BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

I dont understand how people are comparing roberts to dickov. Roberts strength is infact his strength, presence, power and pace. How can you compare that to a player who's strength was pestering defenders, making off the ball runs etc.

If you're going to compare Roberts to former players lets compare him to Shefqi Kuqi. And compare Dickov to Derbyshire. Both are current strikers are better than our former ones. I still love and respect both Shefqi and Dickov, because they gave their heart for the club.

We have a striker that terrifies defences. He may not terify keepers YET but working with Roque is bringing out the best in him.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont understand how people are comparing roberts to dickov. Roberts strength is infact his strength, presence, power and pace. How can you compare that to a player who's strength was pestering defenders, making off the ball runs etc.

If you're going to compare Roberts to former players lets compare him to Shefqi Kuqi. And compare Dickov to Derbyshire. Both are current strikers are better than our former ones. I still love and respect both Shefqi and Dickov, because they gave their heart for the club.

We have a striker that terrifies defences. He may not terify keepers YET but working with Roque is bringing out the best in him.

lets stop arguing about it, thought Dickov was a relegation battling player FULL STOP, I don't think he is a good player.

Robeerts has something to prove lets hope he does, I would like to think he can preform above the level of dickov, and be a striker good enough for a top 10 team. added that to a top 4 stirker in santa cruz, it might work out.

Now I've defended Roberts on here more than once. I do think that he is difficult to mark and his goals have shown that, yesterdays was excellent.

BUT

Anybody who takes a straight run up for a penalty should never be allowed to take one again.

Anyone remember that League Cup (?) game against Liverpool when Heskey was denied a hat-trick as Brad Friedel saved his penalty? The Liverpool players that day, through benevolence and recognition that it wouldn't matter, allowed Heskey to take the penalty and inevitably fail due to his crap technique.

We were not winning 4-0. We did not have numerical advantage. Why was Roberts allowed to take that penalty? I don't care how confident a player like Heskey or Roberts is, they have poor technique and rarely strike a ball well. They should not be taking pens.

Someone who can actually strike a dead ball well is a man for a penalty - Andrews, Derbyshire, Gamst.

Someone who can actually strike a dead ball well is a man for a penalty - Andrews, Derbyshire, Gamst.

It's not as easy as that it's about temperament too. (btw Just a guess but Warnock might have that) After the Derbyshire pen at Villa last season (could this have been the sliding door moment btw that cost us europe, our manager and star players?) this should have been sorted out at Brockhall and not Upton Park.

I've never been a big fan of Jason Roberts but have to admit he has been Rovers best striker so far this season.

His confidence was as high as it possibly could be so as a striker you would expect him to bury a pen. Unfortunately he has never been the best at one on one situations.

From my recollection thats two pens taken in the premiership...two missed. Please don't give a chance of maaking it a hat-trick!

Hopefully it will not dent his confidence too much and he carries on in this rich vein of form.

I've never been a big fan of Jason Roberts but have to admit he has been Rovers best striker so far this season.

His confidence was as high as it possibly could be so as a striker you would expect him to bury a pen. Unfortunately he has never been the best at one on one situations.

From my recollection thats two pens taken in the premiership...two missed. Please don't give a chance of maaking it a hat-trick!

Hopefully it will not dent his confidence too much and he carries on in this rich vein of form.

He has taken three for Rovers and scored one. He shouldn't be taking pens in my opinion. I agree that he has been outstanding this season though...

He has taken three for Rovers and scored one. He shouldn't be taking pens in my opinion. I agree that he has been outstanding this season though...

Same here, he has been very good up front this season, but no penalty taker, I woulda thought pedersen or derbo should have taken it!!!

Or even Nelsen, bloody hell it was a weak pen

Nelson............a player who has never looked like scoring.............probably

Robinson would take a better penalty....at least he has scored!

Out of interest who did he score against.......i honestly can't remember!

Nelson............a player who has never looked like scoring.............probably

Robinson would take a better penalty....at least he has scored!

Out of interest who did he score against.......i honestly can't remember!

In the absence of Benni, Robinson taking the pens is a very good idea.

BUT

Anybody who takes a straight run up for a penalty should never be allowed to take one again.

Didn't Shearer always take a straight run up? I'm pretty sure he did, but he had the ability to bury the ball with power into any of the four corners of the goal.

Roberts can't - so sod the run up - he shouldn't be taking penalties full stop. That was one of the worst penalties I've ever seen, and since Shearer we've seen plenty of bad ones.

Here's a simple equation that Blackburn Rovers Football Club will EVENTUALLY, one day, choose to accept:

JASON ROBERTS = NOT GOOD ENOUGH. :angry:

I don't care how "on fire" he's deemed to have been at the start of this season, he's Championship-level at best. He can trap the ball further than most people can kick it. And how many other players of his ilk/style (as in brute-force powerhouses) are allowed penalty-taking duties at their clubs?

Answer? Zero.

Reason? They miss them.

Has anyone else noticed he's toe-poking everything this season? His two goals were like that and he did it against Everton (I think it was after that run from the left side) when he should have done better. It's working so far, but you don't see many professional players toe-poking the ball, and there's probably a very good reason for that...

Not only was that penalty awful by the way (his upper body looked incredibly uncomfortable), but it also seemed really half arsed.

Here's a simple equation that Blackburn Rovers Football Club will EVENTUALLY, one day, choose to accept:

JASON ROBERTS = NOT GOOD ENOUGH. :angry:

I don't care how "on fire" he's deemed to have been at the start of this season, he's Championship-level at best. He can trap the ball further than most people can kick it. And how many other players of his ilk/style (as in brute-force powerhouses) are allowed penalty-taking duties at their clubs?

Answer? Zero.

Reason? They miss them.

:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

So true.

• 4 weeks later...

Roberts does seem to have a problem with frustration. He is fine when he is in the team and doing well but gets very disconsolate and agitated when he is dropped. And although I think he will make a decent amount of starts over the year, and will probably be on from the outset against Utd, largely he looks like he will be third choice behind the Cruz and Carlos pairing this season. He will be used primarily when we need a bit of power and pace against attacking teams who play with a high line, or as an impact sub to change the shape of a game.

If he was any good in the air he would be a frightening footballer for any defence, but he just lets himself down really badly in this area as he always needs the ball into his feet or chest.

I wouldn't be suprised if he again aggressively looks to move on in January. Problems at home can't help either. It would be a shame because he is an attacking option that few have in this league, and we would be weakend if he wasn't available in the squad.

Hmm, Given let down his defence in conceding the two goals; more like the other way round as Given didn't have an earthly chance with two well directed headers across him from 6 yards out.

Thankfully Roberts got booked for the challenge so it cannot be called for review.

Archived