BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its been said a thousand times before but it remains true - none of our other strikers would have got themselves in to the position to miss the chance that Roberts missed last night. He's so strong and quick, he's a real asset and on his day he's one of my favourite players. His performance against City at home this year was as good an all round performance as I've seen from one of our strikers since Shearer. I just wish he could finish, he'd be ###### dynamite.

Everybody says Roberts should have scored the goal against Everton, yet nobody considers how quick the keeper came off his line. ok in my view Roberts could have done better - but some one on ones you have to give the keeper credit.

It would be nice to think Roberts is actually a good finisher but is just unlucky at facing good keepers, but that unfortunately is not the case.

He should have hit the one on Wednesday with his left foot, simple as that.

• Backroom

Fair enough Roberts have missed a few he should have put away this season but most of those he has worked bloody hard to create, I agree with the fact that no other of our strikers would have got into position to get a shot away on wednesday.

I think he gets a bit of a rough ride sometimes, now people are going as far as saying we'd be better of with Gallagher which is total nonsense as far as I can see.

Edit: I wonder if Roque and Roberts chances were swapped around who would be getting the most stick still? Pretty sure people would still berate roberts.

I disagree, Roque is a lot quicker than people make out and his body strength as shown with his ability to hold up the ball is superb. I've seen Roque score from Roberts position before at both club and international level.

I think you've made it clear that your not a Roque fan Eddie and rate Benni over him. I agree about bringing Benni back into the team though as he adds something else, i would drop Roberts to bring him in though, not Roque.

Santa Cruz is faster than people think, but he isn't anywhere near as quick as Roberts and there is no way that he gets anywhere close to that ball.

I think McCarthy is a better player than both Santa Cruz and Roberts, I think we should have sold Santa Cruz, but that doesn't mean that I don't think Santa Cruz is a good player. I would pay Santa Cruz and McCarthy together in a 4-4-2, although at this point you'd have to say that Roberts and McCarthy have probably looked and been our most successful partnership. I'd still give Santa Cruz and McCarthy a run of 5ish games to see if they can put it together, but Benni has to be playing for me.

Same old problem. Roberts is the only striker we had who could have created that chance from the position he was in when the ball was played up to him. I feel the defender would probably have got back at Roque and Benni would have ended up turning back and laying it square. The problem is Roberts can't finish. He'd be better blasting them because at least someone might pick up the rebound off the keeper.

A similar thing happened with Roque's chance against Everton. Wasn't it Roberts who created it by bullying his way past someone out on the wing and getting along the byeline. When was the last time MGP did that?

It's a tough one because undoubtedly Benni is the best finisher at the club but doesn't seem to get involved in games unless we are well on top.

I don't remember him ever "striking" a ball properly from any distance. He doesn't seem able to hit a ball with any kind of power - a bit of a drawback for a centre forward. :lol:

I've said that! It's an even bigger drawback when he's so crap in the air too! :rolleyes:

why would he kick it straight at the keeper.

Keepers do their homework big time now and they'll all be aware that all they have to do is to wait until he's 3-4 yards away and then simply spread themselves to block his toe poke. It's time he either ***'d it sooner or pretended the toe poke and took it around them. Evertons keeper laid down so early when Roberts was approaching that it's reprehensible that he could not adapt and either dink it over him or take it around him.

How could he be so predictable though?

I mean, it's liek he does the same thing every time, and it never works. Yet he has a coaching class on the Beeb website showinh him taking it round the 'keeper.

I honestly can't understand it - someone explain it to me!

How could he be so predictable though?

I mean, it's liek he does the same thing every time, and it never works. Yet he has a coaching class on the Beeb website showinh him taking it round the 'keeper.

I honestly can't understand it - someone explain it to me!

It's when he has time to think about it that he struggles. If he has to hit something first time he tends to do better. Probably why he isn't good at penalties.

I can't believe no one has posted in here since last night!

I'm delighted for Roberts, he's a good, hard working honest guy who gives us a dimension that we wouldnt have without him. His record this season isn't bad even with his misses, and he went a long way towards making up the Everton miss last night. He already made up for the Sunderland miss with his performance and goal against City, it was just a shame his team-mates let him down.

It has to be 4-4-2, Benni and J-Ro for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty sure that's the first time he's put his foot through the ball when having a shot, and what a result! No more toe-poking please Jason, just do that whenever you get near the goal.

I'm still not going to be confident next time he goes through one-on-one, but in situations like last night (where he doesn't have time to think about the finish) he can be very good.

Not sure how you've got Benni ahead of Roque though, Santa's been excellent the last few weeks and Benni didn't really do much last night. Nice to have the competition though.

Benni plays better with Roberts than with Santa, and Roberts plays better with Benni than with Santa. I was looking at it from the point of view of wanting to play 4-4-2 therefore needing 2 strikers that can play together. It would be interesting to see the stats, but I would imagine a lot of Roberts goals this season have come when Benni has been on the pitch. And vice versa.

I agree with T4E. Benni & Roberts are the best pairing as the seem to click. Also they are the future, Roque seems to be working at about 70% right now.

Benni is a natural goal scorer who can hold a ball up well and link others in. He will always score if given the chance.

Robers is a battering ram and full of running. He can also be handy like he showed last night - we just need to make sure he doesnt have any time to think about getting his shot away - just do it!!

I agree with T4E. Benni & Roberts are the best pairing as the seem to click. Also they are the future, Roque seems to be working at about 70% right now.

Benni is a natural goal scorer who can hold a ball up well and link others in. He will always score if given the chance.

Robers is a battering ram and full of running. He can also be handy like he showed last night - we just need to make sure he doesnt have any time to think about getting his shot away - just do it!!

benni and roberts ain't the future. roberts and zigic or roberts and some bosnian or russian. roque will be replaced and bennis been disinterested for 18 months and time needs to be called especially when theres £40k+per week being completely disinterested.

Roque was playing through the pain and with injections and now his knee is swollen and inflamed,how can you say he`sworking about 70%?

By watching his performances closely. Maybe he was playing below par due to injuries - I never said he wasnt, hopefully he will improve when he gets over his injury then?

1995 - Realistically Benni & Roberts ARE the future + hopefully a replacement for Roque and maybe 1 more.

People seem quick to dismiss Benni if he hasnt scored for a couple of weeks. FACTS dont lie - He is still our top scorer, has scored 7 league goals in 19 games (8 of which were started as sub). Compare that to RSC - 4 goals in 20 (3 as sub). Give him games and chances and he will get you the goals.

As much as I knocked Jason for his miss against Everton his goal for Fulham was an exceptional finish and how he turned his defender was great. So swings and roundabouts there, remind me of his game winner against Fulham next time I'm slagging him off for a simple miss.

Archived