BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
I noticed he toe-poked it again last night. He must be the only striker in the league that tries to finish almost every chance he gets with a toe-poke.

I don't remember him ever "striking" a ball properly from any distance. He doesn't seem able to hit a ball with any kind of power - a bit of a drawback for a centre forward. :lol:

For all the good stuff that he does (and in my opinion there's a lot), its starting to look as though it may well be Jason Roberts finishing that relegates us.

Could he be the modern day Ashley Ward?

As a Villa fan looking in, must say I'm surprised about why Benni McCarthy is out of favour again considering Big Sam had him playing quite well a few weeks ago. I suppose looking at it, he wanted Roberts for the more physical approach against Everton but McCarthy was your most inform striker so seems strange to me to drop him.

Roberts has always been a bit of a funny player I think. He;s big and strong and quick so has all the attributes but something isn't there that stops him being top class, suppose the shiteness of his finishing has something to do with it!

where Spurs have a 15 million Defoe and 18 million Keane, what more can we expect then Roberts, was only 3 million.

I still can;t believe he missed again, it must be embarrassing for him, he's got fellow pro's careers on the line and he choking infront of goal and vital moments.

why would he kick it straight at the keeper.

I bet everyone just imagined what a proper striker would have done "dink"

Its been said a thousand times before but it remains true - none of our other strikers would have got themselves in to the position to miss the chance that Roberts missed last night. He's so strong and quick, he's a real asset and on his day he's one of my favourite players. His performance against City at home this year was as good an all round performance as I've seen from one of our strikers since Shearer. I just wish he could finish, he'd be ###### dynamite.

Its been said a thousand times before but it remains true - none of our other strikers would have got themselves in to the position to miss the chance that Roberts missed last night. He's so strong and quick, he's a real asset and on his day he's one of my favourite players. His performance against City at home this year was as good an all round performance as I've seen from one of our strikers since Shearer. I just wish he could finish, he'd be ###### dynamite.

but he's not a "fox in the box" or great header of the ball, so the chances he creates for himself are playing to his strengths, turning players with stength and pace but he still can't finish at the end.

but hell we knew that before he came, so if SA plays him thats his call.

if only he had Beatie's shooting boots

For all the good stuff that he does (and in my opinion there's a lot), its starting to look as though it may well be Jason Roberts finishing that relegates us.

At least you are one of the few that recognises the "good stuff". I to fear that his misses could prove costly. Even a 50% ratio on some of his recent misses would see us mid-table.

However - a lot of the misses - incl last night - have been largely as a result of his pace and strengthen. Lets be honest - there is no way McCarthy would have got himself in the position that Roberts worked for himself last night. He wouldn't have had the pace to get away from their defence - and most likely would have been off-side in the build up anyway :rolleyes:

In Roberts defence, if he was missing five or six clear cut chances a game I would be a lot more critical.

We're only creating an odd chance here or there which makes missing them look a lot worse than if we were creating four or five good chances a game and he were only converting one or two of those.

I think Roque could have got in the same position with his strength and pace and would have had a great chance of putting it away.

No, he would never have had the pace to get in front of the defenders. Roberts' pace and power is something that we don't get from anyone else, but the reason then has to be asked, why haven't we looked to bring in someone with those physical assets who can also keep a bit of composure in a one on one? We have to play Roberts at times because he's the only player we have who provides a threat apart from skill or intelligence, there's something wrong with that. Roberts can try and create himself a chance a game, but I know that in this situation I want Benni up front. If a chance has to drop to anyone in these next few weeks I know who I want trying to slot it past the keeper.

I think Roque could have got in the same position with his strength and pace and would have had a great chance of putting it away.

You are completely wrong. No way, no how.

No, he would never have had the pace to get in front of the defenders. Roberts' pace and power is something that we don't get from anyone else, but the reason then has to be asked, why haven't we looked to bring in someone with those physical assets who can also keep a bit of composure in a one on one? We have to play Roberts at times because he's the only player we have who provides a threat apart from skill or intelligence, there's something wrong with that. Roberts can try and create himself a chance a game, but I know that in this situation I want Benni up front. If a chance has to drop to anyone in these next few weeks I know who I want trying to slot it past the keeper.

I disagree, Roque is a lot quicker than people make out and his body strength as shown with his ability to hold up the ball is superb. I've seen Roque score from Roberts position before at both club and international level.

I think you've made it clear that your not a Roque fan Eddie and rate Benni over him. I agree about bringing Benni back into the team though as he adds something else, i would drop Roberts to bring him in though, not Roque.

has to be asked, why haven't we looked to bring in someone with those physical assets who can also keep a bit of composure in a one on one?

Probably because those sort of players cost a fortune.

Although, having said that, Ricardo Fuller seems to be very similar to Roberts but with skill on the ball and decent finishing skills. Probably a bit old now to be a genuine alternative though.

Edit: Didn't realise he was only 29. I'd take him in an instant if Stoke went down, seems the perfect sort of player to bring off the bench to change a game.

Archived