - lacks flair (Dunn apart) - but has enough althleticism to possibly make up for it. Key is whether Santa plays or not, as I feel a combination of Santa and Roberts will be a handful for most teams.

Looking at our first set of fixtures - we really need to pick up the odd point at places like Everton or I fear more doom and gloom will descend on the players and fans - and ruin Ince's chances of being a success before he really gets started.

Depressed because of the rain? :unsure:

Great preview. The anticipation's really building.

Draw methinks, 1-1 although given we're a couple of midfield places short, and how many players we've had out over the past week or so it may well be a loss.

If all those missing last Saturday were precautionary I'm a lot more optimistic. Pedersen's recovery imo is the most important, given that it will be a midfield battle, as he works really hard. Equally I feel more happy with Emerton and Reid in midfield for this kind of game, given that it most likely will be a scrap in the centre of the park.

In defense a lot will depend on if Samba can manage Yakubu, and whether the extra week will see Simpson gell more with his team mates, as I reckon he's the weak link in the defence. He could be in for a tough time against Arteta and really needs to step up to the mark quickly.

Pretty good time to play everton - no players in as yet and even if they do they won't have had long to gel. Equally there's all the unrest over the ground as well, and if everton don't start well, the fans may well get on the team's case.

In fact the more I think about it the more optimistic I get. Come on the rovers!

Great preview. The anticipation's really building.

Draw methinks, 1-1 although given we're a couple of midfield places short, and how many players we've had out over the past week or so it may well be a loss.

If all those missing last Saturday were precautionary I'm a lot more optimistic. Pedersen's recovery imo is the most important, given that it will be a midfield battle, as he works really hard. Equally I feel more happy with Emerton and Reid in midfield for this kind of game, given that it most likely will be a scrap in the centre of the park.

In defense a lot will depend on if Samba can manage Yakubu, and whether the extra week will see Simpson gell more with his team mates, as I reckon he's the weak link in the defence. He could be in for a tough time against Arteta and really needs to step up to the mark quickly.

Pretty good time to play everton - no players in as yet and even if they do they won't have had long to gel. Equally there's all the unrest over the ground as well, and if everton don't start well, the fans may well get on the team's case.

In fact the more I think about it the more optimistic I get. Come on the rovers!

Does anyone know the status of RSC and MGP? I looked on physioroom the website and it indicates that they are both doubtful for the everton match. Does anyone have the inside scoop?

I don't know what the starting line-up will be but I wouldn't play Nelsen because of jet lag.

When did he get back to UK? Rest him anyway.

IMO Ooijer and Zurab are the best central pair because of their football brains. They both have a good sense of positional play. However they are both slow.

Perhaps Ooijer and the quick Samba would be best.

Reid on Saturday was poorish. Therefore, if fit, RSC I would put at right midfield with Emerton and Dunn in the centre. Last season RSC demonstrated how well he can play roving around the midfield. He's not just a pretty striker. So........

Robinson

Simpson Ooijer Samba Warnock

Santa Cruz Emerton Dunn Pedersen

McCarthy Roberts

Bench 7:- Brown, Zurab, Reid, Tugay,Villanueva, Treacy, Derbyshire.

Forecast......1-1

Woooo Hoooo - Steven Pienaar out for 6 weeks - SSN just reporting

They are also without Hibbert (shame- he's pretty useless) and Cahill. But then its odds on we will be without Villanueva, RSC and MGP.

Nelsen probably is back in the UK already so he will be OK to play.

Crunch in this game is who delivers which signatures for registration by the deadline to be able to play.

My head's telling me a 2-0 / 3-0 defeat. :( I hope I'm wrong and that Ince will be able to inspire the side to a win against a team who's supporters will be delighted to see a win against a former Liverpool player.

I think because of the limited options we'll see a team of:

---------------Robinson------------

Simpson --- Samba --- Nelsen --- Warnock

Emerton ---- Dunn ----- Reid ---- Pedersen

---------- McCarthy ---- Roberts ------------

I think Robinson will prove to be a decent signing but it will take him time to get his confidence back up so I feel we're a little suspect there.

The defence I'm happy about - it looks balanced and if we can cut out the mistakes from last year that should be the platform for a decent season.

Midfield looks ok but would prefer Vogel instead of Reid.

The strikers are what concerns me the most - On Saturday McCarthy was coming far too deep for the ball and Roberts was left isolated. If Benni could go back to the 2006/2007 season playing further forward then I think he'd do much better but for whatever reason he's not playing as the main striker. If we play 4-4-2 I'd like to see Derbyshire up front as his pace is suited for away games where we wont get as much time on the ball.

For me I'd go with 4-5-1 - pretty much the same team except bringing in Vogel in front of the back 4 for McCarthy.

Hope we win but I just cant see it :( Draw at best...

Great preview, that photo is a beauty and im still laughing now! Got my tickets for the game today, looking forward to it but not overly optimistic about getting an opening day 3 points. Still think our team has very little flair and creativity and Ince needs to get some new faces in before the deadline shuts.

I would guess the starting 11 would be: Robo - Simpson - Nelsen - Samba - Warnock - Emerton - Dunn - Reid - MGP - Roque - Benni, with impact subs of Matty and Roberts available if needs be.

Going for 1-1 (Yakubu / Benni), can't see us keeping a clean sheet and we usually do alright at Goodison.

Can anyone help, i'm driving down from Leeds for the game, can anyone recomend a place to park? Very grateful for any help given, Thanks!

Great preview, that photo is a beauty and im still laughing now! Got my tickets for the game today, looking forward to it but not overly optimistic about getting an opening day 3 points. Still think our team has very little flair and creativity and Ince needs to get some new faces in before the deadline shuts.

I would guess the starting 11 would be: Robo - Simpson - Nelsen - Samba - Warnock - Emerton - Dunn - Reid - MGP - Roque - Benni, with impact subs of Matty and Roberts available if needs be.

Going for 1-1 (Yakubu / Benni), can't see us keeping a clean sheet and we usually do alright at Goodison.

Can anyone help, i'm driving down from Leeds for the game, can anyone recomend a place to park? Very grateful for any help given, Thanks!

you could try parking in mill hill somwhere near the navigation pup so you can have a pint first then its just five minutes walk down the canal.

Woooo Hoooo - Steven Pienaar out for 6 weeks - SSN just reporting

We really couldn't wish for a better time to play them. Then again, they have beaten us before with their reserve reserve goalie in nets while down to 10 men.

last time we opened a season with Emerton on the right wing, wasn't that the 5-1 win?

I'm expecting for us to get handed a 5-1 tonking this time around, and that makes everyone on the "fire Ince now" bandwagon all the joyful misery they could want for a lifetime (or at least until next week).

Oh and at least 3 of those 5 will be Robinson howlers of the 'highest' quality so that his detractors can fire up the media for a few more weeks.

At that point, the entire club fecks off to our rivals: Tottenham, Newcastle, Villa, Bolton, Fullham, Sunderland and Hull.

Ince has to re-register himself in order to field a full 11 for the following week.

Now, for the 'positive'.... I'm "positive" that EVERYTHING in this post won't happen. (I mean after all, not even Sunderland would sign Robinson after 3 howlers).

Archived