BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

He started reasonably well in the Premiership with Wigan but even then went on a significant drought. I'd be surprised if his scoring record at the top level was much better than Heskey's, if at all.

Heskey - Games 603, Goals 138 - Only 1 season out of the prem....when he bagged 7 goals

Roberts - Games 391, Goals 154 - However 113 of them were not scored in the top league...So in 7 premier league seasons he has scored 41 goals.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Roberts is that he has a very one dimensional game. He is exceptionally strong, can turn a defender very well indeed, and has decent pace for a big guy. However he can't head the ball, he is not a finisher, has no real guile and has no vision or passing ability. If he faces a defender who can handle him physically it is game over.

What is interesting about the 433 we ended up playing against Pompey is that suddenly he became very hard to mark properly and he got more room to use his direct approach to unsettle defenders. If we go down the multiple striker route I think he has quite a lot to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Roberts is that he has a very one dimensional game. He is exceptionally strong, can turn a defender very well indeed, and has decent pace for a big guy. However he can't head the ball, he is not a finisher, has no real guile and has no vision or passing ability. If he faces a defender who can handle him physically it is game over.

What is interesting about the 433 we ended up playing against Pompey is that suddenly he became very hard to mark properly and he got more room to use his direct approach to unsettle defenders. If we go down the multiple striker route I think he has quite a lot to offer.

He can turn a defender very well? Perhaps, until they realise all they need to do is stand two feet behind him and wait for him to give them the ball. He's so easy to defend against.

He's a diving muppet as well, he'd be so much more effective if he stayed on his feet.

• 4 weeks later...

I have defended him in the past, but when he plays poor at the moment, it is dam right awful.

Looked a bit dejected and fuming when he got subbed off - thought this could be his type of game, scrappy as hell, obviously not.

As an impact substitute, Roberts is quite decent. Usually he’ll at least put the effort in and cause defenders problems. Last night, he was a disgrace. How can he moan about not getting first team football – when he gets his chance he puts in no effort whatsoever? Lack of ability can be forgiven, lack of effort can’t.

It has to be Kalinic and Di Santo upfront on Saturday – and Hoillet needs to start on the right. I’d probably play Pedersen to give Givet some protection against Lennon. If Dunn is back though, it will be 4-5-1.

It has to be Kalinic and Di Santo upfront on Saturday – and Hoillet needs to start on the right. I’d probably play Pedersen to give Givet some protection against Lennon. If Dunn is back though, it will be 4-5-1.

Might be better to play Chimbonda over there with Givet at centre half. A combination of Givet and Nelsen will get frazzled by Lennons pace.

Perfect type of game for JR, chance to prove himself - HE LOOKED AWFUL!!

Then he has the cheek to look in amazement when he is subbed off - he is crap, not good enough and simply not good enough for the premiership!

LET HIM GO!!!!!!

What I couldn't get over is that it looked like we were playing with one upfront but we had two. Roberts played exactly the same as if he were up on his own. There was no communication or link between them at all. When one had the ball the other was missing.

Roberts has had plenty of chances but, for me, last night was the end.

I was utterly bemused by Sam's decision to start Roberts, who has done nothing to justify a starting place in the side. He's only proved useful against weary defenders with fifteen minutes to go. Forget selling Benni, Roberts must be offloaded asap.

What I couldn't get over is that it looked like we were playing with one upfront but we had two. Roberts played exactly the same as if he were up on his own. There was no communication or link between them at all. When one had the ball the other was missing.

Roberts has had plenty of chances but, for me, last night was the end.

For me the end came on Saturday when he came on as a sub and looked like he couldn't care less.He couldn't even be bothered to try to win a corner, just let the ball run off. He doesn't even seem to know what a football looks like at the moment - he certainly never looks to get his foot on one and try to bring other players in which is generally the point of his battering ram type of player. If there's anyone daft enough to buy him then we must sell.

I was utterly bemused by Sam's decision to start Roberts

I could understand why Sam thought he might have made a good foil for Kalinic, I remember in Hughes' final season that Santa Cruz always played a lot better when Roberts was alongside him...indeed they were Hughes' first choice that season (yes, even ahead of McCarthy!!!! :o ).

My early optimism was definitely misplaced though, Roberts was absolutely appalling. I can't recall a striker ever playing that bad for us. Every time he got the ball he lost, and he seems to suffer from severe delusions of grandeur as he always seems to think he can take men on and beat them.

I'd be happy if I never saw him play for us again after that.

I could understand why Sam thought he might have made a good foil for Kalinic, I remember in Hughes' final season that Santa Cruz always played a lot better when Roberts was alongside him...indeed they were Hughes' first choice that season (yes, even ahead of McCarthy!!!! :o ).

My early optimism was definitely misplaced though, Roberts was absolutely appalling. I can't recall a striker ever playing that bad for us. Every time he got the ball he lost, and he seems to suffer from severe delusions of grandeur as he always seems to think he can take men on and beat them.

I'd be happy if I never saw him play for us again after that.

I kid you not, I'd sooner have Kuqi back than play the weakest muscleman in the Universe.

• 2 weeks later...

Just perusing one of my lads Christmas presents, a book called 'Football wit' by Aubrey Malone when I came across this quote by Gary Megson............

"Jason Roberts? This is the man who spelt his name wrong on his transfer request'. :lol:

I must say this is partly balanced out a page or two later by a quote from the late great Bill Shankly who was reputed to have said after losing patience with a player....

"The trouble with you san (son) is that your brains are all in your head".

Archived