BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its about time, could take a while to find a bidder though

I think it's telling that the story says Rovers will 'listen to offers'.

That roughly says give us anything to get this useless, bumbling idiot off our wage bill.

I'd be chuffed if we got a fiver for him.

Sell Jason don´t mean have to buy replacement. Selling Benni too and we do need someone coming in. Possible Roberts money got to be used for decent midfielder, a creative one. Could be a winger too. We must sell someone else too to buy that midfielder. Andrews, Diouf, MGP, Zura or Tracey. £1,5M for Jason and bye bye.

I like JR as a man, he seems like a genuine nice guy who has done a lot of good with the money he earns. Having said that, he just isn't good enough now. He seems to have lost something in the last few years (and no I don't think it's Sams fault) and, as a result, he doesn't score goals any more. Good idea to sell and use the money wisely if possible. I don't think I want a has-been on the chance he might score but we might be limited to that because of money.

I like JR as a man, he seems like a genuine nice guy who has done a lot of good with the money he earns. Having said that, he just isn't good enough now. He seems to have lost something in the last few years (and no I don't think it's Sams fault) and, as a result, he doesn't score goals any more. Good idea to sell and use the money wisely if possible. I don't think I want a has-been on the chance he might score but we might be limited to that because of money.

I think it's fair to say that Rovers are going nowhere with Jason Roberts - and Jason Roberts is going nowhere with Rovers.

Although to be fair, he has scored more League goals than our other three strikers combined.

Don't disagree with selling him if we can, he has obviously had his differences with Sam and his game seems to have dropped off as a result.

It would be interesting to see statistics on how many goals the partnership between Roberts and McCarthy has got, they seem to complement each others weaknesses quite well. That being said, Roberts is a lot like Paul Dickov: Contributes a lot to a team, but does it by running in the way of every other player around him and doesn't score enough goals. A team with Jason Roberts or Paul Dickov in it fights against relegation instead of striving upwards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Once again showed today why he needs to go.

He's probably the player that infuriates me the most in the team. He has the ability to beat his man and get into some seriously dangerous positions, but his finishing is beyond poor. Give him a chance to think about it and you can guarentee that he'll miss. I don't even want to think about how many points his misses have cost us over the course of the last couple of seasons.

Strange thing is, I'm sure he used to be a decent finisher. It's quite rare that strikers lose their finishing touch as they get older, but that seems to be the case with Jason. If we could get anything upwards of 1.5M for him, I'd take it.

Once again showed today why he needs to go.

He's probably the player that infuriates me the most in the team. He has the ability to beat his man and get into some seriously dangerous positions, but his finishing is beyond poor. Give him a chance to think about it and you can guarentee that he'll miss. I don't even want to think about how many points his misses have cost us over the course of the last couple of seasons.

Strange thing is, I'm sure he used to be a decent finisher. It's quite rare that strikers lose their finishing touch as they get older, but that seems to be the case with Jason. If we could get anything upwards of 1.5M for him, I'd take it.

Thought he played well today miss aside, but realistically he has no future at Rovers. A matter of time.

I always admire his strength, work rate and breaking free into goal scoring opportunities. On one hand, he puts away that magnificent finish away to Fulham last season, on the other hand the endless list of one on one misses especially in games there to be won is hurtful. Id take a chance with a swap for Beattie.

• Backroom

He needs a finisher alongside him, or he's useless. He needs someone crossing in (for an instinct shot) or he's useless. Get rid, get Beattie in and we'll be reet imo. Beattie does everything Roberts does, but can finish, can take set-pieces and supports us.

Fixed

• Backroom

I think part of the reason Roberts angers me so much is that he has almost everything else needed to be a top striker. He's got good movement, he can tussle with defenders, he can get on the end of crosses and if need be fashion his own chances.

However, he lacks the most important attribute for a striker - finishing! You can forgive a few misses here and there, but a 30 year old veteran striker should not be so awful at one-on-ones. His misses have often been the difference between 1 or 3 points for us.

It's partially due to his position - goals win games, after all. His job is to score goals and he misses too many crucial chances. Diouf, for example, is a worse player than Roberts. However, his mistakes don't usually have as huge effect as Roberts' do. However, unlike Roberts I have very low expectations of Diouf and I don't think he can perform above his current level. Roberts can, purely through improving his finishing, but every time he gets a golden opportunity he throws it away.

Archived