BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BBC audio interview with Jason here.

Contract expiring less than two years from now- Rovers have to make their move and renew it now. He is of an age that he could buy out the rest of his contract and move as a free agent already this season.

This is virtually nothing to do with football merit and all to do with Rovers protecting their interests.

Nobody seems to be reading into it like you philipl but I do, looks like the only sensible solution to the situation regarding Rovers and Jason Roberts.

A good positive move by the club.

I am a bit worried about this because Jason's main assets are his pace and his power. He will probably be able to keep the latter going with the amount of work he does in the gym and through his sheer size, but he is at the age now where you cannot help but lose the former.

Roberts without pace is not really much of a threat. He can't head the ball, a poor finisher, poor first touch, no vision, predictable passing. If he can't get in behind (something he seems to have been struggling with this season compared to last) then all he can do is hold the ball up with his feet. Problem is that whilst he can do that very well he is not so great at picking out the players running off him. And the fact he can't head makes the idea of him being a target man a bit pointless.

I can understand that Rovers want to protect their investment, and I have a big soft spot for Roberts, but I am not sure that investment is going to be worth much in around six months.

Listening to the radio on way home from work:

''And there's some good news for Rovers fans!'' announces the sport's presenter in an excited voice......

Brief pause and thought of potential new multi-Billionare investor comes racing through the old mind,the senses are hightened,slightly wetted brow :o .........

''Jason Roberts signs new deal'' announces presenter.......

:angry2: WTF! ........Que face like a smacked arse :angry2:

I am a bit worried about this because Jason's main assets are his pace and his power. He will probably be able to keep the latter going with the amount of work he does in the gym and through his sheer size, but he is at the age now where you cannot help but lose the former.

Roberts without pace is not really much of a threat. He can't head the ball, a poor finisher, poor first touch, no vision, predictable passing. If he can't get in behind (something he seems to have been struggling with this season compared to last) then all he can do is hold the ball up with his feet. Problem is that whilst he can do that very well he is not so great at picking out the players running off him. And the fact he can't head makes the idea of him being a target man a bit pointless.

I can understand that Rovers want to protect their investment, and I have a big soft spot for Roberts, but I am not sure that investment is going to be worth much in around six months.

I think the only thing we have to worry about here is wether Rovers are paying Jason more per week than any prospective buyer would be interested in paying for his services.

Ah well, - so long as it's only a matter of stopping him leave for free. Hopefully it's not a sign of Ince's long term plans.

Another piece of puzzling work in the transfer market, to go along with Denying Benni his move to Sunderland, selling Bentley, etc, etc.

I must be in a minority on here as I'm quite chuffed he has signed a contract exyension. Good player (in matches that call for a battering ram) is our Jase. Didn't some rate him as MOTM last week?

Agree totally - can't believe the stick that he is getting.

In an ideal world Santa is first choice - but Roberts is a reasonable stand-in, and good occasional starter when the match dictates. Lets be realistic - we can't afford four top quality strikers like Roque - for me Roberts is an excellent back up that many clubs would like.

His problem is he does not score enough goals for a striker..Not a bad player though...who else will we get anyway..any good players we find get taken by other clubs with more money and bigger crowds..that is our lot I'm afraid..better him than fooking Robbie "Fat" Fowler...

His problem is he does not score enough goals for a striker..Not a bad player though...who else will we get anyway..any good players we find get taken by other clubs with more money and bigger crowds..that is our lot I'm afraid..better him than fooking Robbie "Fat" Fowler...

He has quite a decent scoring record in the Premier League hasn't he?

The problem is he never quite becomes a permanant fixture in the side (his own words). I would prefer Roberts to Derbyshire TBH. Not including Fowler of course who should be shot.

He is only any good when he gets his head down and runs through players. He is quick once he gets going but i don't think he's got anything in the way of acceleration. In many ways he reminds me of a Ford Mondeo!

Trouble is i only seem to see him furthest forward with his back to goal. He gets the ball into his feet and after its pinged off his knee then he's taken a couple of attempts to get it under control, any lay off is usually long gone.

Please forgive me for what i am about to say, but he strikes me as another Heskey.....without the intelligence.

He has the stature to be a real menace, but he never uses it to either his benefit or anyone elses. I cannot fault his work ethic and there have been numerous times when watching McCarthy having another lazy Saturday afternoon, when i have called for him to come on. But he always leaves me wondering just what he actually brings to the side.

Not alot - especially if we want to be top 10.

He is not even close to Heskey in terms of talent.

One of the most annoying things of JR is when he gives up and has a moan at the ref, yet he is the biggest player on the pitch but cant shrug his man off.

There are people that think Jay is an asset to this team, thankfully I aint one of them people and if i was in charge of rovers I wouldnt be giving him a three year contract.

I guess when you look at it, could rovers do better with the money at our disposal?

Archived